Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Does An Expensive Pipe Smoke Better?

I conducted some testing and did some research. The answer is in this 3-part series...
https://pappyjoesblog.com/are-higher-priced-pipes-really-better-smokers-the-test-set-up/

Comments

• Options
    Although my testing is simply grabbing one of my pipes. filling it, then smoking it as opposed to actually setting up a test, I too have an "opinion". Although I do have only 32 pipes (I saw only because I have seen many photos of some of your collections) I feel I make up for a "pipe deficit" by my historical and faithful "piping participation".

Out of my pipes, I only have two which approached the hundred dollar mark. I have Savinellis, Kaywoodies, Albertsons, Jarls, Murrays, Multiple Grabows and Medicos (all briar), and my wonderful MM Corncobs. I also have 2 BC's and a couple of "basket pipes". Out of ALL of these I cannot find any one that equates to "stellar" as compared to the others. I would love to say the Savinellis as it would endorse spending the money at 3 to 4 times that of some of the remainder of the others. I can't, the fact is that the Savinellis DO NOT smoke 3 to 4 times some of my other pipes. I have some significantly less expensive pipes that smoke just as well.

Although I defer to the esteemed Senior Chief "Pappyjoe" for his experiment and testing, I appreciate his efforts and I have no arguments with his analysis or conclusions. 

I do not know EXACTLY WHY my pipes smoke so well other than the fact that I take care of them. I still have maybe 3 that are yet unsmoked. The others all have storied and faithful service of too many years for which I will not admit (oh OKAY, 50+). I take care of them and they take care of me. The fact of the matter is they are "tools", and I have always taken care of all my tools.

Now subconciously I know some might have an edge on others because I tend to grab the same pipes. That is not due to any analysis or testing or "pricepoint" but rather my pleasant experiences with certain "tools".

The fact of the matter is I tend to anayze my pipes on a "Macro" level as opposed to a "Micro" level. I have no doubt that "Pappys" findings could be proven with a "Micro" analysis of my favorites but I just choose to "smoke 'em because I have them".

Good job Senior Chief.
  • Options
    @pwkarch - for the record, I have 6 Missouri Meerschaum and they are all great smokers except I don't have one that's big enough to last more than 30-40 minutes. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe ~ Another fine blog entry. Very detailed and informative. Regarding your Missouri Meerschaums not big enough to last more than 30-40 minutes, have you tried their Freehand? It's a little on the pricey side for a cob but has a nice, large bowl. 
  • Options
    Depends what you mean by expensive
  • Options
    @Londy3 - That answer is relative to what each pipe smoker feels comfortable spending for a pipe. The title of the blog actually says "Higher-Priced" which is also relative to what the pipe smoker is comfortable spending. Myself, I consider a Higher-Priced pipe to be one that retails for over $300. 
  • Options
    I don't think I've paid more than $150.00 for a pipe so my opinion doesn't mean much - but I can say that whether I'm smoking a Peterson, Nording, or Dr. Grabow ... as long as I keep up on it and clean it regularly and sweeten up the bowl after each smoke they all seem to burn the tobacco exactly the same. And pretty much smoke the same. Now maybe if I had a $400.00 pipe I might really notice a difference. But I'm glad my taste in pipes matches my wallet and I don't have the disposable income to purchase one and experience what I might be missing.
  • Options
    Money is a conceptual thing that is why I was asking.  If your not talking custom built, for what it's worth, I don't think you need to spend over $120 for a great Brier. Get em on sale and maybe spend only $65ish. Kinda like wine, I found some good ones for around 10 bucks. Some say you need to spend 35+ for a bottle. It's all relative. 2 cents.