Home Ask an Expert

New Savinelli Billard

What is a good tobacco for breaking in my new Savinelli Oscar Tiger Rusticated Billard? I want to dedicate this pipe tp Sleepy Hollow, currently, don't have any.  Do some types of tobacco burn better in a Billard? or does it matter?
Thank you RWB 

Comments

• Hi @RunsWithBriar , congrats on the new pipe! For breaking in a new pipe, I find that classic codger blends are a great way to break in a new briar. I use Carter Hall and Price Albert, but I'm sure Half and Half or Lane Ready Rubbed would work well, too. Burley blends in general are safe choices, too.

As for what blends smoke best in a billiard, in my experience billiards for the most part can take on any blend with little issue. English blends tend to favor wider bowls, but I'd smoke an English blend in a billiard without worrying about it.
  • I agree.  Either Carter Hall or Price Albert are great tobaccos for breaking in a new pipe. 

I am partial to Prince Albert for sentimental reasons and have enjoyed many bowls of that fine OTC blend. Seems to be my go to OTC tobacco.
  • Another vote for CH & PA. 

I tend to use CH most often.
  • Looks like it's unanimous.