Home General
Options

Endeavour - TV shows and pipes

Any watchers of Endeavour the Masterpiece British crime drama?
Love to see Detective Inspector Thursday filling and smoking his pipe regularly. He's a Navy Flake man. Loved the scene where the local tobacconist was out and he had to settle for ribbon cut. :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    @Mangoandy I'm a big fan of British crime dramas, but I haven't heard of or seen Endeavour ... I'll have to be on the look-out for it. I love shows like "Ripper Street", "Copper", "Luther", and "Cracker" ... as well as "Sherlock". Netflix had a few as well - for the life of me I can't remember the name ... but it stars one of the former Doctor Who actors.  
  • Options
    Yes I I seen it on our local PBS station, not playing currently, but it will be back around at some point, all the Mastepiece Theater shows are great.@Mangoandy.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    @buflosab
    My wife and I started with Grantchester and now we've been catching Endeavour on Amazon Prime. We watched the Sherlocks and I enjoyed Luther and Whitechapel (not my wife's cup of tea...so to speak).
  • Options
    I found the Maigret series on Amazon Prime. The Inspector Maigret books were written by Georges Simeon. Maigret is smoking a pipe in close to half of the scenes showing him. Typical BBC detective series, not fast paced but very entertaining 
  • Options
    Really liked Granchester, also have been watching the crime series Jack Taylor set in Ireland. It sucks you right. In. Also Janet King, set in Australia. Crime-Lawyers type show. I'm a big fan of Foyles War.
  • Options
    @ ghostsofpompeii , really liked Luther, have not seen the others you mentioned.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I'll have to check it out. We thrive on "not fast paced but very entertaining" 
    @buflosab - I love Sidney's parsonage. Perfect place to listen to Sidney Bechet and enjoy a smoke and a scotch. (Dreaming...)
  • Options
    Heading to Oxford this summer and plan on lunting to some of my favorite locations.
  • Options
    @Mangoandy Watched all Endeavour episodes. I too enjoyed Inspector Thursday's periodic use of his pipe, and I specifically remember the episode you referred to concerning the brick and mortar tobacco shop he frequented...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    We are slowly savoring this one. Disappointed to find "Endeavour Morse" show up as a brutal murderer character on an episode of Whitechapel last week. :)
  • Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    The new Maigret movies starring Rowan Atkinson are also worth seeking out.  Atkinson looks like he might just smoke a pipe off-screen also.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpViacF-a0k

• Options
    British TV had an Inspector Maigret Series starring Michael Gambon. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 11
    Last night, while watching the 1st episode of a new season of "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS Masterpiece, there was a great side story.
    Samuel West, who plays Siegfried Farnon, said he could quit smoking his pipe for Lent if he wanted to, so his housekeeper hid his pipe tobacco.
    Throughout the entire episode, you would see him steathfully wandering through his home/office trying to find it.
    He finally finds it after 2 weeks, loads up his bowl and lights up. 
    With a satisfied look and grin, he was at last contented.
    Sidenote: After watching him pack and light up, I suspect he either really does smoke a pipe, or at least once did...
    If it is the same in your location, the PBS website will allow anyone to watch episodes for 1 week after being televised before tagging them for PBS members only.
    It is season 4, episode 1...