Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Does anyone know of a good one room air filtration system?

I'd like to smoke in my man cave but others complain about the smell. Is there a machine that would clean the smell out of the air?

Comments

• Options
    At the time of the original post this didn't seem to get any responses - so I thought I'd push it up front and maybe we'll get some helpful hints. I know I'd like something to keep me from having to try masking the scent with cheap aerosol air fresheners. Something that ended up bothering my wife more than the smell of the tobacco.  
  • Options
    If the room is able to be sealed, running an ozone generator for NO MORE THAN AN HOUR will remove a lot of the scents from the air. Ozone is bad for your health with long exposure so that's why the time limit.
  • Options
    The Rabbit Air air purifier works for me.  Go to www.rabbitair.com
  • Options
    The best way of keeping the air clean is purchasing a hepa fan.  They are typically used by companies who do clean up work after fires and come in different sizes.  They use a filter system that draws air in and cleanses it.

Save some money and build your own for about $30:  http://inhabitat.com/diy-make-your-own-hepa-air-filtration-system-for-just-30/
  • Options
    Or a high velocity exhaust fan.

I use a Panasonic High Velocity unit that moves 440 cfm.
  • Options
    I occasionally smoke my pipe in my home office and the pipe smell dissipates in a few minutes.  There is no lingering odor to speak of.  In fact, i have smoked it many times in the house and my wife never noticed when she came home.  Are you folks smoking other things besides your pipe to have need of air purification?  Or is it that I dont smoke mine every day?
  • Options
    @Londy3, It's probably that you don't smoke as often as I do.  Even if it's been awhile since I smoked, I can smell it when I enter the room.  So, when I open the door the smell goes into the hallway and then other family members have to smell it.  Now, while it's warm outside, I use a window exhaust fan when smoking.  But that may not work when it gets cold.  And, since I don't like to leave it running, it doesn't help with lingering oder.  I've ordered the Ivation Small Desktop 3-in1 True HEPA Air Purifier Sanitizer and Deodorizer with UV Light –  $69.99 from Amazon.  I think it's small enough to sit on a shelf beside my chair. I'll post a review after I've used it awhile. 

• Options
    The Ivation Air Purifier is working well.  It is small enough to sit on a shelf about three feet from my pipe.  My wife says my room still smells like pipe but it is not unpleasant.  I set it to run for two hours just before lighting my pipe.  I watch TV while the fan is on high without any noise problem. I smoked some Latakia blends today without lingering oders.