Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe bags and options

So, on several occasions I wish I had my pipe with me outside while doing stuff on a veabeauti day. The problem is, sometimes i walk my beagle, Vinny and I don't always have my hands free to carry my pipe bag. I don't want a fanny pack either, not my style. Sometimes it would be nice to just grab a bag that's ready to go, spur of the moment, and be hands free. The bag I have now is ok but there is no strap or any way to carry it. What do you guys do?

Comments

• Options
    @Londy3 I have the same problem and have recently been scouring the Internet for a solution. As of right now, I use a single pipe/pouch combo by Peterson. I've had it for years and it will fit in my shirt pocket, but can be bulky. It works though and I do like it. It holds a pipe, zippo lighter and tamper and enough tobacco for a few bowls. Perfect for "grab and go" situations. 

I really like the O'Dell canvas pipe bag that @ocpunk714 recently got with a Dagner pipe but they are sold out. Etsy has some that are similar, but I'm actually considering crafting my own for my own needs out of canvas. 

Let us us know if you find something and how it works! 

• Options
    If I know ahead of time that I will most likely not have my hands free, I load up my pipe, pre-light, tamp and relight before I take my "walk-about", . Then I stick my lighter and tamper in my pocket and off I go. I know... not very romantic, but affective... If I think there's a chance to light up as I'm out and about and having free hands is will not be an issue, I use a bag that has a lined tobacco pouch, zippered compartment for a lighter and tamper, and a separate holding area for a pipe(s). If I only store one small pipe in the bag, I can manage to stick it my jacket, or even my back pocket. I bought mine off eBay rather cheap and it has held up well... Savinelli...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2018

@Londy3 Yep, mine looks almost identical to @Kmhartle bag...

Another thought: A lot of times I find small camera bags at Goodwill, Thrift stores, etc. that usually have a loop and/or strap for easier carrying. The only problem is naturally there will be no "tobacco pouch". If you can work around that problem, there may be a solution there somewhere... for example, you might place some of your stash in a small plastic bag (1 or 2 bowlfuls)... Thinking out loud...

• Options
    I stick a pre-loaded MM Eaton or other small bowled pipe in my jacket pocket with lighter and pipe nail which covers dog walks. If I go for longer sojourns I carry a 2 pipe combo pouch with tobacco, lighter, tools. etc. in a roomy pocket. Any longer than that, a Military Surplus Messenger Bag that stays in the car or at the camp site.
  • Options

I started out out with the cigar box & small shaving kit to the right of it. Then I purchased an actual pipe case from Amazon and now I have the roll.

The bag from Amazon is what I carry with me since it is super lightweight and fits superbly in my Dickies pants.
  • Options
    @Kmhartle, thanks for the post. Yeah, I have a bag like your that holds 2 pipes, Zippo, tamper pipe cleaners and a small tobacco pouch.  The canvas ones look cool too but again how will you carry it to be hands free? 
  • Options
    @Londy3 And therein lies the problem. I'm having the same dilemma. I do have a smaller canvas roll design in mind that would hold one pipe, tobacco, tamper, zippo and pipe cleaners that would easily and comfortably fit it the pocket. Less bulky and lighter than leather. I may work on it next weekend and see if I can pull it off. I'll let you know how it turns out and post pictures. 

Of course, you could always make Vinny carry your supplies. :smiley:
    My girl carries her own treats, collapsable water bowl and waste bags. She could earn her keep and start carrying my smoking supplies too! 

• Options
    Here is another idea I just came across. It seems a lot of guys use a maxpedition organizer as a pipe bag. Various sizes available and has a handle. I may check one of these out before I get carried away making a canvas roll. Just a little over $20 on Amazon for the "Fattie". I'd probably add a leather tobacco mat to sit inside so the pipe bowls didn't rub against the tools when closed.  Photo from google images. 

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    "Sometimes it would be nice to just grab a bag that's ready to go, spur of the moment, and be hands free."

I carry and recommend Pipe Luggage by Neil at Smokin' Holsters. I am a former road warrior and my 8/16 UPB  was my  companion. I have a lot of pipe luggage to choose from but Neil's bags fit the larger group 6ish size pipes that I smoke better than the others. I'm off the road these days and most places are smoke free but the "action pac" is always packed and ready for the next pipe show weekend.

• Options
    @daveinlax, that looks really nice. It also looks pretty expensive. ??
  • Options
    @Kmhartle -- Pipe nail and Czech tool and pipe knife..... all three????
    No criticism, just askin' .......
  • Options
    I was given a really nice leather roll-up which holds three pipes for Christmas in 2016. I use it for weekend traveling. For longer trips I have a canvas shave kit that will hold 5 pipes and 3 or 4 tins of tobacco. For pipe club meetings I usually take an old camera bag which I pack with jars and pipes.
  • Options
    As someone who carried a leather tobacco pouch in his hip pocket for many years, I can testify that it's a lot less painful in the long run when the pouch DOES NOT HAVE any buttons or snaps on it. A tri-fold leather pouch with NO fasteners is the least painful to be sitting down on repeatedly over time.

As to pipe pouches, I have no idea. I did buy a bag at a yard sale once, in order to keep all my vehicular pipe smoking stuff in one place, and realized about a year later that it was probably a baby bag, with the insulated pockets I had been putting pipes into that were probably meant to hold baby bottles.

Ehhhhh! it works, anyway.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    @daveinlax, that looks really nice. It also looks pretty expensive. ??

Not compared to the pipes or my Castello pipe briefcase. The thing with Neil's bags is that they are sized for normal size and bent pipes. This Castello bag and most others are only good for small straight pipes.
  • Options
    @motie2 I noticed that too.  Along with 3 lighters and matches. I think this must be the guys "catch all" bag? Just a guess though. 
  • Options
     @Kmhartle --  Yeah, dude packs a Zippo, a BIC, and a refillable butane..... I don't take my Old Boy out of the house (afraid of losing it). So, I carry either a Linse disposable pipe lighter or a Vector style refillable.

All three are about the same size in reality.......
  • Options
    All look like nice things to have guys. However, the issue is carrying the stuff with you and be hands free. Maybe I need a small backpack...hmmm
  • Options
    Regarding lighters...I really like my Zippo

• Options
    You ever notice how most of the bags, pouches and rolls are made for straight pipes?
  • Options
    @Londy3  You may be on to something with the backpack. Come to think of it, when I take my girl for a walk around the lake (a 7 mike walking trail) I throw a Red Rock sling over my shoulder. It’s smaller than a backpack but plenty of room for necessities..... and pipe supplies. 

• Options
    This could be an idea. I will have to check Amazon and see.  Don't want it to big. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 ~ I'm curious if you ever found a solution to your hands free dilemma? I did end up buying a Maxpedition Fattie a few weeks ago to try as a pipe bag and will give my thoughts and take some pics later this week. (I know it's not hands free but I came across the idea on this thread/topic) 
  • Options
    @Londy3, you got me a’thinking about a cell phone pouch that a friend gave me. I’ve never used it, but it’s fairly roomy, padded, and clips on your belt. Just for concept purposes, I stuck a smallish briar and a full pouch in it and you can see how that fit. Less tobacco allows it to accommodate a larger pipe.

This may not be The Thing, but for shorter outings, not weekends of course, something like this may be an idea.