Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Nording Shorty Pipes

KmhartleKmhartle Master
edited March 2018 in Pipes & Tools
Do any of you have this pipe? I'm leaning towards ordering one tomorrow with my tobacco order.  It seems like it would be a great tester pipe or a short smoke pipe. For under $20 I doubt I can go wrong but would like feedback from anyone who has one. 

Comments

• Options
    Looks like a great option for someone who's been considering giving up the cigarettes and switching to a pipe. Nice gift for my son who has started the transition. And for the price you can't beat it. 
  • Options
    I did order one. I hope it will fit the bill for when I only have time for a short smoke..
  • Options
    It's nice looking, is it Meerschaum, Ceramic, or white colored Briar? 
  • Options
    @Woodsman The removable bowl is porcelain and the rest of the pipe is nylon, available in some wild colors. I chose black with a white bowl. The problem I've countered with short pipes in the past is bite as opposed to a longer stem.  The bowl has a "swirl" (pictured below) which I hope will add "length" to the short stem.   It also comes with keystone filter stones. I've never used them, but have heard good things about them. 

http://www.nordingpipes.com/index.php/2014-07-02-10-28-19/pipes/the-shorty

• Options
    Very interest in @Kmhartle I might have to look into that one myself...
  • Options
    I've been interested in these... looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.
  • Options
    Thanks @motie2 for the link. Really enjoyed being better informed...
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind having one to take on short trips. I'm looking into it...
  • Options

The Shorty Pipe is very similar design to the Nording Eriksen Keystone pipe - just a shorter version with far less smoking area in the bowl for tobacco.. Both are constructed of the same material, the chamber in the bottom of the pipe for Keystone filter stones,, and a removable bowl. And both are priced pretty similar. 

• Options
    @Ghostsofpompeii -- You chose a sharp looking one. So many of these screw together jobs look -- well, not like bubble pipes, exactly, but ............

"Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii How do you like the Eriksen Keystone? I'm thinking about getting one of those as well. I haven't used the shorty pipe yet, but I have used the keystones in a regular briar. I'll try out the shorty later this week and give my thoughts. 
  • Options
    @Kmhartle I actually like it a lot. The secret is not to add too many stones to the chamber. You only need about five. What you don't want is for the stones to make contact with the bottom of the bowl. When that happens it heats up the stone which in turn heats up the nylon, which can give the blend a plastic taste as the nylon heats up. I was always concerned that a nylon pipe might melt - but all the heat remains in the bowl and as long as it doesn't make direct contact with the stone everything is fine.   
  • Options
    @motie2 I know what you mean about the garish colors. Some are bright green or colors one would never associate with a tobacco pipe. They do look like bubble pipes. But the black and wood grain is acceptable in mixed company. And for the price it's almost as cheap as a good cob. 
  • Options
    KmhartleKmhartle Master
    edited March 2018
    Well, here are my initial thoughts on the Nording Shorty pipe.

I had the opportunity to smoke it twice this afternoon. It's definitely for having a short smoke. Nording claims it holds about the same amount of tobacco as a cigarette.  That's very accurate. The bowl is very small.  Smaller than a thimble. If you are looking for a no hassle 10 or 15 minute smoke, it's an ideal pipe. 

If if you have a fat pinkie finger, you'll need to pack this thing with a Czech tool.  The tamper of a Czech tool fits perfectly in the bowl.  My first bowl was of Sasieni Balkan. It's a blend I typically enjoy in a large bowl for a long smoke. I was disappointed when after nearly 15 minutes the bowl was done. Not necessarily because of the pipe, but perhaps because of my love of the blend.

My second bowl was of King of Swords, a strong Latakia blend. Knowing to expect a short smoke, I sipped this bowl.  It's a pipe that prefers sips as opposed to gulps.  

I must admit, this pipe is growing on me.  It smokes cool and dry, a feature I haven't found in many short pipes. The keystone filters and the swirl design base seem to work as claimed.  With the porcelain bowl and the draw hole on the bottom, all of the tobacco is smoked with no dottle. Just some fine grey ash is left. As little tobacco that goes into this thing, none is wasted. 

It is short, but the porcelain bowl is substantial and feels comfortable in the hand. I've included a picture of it next to a "mini meerschaum" that I've previously used for short smokes. The mini will get you 20-25 minutes of smoking pleasure but can get hot in the hand with its thin bowl wall. 

Overall, for less than $20 delivered, this pipe is a keeper. It's perfect for that short smoke or when you just want the taste, and aftertaste, of your favorite blend without firing up a full bowl. 

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    @Kmhartle -- For a short smoke/short pipe, and rather than a foldable "vest pocket pipe,"

I've favored the Pipa style:

• Options
    @motie2 I've actually been watching vest pipes on eBay.  Not so much to smoke, but to have as an interesting design in my collection. That Pipa style looks like it may be meerschaum lined? That might help with a cooler, drier smoke that I find rare in a short pipe. 
  • Options
    @Kmhartle -- They are available meerschaum lined and just plain briar......