Home The Lounge
Options

Pipe Smoking and Whiskey

Found some interesting images of whiskey glasses and thought I'd share them.

Comments

• Options
    Oddjob27Oddjob27 Master
    edited March 2018
    That is interesting... I wonder if the stem is for drinking or aerating... haha

The whisky connoisseur's sippy cup?
  • Options
    Here are others:

• Options
    Upon doing some research, it seems as though those glasses were actually designed for Port or Brandy. The theory behind it is that you will experience a different or a more true flavor by drinking from the bottom of the glass that has not been "exposed" to air. Interesting theory, but I wonder how old that theory is because it doesn't make much sense to me. Hahaha
  • Options
    @Charles -- I have that exact glass for my rum.

• Options
    Check out http://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/how-to-pair-pipe-tobacco-with-drinks/ and http://www.pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/tobacco-and-beverage-pairings/

Also......

<<Pipe tobacco’s got a lot of dance partners and the right blend can elevate your favorite drink or dish to entirely new levels. It’s not too difficult to find nice pairings, and figuring out your favorite pairings is half the fun. When it comes down to it, that’s really the beauty of pipe smoking – the experimentation and depth of possibilities to explore are nearly endless. To get you started, though, here’s a look at some things that match up well with a nice bowl.

Food is tricky. Some folks prefer to just enjoy a bowl of a sweeter tobacco as a sort of dessert, letting it stand on its own. Definitely lower fat than a slice of cake. If you do want to enjoy it with some food, pick something bold enough to stand up to tobacco –if you’re having a garden salad, it’s probably not a pipe-smoking affair. But steaks? Pork chops? Heck, even fondue under the right circumstances? Yep, all of those can be enhanced with your briar in hand.

More common than food pairing is alcohol pairing. We know not everyone drinks, and if you’re a teetotaler we respect that. However, we just can’t deny the awesome marriage of the right tobacco and the perfect libation. First off, need to take into consideration what you’re smoking. If it’s a blend with a deep body and full nose, you’re gonna want something that can stand up to it. Go for a merlot, cowboy. Get a little spicy.

Speaking of spicy, let’s talk contrast. You don’t want to be too matchy-matchy. If your tobacco is sweet with a fruity nose, for instance, you’d be well served with something that’s dry and smooth. Whiskey fits that bill pretty nicely. On ice, if you like. Match that with some apple slices and a crumbly cheese, and you’ve got a real nice trio going. If you don’t want to bring alcohol to the party, a nice non-alcoholic dry cider or ginger ale does a fancy little two-step all its own.
    For some educated pairing, it helps to know what’s in your blends, and then you can make pairing decisions.  Let’s check out some bodies:

Mellow Body Leaf
    • Golden Virginia
    • Bright Virginia
    • Black Cavendish 

Medium Body Leaf
    • Medium Burleys
    • Red/Brown Virginia
    • Most all Oriental and Turkish

Full Body Leaf
    • Dark Burleys
    • Latakia
    • Perique
    • Kentucky Dark Fired
    • Most strains of cigar leaf

These will come in different blends, so check the back of the tin or ask your local tobacco shop. As for pairings, here’s a few thoughts:

Mellow Body:
    • Lager/Pilsner
    • Light rums
    • Dry white wines
    • Gin/Vodka
    • Pears or apples

Medium Body:
    • Strong tea (Sweeten as you feel necessary)
    • Amber/red beer
    • Ale
    • Heavier white wine
    • Golden Rums
    • Lighter Scotch/Whiskey
    • Lighter liqueurs and cordials
    • Most mixed drinks (Gin and Tonic, Screwdrivers, Rum and Coke)
    • Brie or Camembert

Full Body:
    • Dark coffee
    • Dark Rums
    • Stouts/Porters
    • Peaty Scotch
    • Bourbon
    • Deep red wine
    • Port/Sherry
    • Sweet dried fruit
    • Cured meat
    • Olives

The idea here is sip, puff, take a minute to reflect. Do the flavors complement each other well? How does the nose of the tobacco complement the drink or little bite of food? Are you into it? If so, great. If not, change it up, and try something else out. Give it a few samples, and you’ll eventually come upon a magical combo that dances all across your palate. >>
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 - I'm with you. Consider this, alcohol is usually lighter than water so if you put water in the drink or ice, the heavier liquid with settle to the bottom. 
  • Options
    I'm trying to delete this post and the system won't let me. So if it posts please ignore it.
    I mean, my lengthy message was posted (above), but a copy remained in the draft area, and I can't make it go away.
    I typed this over it.
  • Options
    The weekend is almost here. 

Take Dram of Scotch, spark up a good smoke, and relax.

• Options
    I remember once reading (aeons ago, don't remember where or what) that this one guy in Europe had gotten the idea that he had invented an elixir of youth, as the liquid he created would, when given to old folks, make them merry and cavorting around energetically. Turns out, what he had actually "invented" was the distillation of brandy.

Thus said that particular book (or article, or I-dunno-what-it-was).
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    @Charles -- I had an "accident" with Scotch one new Year's Eve during college.... lost an entire day and threw up on every horizontal surface in my parent's living room. My father swore that he beat me pretty good, but I don't remember any of it. Can't stand the smell of scotch to this day (I'm 71), but I enjoy two fingers of rum.

My advice: Stick with a dram.  ;)
  • Options
    @motie2 I can relate to your Scotch incident - even to the approximate day of the year. Mine was a run in with a fifth of Wild Turkey in McMurdo, Antarctica. I can relate the tale now because the statute of limitation has surely expired and I don't remember any names. 

When at McMurdo Base, Antarctica, each person of legal age (everyone aboard ship in 1973) was allowed to buy one bottle of hard liquor of their choice for $3.00 and one bottle of wine of your choice for $2.00. We were allowed to sit in the clubs and drink or on the ice next to the gangway and drink. Any enlisted man could write his name on the bottles and give them to the officer of the deck when returning to the ship. The bottles would be locked away in storage and you would be given them back when we returned to our homeport of Seattle, WA. 

Officers on the other hand were trustworthy (seriously?) and could keep their booze because they were officers and gentlemen and would not violate the no drinking alcohol while aboard ship. (Yeah. Right.) It just so happened that I was assigned to a tight knit group of engineers and had been on the icebreaker for almost two years already. My chief and other petty officers I worked for liked me. The ships Engineering Officer knew me and liked me. Even some of the junior officers liked me. When in port we would often coincidentally be found in the same bars drinking even. 

Anyway, as we approached the gangway, two of the officers volunteered to carry the booze for us enlisted pukes aboard. After we saluted the OD, the Engineering Officer ordered us down to his office because he wanted to go over the upcoming maintenance plan with us. (The department I was in at the time was in charge of maintaining ships systems such as fresh water, sewage pumps, landing craft, cranes, etc.) Once in his office he passed out the bottles - mine was Wild Turkey - and turned on some music. We all just sat there and talked and smoked cigars. At some point I got up to go to the head and didn't return. 

The roving security watch stander told me he found me passed out on a couch in the rec area, put a pillow under my head and covered me with a blanket. I woke with a terrible hangover. The Commander said he put my bottles in the liquor locker and I could have what was left when we got back to Seattle. I had maybe a quarter of a bottle left. Couldn't drink Wild Turkey for three or four years after that.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- That's a really great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. At least you were a neater drunk than I was. (I dunno.... -10 pts for ending a sentence with a verb????)
  • Options
    When based in Germany most of us had some sort of drink in our footlockers which we had to get rid of before an IG inspection and bring right back when over. Whenever any of us got a "Dear John Letter" we would post them on the bulletin board and throw a party at the Club that night. When I got mine it was Happy Hour, 5 cents a drink so I slapped one of the 2 $5 bills on the bar and said "Keep 'em coming till it's gone, after the party I went back to my room and got out a bottle of brandy. I woke up the next day in a ditch along a road with no idea where I was. A GI Ambulance came along and in it was the Medic from the room next to mine, he rolled down the window and asked in his Tennesee Drawl "Halvoesen. is the yew? Is seems I was about 40 Kliks from the base, I had no memory how I got there or what I got into. My lone $5 bill had $84 for company so I assume i got into a card game. I still like brandy but, I can't get that loaded anymore unless some has brought along a Fork Lift to carry me out.
  • Options
    I use to drink Jack Daniels sour mask whiskey in my teens as well as in the USMC.  One time in my mid 20s, after we just completed a special ops mission, I had some time off and returned home for a short visit. 

I remember getting together with some of my Marine bothers, some were vets, some were still active duty.  We went bar hopping in Philadelphia were we were doing shots at every bar we hit.  Being the big Jack Daniels fan that I was, my shots we all Jack.  At some point, the night became a blur and I was told that I left my stomach all over the city.  Apparently,  I as still drinking but as I sad, the night was a blur and I don't have much recollection of what happened.   

When I woke up the next afternoon, I felt like someone parked a tank on my head and left it running.  It took nearly a week to recover from that ordeal.  I remember praying to God that if I managed to live, I would never drink to that point EVER AGAIN.   From then on, I could no longer stomach Jack Daniels and to this day, I get queasy just smelling it.    I haven't to this day, ever got drunk to that point as I know when enough is enough and nothing will change that. That was the worst I have ever felt in my life.