Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish

I just realized that with the numerous reviews I have done and posted, I never did a review of one of my absolute favorites, Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish, and I am not sure why unless my ulterior motive was to have more for myself?

Well, this blend is, and has been for awhile one of my favorites. I realize I favor Vanilla blends. I love Sutliff Vanilla Custard, Spicy Vanilla, Lane 1Q and BCA, and Captain Black on occasions. I think my all time favorite is actually a tie between the Vanilla Custard and the VBC.......such a delemna. This tobacco is I think pure "Black Cavendish" (I suppose the name gives it away). The cut allows an effortless filling of the pipe as the tobacco compacts well. The dry draw is no question a vanilla note. There is little to no tobacco notes that I can pick up.

Today I beat the snow outside (as opposed to the snow INSIDE?) to feed the birds and wildlife and took a bowl of the VBC out in my Savinelli Dolomite Prince. It was cold, sleeting, and a bit windy, but I assumed it might be my only opportunity today as they are predicting anything from flurries to the end of the world, and the BOSS does not allow smoking in the house.

The tobacco has been jarred for quite awhile, probably nearly a year, and the jar was my smoking tobacco as opposed to my "cellared" tobacco (which IS actually down in the cellar). The tobacco was not overly moist at all seeing as the jar had been opened numerous times to take some out to enjoy. I filled the pipe (a large bowl pipe: a Savinelli Dolomite "Prince") in my usual manner which follows no real rules 'of three" or whatever, tamped the tobacco, and headed out side. In the garage I fired it up and enjoyed the taste and the aroma as I always do.

This tobacco is a delight, a very mild nic hit (which I like), a pleasant and tasty smoke thick enough to almost chew. Both the taste and the "garage note" are of a very sweet vanilla. Those who do not like sweet tobacco will NOT favor this tobacco (and certainly will likewise not like the Sutliff Vanilla Custard). A quick comparison. the Lane 1Q, at least to me "suggests" a vanilla base, whereas this VBC (and the Sutliff Vanilla Custard) screams vanilla on each and every sip. I find that these tobaccos do not really change as the bowl burns down. These tobaccos are somewhat "single dimensional" with little change in taste or intensity. Again, some may find this boring, but I see it as another potential reason to smoke it when I want that. I know from experience which of my tobaccos I can depend on changing their profile for me in any given smoke. So, I like this tobacco when I want a solid vanilla experience from the top of the bowl to the bottom and I am not looking for a complicated smoke. Just another reason to have so many blends from which to choose.

I did not get to finish the bowl as I finished filling all the feeders before the bowl was finished. Based on the size of the bowl on this heater, I think I may have only smoked one half to maybe two thirds of the bowl. Truth be told, as I have been on the computer here his afternoon I have been "cold puffing" on this partly filled pipe and still enjoying it. We all know we have done that before.

So judged even with all of the caveats noted above including a windy and cold wet snow/ sleet, this tobacco rates up there with me. With the comments I have made considered, I would still highly recommend this blend to anyone who likes a vanilla flavored tobacco.

Comments

• Options
    @pwkarch -- Another discerning review.... well done. And thank you for giving me another tobacco to add to my "Someday, I'll Get to It" list when I get tired of Barbados Plantation, which has a fair share of Sutliff vanilla topping. Is that the right word? Maybe casing? Sweet Bajan Rum, with a subtle taste of vanilla. 
  • Options
    @motie2

I would bet your BP would mix wonderfully with either Vanilla Black Cavendish or Vanilla Custard. That combo might even give your teeth cavities. I need to add that combo to my blends to try.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    @pwkarch -- I tried mixing BP with VC for a while. A nice mixture, but I found myself jonesing for straight BP.
  • Options
    @pwkarch, Thank as well, I've tried many blends you have recommended or reviewed and found you've led me down the right path.
  • Options
    Great review! I'm definitely going to have to pick some up.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- So if pressed, (I'm pressing), which would you say is the more satisfying vanilla blend: Sutliff Vanilla Custard or Lane VBC?
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Nevermind. I just ordered a couple of ounces of VBC on the strength of your review. I ordered from Smokingpipes.com because VBC is "backordered" at P&C, my usual source.
  • Options
    @motie2

I am happy and perhaps somewhat proud to say that after all these years of smoking, I think I have a fairly well developed palate. Believe me when I tell you I do not have a political bone in my body so I do not know how to speak "politically" in answering.  I believe although they are both certainly "vanilla" smokes, they have their distinct differences as well. The Lane VBC is a more or less straight vanilla, no muss, no fuss, and no doubt about it. I get the same impression from it as I would sniffing a bottle of pure vanilla extract. The Sutliff Vanilla Custard has an overwhelming vanilla flavor, but I swear I can pickup notes of a butter and slightly salty taste that really tastes and smokes well.

So although they can be similarly described, they do have a very slight varying profile, at least to me. I think where the Lane VBC is fairly one dimensional, the Sutliff VC presents some variation when I smoke a full bowl. I cannot say one is significantly better than the other, they just deliver a different smoking experience, albeit slightly similar.

But to answer your question, I think the Sutliff Vanilla Custard is more satisfying to me. I will however continue to buy and to smoke both of them. Truth be told I have "pounds" of each sitting in my cellar.

And in closing: "If I am elected to (fill in the blank) I will see to it that all of my constituents have open access to both blends" (sorry I could not help myself).
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Thank you, sir. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
  • Options
    Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish (VBC)

It took me a while to pick Barbados Plantation as my favorite Sutliff aromatic, distinguishing it from Molto Dolce, Sunset Rum, Creme Brulee, Maple Street, Chocolate Mousse, and of course Vanilla Custard. I dabbled in other aros, from a few other blenders, but I found myself asking, "Why am I smoking this stuff when I could be enjoying another bowl of BP?" Barbados Plantation not only became my go to smoke, it was my exclusive smoke.

Recently, my friend @pwkarch gave a glowing review of Lane VBC, and suggested I give it a try. After my initial reluctance, because I had tried some other rum or vanilla blends and found them wanting, I threw caution to the wind and ordered two ounces of VBC (big spender!!!!) from Smokingpipes.com because P&C, my usual source, had it backordered. Took about five days with a weekend thrown in for it to arrive. It came the same day as my recently won bent Italian estate Carey. When I opened the package from Smokingpipes, I found a neatly filled ziploc containing the VBC. What the hell is this almost ebony chopped stuff; no ribbons at all? It smelled great, but in looks.... different. Not bad different, but different from anything I have ever smoked. (What did I expect from something called BLACK cavendish?) Anyway, rather than try it in my newest Carey, which I had to ream and thoroughly clean, I decided to try the VBC in my first ever Carey, from back in the late 1960's -- my beloved Carey Apple.

I knew @pwkarch was correct about VBC from the charring light. After the real light, I was treated to billowing clouds of rich, almost "chewy" smoke. Great taste, cool smoking, stayed lit to the bottom of the bowl, leaving a dry, white ash, no dottle, and as an extra treat, no feel of "coating" in my mouth when the bowl was done. It's not rum flavored -- it's no BP -- but I've just ordered more and I am now a two blend guy. The only thing I don't know about it is the room note (because SWMBO won't let me smoke in the house, but in that my experience shows that a great tasting aro is at least going to have a pleasant room note, I pretty sure VBC is a winner in that department, too.

And again, grateful thanks to @pwkarch: Good Sir, the Lane VBC knocks it out of the park and now has my highest recommendation, too.
  • Options
    @Motie2 How comparable is it to Sutliff Vanilla Cream? Of all the Vanilla aromatics I'm smoked I found Vanilla Cream to be the best. What makes the two blends different?
  • Options
    @motie2

Just proves I am not as stupid as I look........I am happy for you.

• Options
    My dear friend, @ghostsofpompeii, be gentle with me: I'm old. :D Are we talkin' Mac Baren Vanilla CREAM, or Sutliff Vanilla CUSTARD? You may be old and confused..... I have confused the two myself, in a variety of ways and circumstances.

I've found Mac Baren Vanilla CREAM to be tobacco forward, [Ghost, of all folks, you know what I mean by that] and to me, it was just a bit bitey. It also smoke wet and left dottle. 

Sutliff Vanilla CUSTARD, which I referred to in my gush/hype of VBC, is an excellent smoking aromatic -- Look who I'm telling..... -- and I recommend it highly. I think everyone on TPL who has tried it recommends it. That said, it's not as good as Barbados Plantation. 

So, in my long winded way, to answer your question:
    1) VBC is certainly more desirable than the Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream, in my humble opinion, me being no tobacco connoisseur. (My father, of blessed memory, often referred to teenaged me as "a commonsewer.)

2) VBC is more desirable than Sutliff's Vanilla Custard. again in IMHO, but it ain't gonna replace Barbados Plantation in my esteem. But I will keep it around, as a lighter smoke than BP; as, perhaps, a palate cleanser when I'm having several bowls during a day. ? I've already ordered more.

I've yet to try mixing BP and VBC, but because of my usual behaviors, that'll happen.....

Now, @pwkarch differs with me on the Vanilla Custard vs. VBC question. On March 22 (above) he opined: <<I believe although they are both certainly "vanilla" smokes, they have their distinct differences as well. The Lane VBC is a more or less straight vanilla, no muss, no fuss, and no doubt about it. I get the same impression from it as I would sniffing a bottle of pure vanilla extract. The Sutliff Vanilla Custard has an overwhelming vanilla flavor, but I swear I can pickup notes of a butter and slightly salty taste that really tastes and smokes well............ So although they can be similarly described, they do have a very slight varying profile, at least to me. I think where the Lane VBC is fairly one dimensional, the Sutliff VC presents some variation when I smoke a full bowl. I cannot say one is significantly better than the other, they just deliver a different smoking experience, albeit slightly similar.......... But to answer your question, I think the Sutliff Vanilla Custard is more satisfying to me. I will however continue to buy and to smoke both of them. Truth be told I have "pounds" of each sitting in my cellar.>>

• Options
    @pwkarch, Sir  

I look stupid.

You look have a Buddha-like countenance.

• Options
    are you calling me fat and bald?
  • Options
    No, Sir! That would be like calling me short and fat. My men's suit size is Portly Dwarf.

I know we're both kidding. I have the greatest respect for all most of you guys!!!!
  • Options
    And I for you.....just kidding above
  • Options
    @pwkarch As you probably already know, I've always been a big fan of black Cavendish blends, not only as a stand-alone, but as a blending agent with other blends. Saying all that, I must confess I haven't experienced Lanes blend. I know, I know, hard to believe, but now I will be giving it a try. Thank you for unknowingly making me aware of my shortcoming... I always enjoy your posts...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback and reviews on the VBC @motie2 and @pwkarch.  I'll be adding a few ounces to my next order! 
  • Options
    @motie2 I meant to type Sutliff Vanilla Custard. I think the thing that screwed me up is I have a pouch from Sutliff that reads Vanilla Custard Cream - and I'm sure it's simply Vanilla Custard. But for some reason the 1.5 oz pouch reads Vanilla Custard Cream.
  • Options
    In re: VBC -- It's still weird, opening the tobacco jar and seeing uniformly black tobacco, all of a fairly uniform size.

But, mmmmm, what a smoke......
  • Options
    Hey fellers, thanks for such good info - I’ve amended this week’s shopping to include both the VBC and the BP. Y’all are excellent sales reps, btw.

Couple of quick questions (one related to the thread and the other peripherally so).....I do enjoy BCA muchly. Any quick comparison between that and the VBC you’d note?

Peripherally, I ordered Sutliff Vanilla Custard some time back from P&C and have enjoyed what they sent, but I’m pretty certain that what I received cannot be what the label and you fine folks describe. What I have in the jar has no discernible vanilla taste or aroma at all and is instead heavy on a sweet cocoa. More like a good dark brownie than a vanilla custard. I figured I was nuts, unsophisticated in nose and palate....or more likely both.

Question is, then, did I receive the wrong tobacco or do I need an MRI? And what’s y’alls experience in ever receiving wrong/mislabeled bulk tobacco?
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61

Personally I have never (to my knowledge or discovery) had a wrong tobacco sent to me from any vendor. However, I and several others will attest to the unmistakable vanilla flavor of the Sutliff Vanilla Custard. Your description sounds more like their Chocolate Mousse blend, or one of their other chocolate tobaccos.

I suppose it is entirely possible (probable?) that you did not get the correct product with all the products they handle in a day. I would contact them and register a complaint. There should be no confusion as to a vanilla or chocolate flavor. I predict they will make it right.
  • Options
    Thank you, @pwkarch. I do know we all perceive tastes differently - that was my first order of the Vanilla Custard and wasn’t sure if that’s what it was meant to be. But there’s no vanilla to what I have, no doubt about it. I’ll follow up with P&C. 
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61

If you think you received the wrong blend, contact P&C about it. They've been very good about correcting orders.
  • Options
    Done and done, @motie2. They’re very good, as you said, and I do appreciate that in a company.
  • Options
    On your recommendation, @pwkarch and @motie2, I received my first VBC this past weekend and am going through it at an alarming rate. No surprises in appearance as I knew what to expect there from BCA. I do believe it takes what I’ve enjoyed about BCA up a few notches. Your review, @pwkarch, was on the money.

Don’t know that I’ll be buying BCA in the future as long as the VBC is available.
  • Options
    @motie2 I'm so glad you've enjoyed VBC! I knew one day you'd convert to smoking some Lane products :)