Home Ask an Expert
Options

Easy to smoke?

Think I have some ideas here, but I want to ask the experts. What makes a particular blend easy to smoke? Or maybe just easy to keep lit? Does it have to do with moisture, casing, topping, or something else? 

Comments

• Options
    That's a really good question. My personal opinion is it's a combination of all of the above. I also think higher quality tobaccos tend to smoke easier and are easier to keep lit. A lot of lower grade blends use humectants, which I feel adds to moisture when smoking and difficulty keeping lit. Just my humble opinion, I'm far from being an expert. 
  • Options
     That’s pretty interesting. Actually, I’ve never even heard that. How would you know or find out if a particular tobacco has some of this? 
  • Options
    BentbrierBentbrier Professor
    How you fill and pack the bowl has allot to do with it.  Cut pairs with this as not all cuts are loaded the same.
  • Options
    Most aromatics are notoriously moist ... especially the heavily cased sweet aromatics I smoke, and I found a little frying time before smoking can help.
  • Options
    If the tobacco is too moist you are going to have problems keeping it lit. The definitive answer as to what is too moist varies from pipe smoker to pipe smoker and from other environmental factors. I "measure" moisture by taking a good size pinch of the tobacco and putting it on a piece of paper. If it stays clumped together it may be too moist. If it leaves pieces stuck to your thumb and forefinger, it may be too moist. In those cases I will leave the tobacco sitting on the paper for 10 or 15 minutes and it should dry out some. You can also leave the lid off the tin and let some moisture evaporate that way.

The other thing to consider is the relative humidity where you are located. If it's a humid day the tobacco is not going to dry out that fast. (Overly dry tobacco will absorb a little humidity if left out on a very humid (say, 80% humidity) day. 

By the way, @Kmhartle is on the right track about humectants. Except that are used in some of the better blends also. Another thing that affects the moisture level is the toppings and flavoring which may be added.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- one member here, in another discussion folder, recommended a little oven time at very low temperature....
  • Options
    @motie2 Once again my fat little sausage fingers hit the wrong key. Should have read 'drying time' rather than 'frying time'. I've yet to try adding tobacco to my omelets or on a fried pork shop. .
  • Options
    I really have never had a problem of keeping my pipe lit.The only blend I have noticed is some what moist is Creme Brûlée. After initial light, it's not a problem.
  • Options
    Maybe I’m weird (probably), but for some reason the cheap OTC blends on the whole stay lit better for me than higher end tobacco. I’ve always assumed it had to do with some kind of additives in the tobacco. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii and here I thought you had developed a radical new drying technique.
    @jfreedy Carter hall has always burned down with few relights for me, same with Ready Rubbed.
  • Options
    jshaw1957jshaw1957 Newcomer
    edited March 2018
    As a relatively new pipe smoker (2 years or so), I was frustrated by having to constantly relight my pipe. Over time, I discovered I was packing my pipe too tightly and I wasn't giving the tobacco a proper light. I experimented with a number of packing techniques and have settled on the "Stuff and Puff Method". 

"The stuff and puff method seems to be used by the older more      experienced pipers. After years of experience, they have acquired   the ability to stick their pipe into a pouch or jar of tobacco and fill it   by scooping the tobacco into the bowl with their finger and knowing  when they have the right amount of pressure applied for a proper draw. This is done all in one step. When they pull the pipe out, they light it." (PipesMagazine.com: Tobacco Pipe Packing Methods - Part  1; July 20, 2009, Bob Tate.).

I love this method, mostly because it's quick and been effective for me. After reading through this discussion, I think I'll try inserting a pipe cleaner through the stem to the draugft hole in order to create an small air pocket in the foot of the bowl. This should help me get a better draw and solve any problems with moist tobacco. I'll try it for a bit and give you an update. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    @jshaw1957 -- You might look into the attached .pdf from the Free Pipe Smoking Library titled Load, Pack, Fill, which contains the six most common methods of filling a pipe bowl so as to maximize the smoking experience. Betcha didn't know there were six recognized ways. 
  • Options
    Thanks Motie2. I'll check it out.