Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Ropp Cherrywood

Does anyone have a Ropp Cherrywood pipe?  I have collected several and so far love the way they smoke. They do seem to smoke sweeter than a cob.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Options
    Don't have a Ropp but I do have a piece of cherrywood that's been air drying in the garage for 18 months. I'm planning on carving it into a pipe after it hits 2 years.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @pappyjoe  I have thought about doing that myself.  However, between work and school right now I seem to have more plans on doing things than I can actually get done.  One day...
  • Options
    I decided to give pipe carving a try about 3 years ago and bought some pre-drilled briar blocks from Mark Tinsky, one of the premier American pipe carvers. I also bought some blocks of soft wood to try out first and figure out how to do it before I tackled the briar. While I was working on the cheap wood I bought some cherrywood and white oak. I learned the cherrywood wasn't cured or dried enough and that white oak was too hard for my taste.

I did turn the blocks from Mark Tinsky into 4 good smoking briar pipes which just goes to prove that if the drilling is done properly then you will probably have a good smoking pipe. I have 2 of the pipes and gave each of my sons the other ones. They all still get smoked.

They were all carved "freehand" using a belt sander, files and a rotary tool. 
  • Options
    @pappyjoe  I'll have to keep that in mind and give a try some time.  I've wanted tot ry and make my own for a while and have done a bunch of research but just haven't bitten that bullet yet.  I was thinking about getting some wood and try my hand at carving before tackling the briar as well.
  • Options
    To me the hard part is making the stems look a beautiful as some carvers do. But I don't have a lathe either.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe Yeah stems is the thing that has me the most nervous/curious as they seem the most difficult but the ideas I have in my mind...  I just wish more pipe makers, not the $300 pipes and up, would use more colored cumberland stems as I love the look
  • Options
    Look for those by Mastro Beraldi and some of the other Italian carvers. They have a lot that are under $200 and have colored stems.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe  I will definitely look into that, thanks
  • Options
    Here's the pipe I made before I had any clue what I was doing. It's not great and neither is this picture, but without using the webcam all my files are too big to upload.
  • Options
    Ropp cherrywood? Wow, does that bring back memories. Last time I had one was the early 70's in graduate school.