Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Frog Morton Cellar Replacement Suggestions?

OK, first things first.  There is nothing that can replace Frog Morton Cellar. I understand that. I've made the decision to smoke what few tins I have left in my cellar of FM.  As much as I like the thought of cellaring it for a decade or more, I have no guarantee that I'll be around to enjoy it. Live for the moment! Until my supply runs out, it will give me time to try a few blends to see what comes closest to the euphoria of FMC. 

Any suggestions? 

Comments

• Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    Country Squire Radio had this as the subject of their podcast this week. When they got to FM Cellar, I think he mentioned Esoterica Pembroke as one possibility. 

G.L. Pease uses a lot of liquor toppings, I'll bet there is something he's got that would work.
  • Options
    Thanks @Woobie. I'll check out the CS podcast. I usually don't catch the Monday episode until the following weekend so that's good info! 
  • Options
    FrogMorton Cellar is a Virginia/Latakia Blend flavored with Whiskey (I have just picked up a 100 gram tin by the way)
    The problem is going to be finding a blend that is Virginia/Latakia and flavored with Whiskey. That is not a common combination.

By the why, McClelland used it's own blend of whiskey which would lead me to believe it was a bourbon or sour mash. Other companies use whisky which is generally a Scotch blend. 

About the only one I can think of which I've tried is Samuel Gawith Bothy Flake. It is a Virginia/Latakia blend with Whisky flavoring. I've smoked it several times in the past year and its a good smoke. 

You may want to try Gawith, Hoggarty & Co. Kendal Sliced Brown Malt Whisky if you can find it. It's been awhile since I've actually seen a tin.

Peterson's Irish Whisky is good but he doesn't have the Latakia that Cellar contains. It might be worth experimenting with if you can get some blending latakia.

• Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    G.L. Pease Sextant uses rum:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5183/g-l-pease-sextant

I'll to find some more. But his descriptions often do not reveal the topping used. Haddo's Delight doesn't say anything about plum brandy for instance, but it sure smells like it.

• Options
    the country squire has a couple of blends that are similar, northwest treck being one of them (its lightly topped, has unflavored black cavendish just like FMC, and its a hybrid latakia blend) its not the same, but its a similar experience,  FMC is my alltime favorite blend so im with you in trying to find a replacement, i have about 375 grams left of it and im going to be picky about when i smoke it

• Options
    The Country Squire's Shepherd's Pie is the closest FMC replacement I've found to date. Maybe not quite as smooth as FMC, but the taste is pretty darn close.
  • Options
    Kramer's pipe tobacco has been noted as having similarities to Frog Morton. 
  • Options
    I’ve really been enjoying John Cotton’s Sweet English. It’s not so much a match in taste as it is a match in experience, if that makes sense. The cavendish and mellow qualities of this light English blend leave you feeling the same way that Cellar does. I know, extremely subjective, but this is definitely worth trying out if you’re a Cellar fan. 
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to acquire a partial tin of FMC, a gift from a friend.
    I took out the barrel stave cube and soaked it in 94 proof Jonah's Curse Black Spiced Rum for a week.
    I buried the cube in two ounces of EA Carey Revolution Tabak. http://www.eacarey.com/revolution-tabac-pipe-tobacco.html in a sealed jar.
    I'll let y'all know....... :D