Home The Pack
Options

New Orleans Pipe Club update

The New Orleans Pipe Club was unofficially organized in 2014 by Toby Ducote who was the founding force behind the New Orleans Pipe Show of October 2015. Those of us participating in the monthly get-togethers also worked at the Pipe Show. We continued getting together every month - weather permitting - since then.

Last summer at one of our monthly gatherings, we decided to formalize the club, elect club officials and write a charter and by-laws. In December 2017, the New Orleans Pipe Club, LLC was formed.

As of this morning, we have 24 Charter members and two pending membership applications. We are accepting applications for Charter members through the April 12th meeting. After that all applications will be for regular membership. 

Comments

• Options
    Our next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 12, 2018. Starts at 6:00 pm. 
    Location is 3540 18th Street, Metairie, LA.

We've added 6 new Charter members since our last meeting.
  • Options
    That's awesome, Pappy.  Just curious, what was the thinking behind formalizing the club?  I've been part of the Hartford club for about a year and a half.  Like yours, it's an informal group.  Everyone and anyone who's interested in pipe smoking is welcome.  I'm not a charter member, and the guys who are may have already thought about formalizing, so I'm just wondering how that would work.
  • Options
    Awesome! Law n Smoke on Youtube is trying to start up a club here in Orange County. Hopefully we can get it to the level that of your club! Cheers!
  • Options
    @jim102864 In 2015 we held the New Orleans Pipe Show. Basically the founding member footed the bills, did all the legwork and organizing. At the time there were just 7 or 8 guys who would show up. The show just barely broke even. 

Last summer we were talking and the idea came up to become a actual club with officers and a charter. We thought about it for a month and then took a vote, set the dues and elected officers. I got elected President because the guy who started it all was going to be on the road a lot. We sell Polo shirts with our logo and decals. The goal is to raise money so we can sponsor our own pipe night event and down the road, another pipe show. 
  • Options
    By the way, we have a Facebook page. 

We have 30 paid members as of this morning. 
  • Options
    The next New Orleans Pipe Club meeting is Thursday, April 12 from 6 - 9 pm at Mayan Imports, 3450 18th St., in Metairie.

We welcome all pipe smoking visitors.
  • Options
    Congrats @PappyJoe and the other members of New Orleans Pipe Club. When you're ready to put on that New Orleans Pipe Show again, TPL will be there!
  • Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd Thanks. We are actually trying to figure out the funding so we can do another pipe show.
  • Options
    Yo! Ho! Me Harties! The New Orleans Pipe Club meeting is tonight at Mayan Imports in Metairie. If you are in town come sit and have a bowl or three or four and enjoy the camaraderie. Meeting is from 6:00 until 9:00 pm.
  • Options
    Alas, @PappyJoe, when I was in New Orleans, I didn’t smoke a pipe....and now that I do smoke a pipe, I’m too far to join you. Wish I could!
  • Options
    We had a good meeting again last night with 3 new members in attendance. We gave out 18 door prize tickets with the top prize, a leather tobacco pouch from Monjure International going to Lana Mosely.

We had a surprise guest at the meeting last night also. Michael Matherne, one of the St. James Perique growers brought some hand cut 100% Perique from a 2015 barrel. The perique still had a slight ammonia scent to it but it was interesting to smoke the real stuff and not the Green River burley