Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Memorable Estate Pipe Find Story

What is everyone’s memorable estate pipe find story?

Mine has to be a trip to an antique mall in Lawrence, KS. I I went there with a friend of mine and stumbled upon a booth that had a lot of unique looking pipes. They were hand carved from George’s that was in town in the 70’s. I had bought a few of them and left my number with the shop in hopes the booth owner would contact me for more pipes.

The booth owner contacted me and was happy to show me more pipesthat he was trying to sell. He had a racks of pipes that he had been trying to sell and said pick out the ones you wanted. I saw a few Preben Holmes, Ben Wades, and a few Dunhills. I asked him what he wanted for them, and said $80. This is one of the few times I actually offered more money and told him these are worth far more than that.

He appreciated my honesty and said, after our lengthy conversation about my love of pipes, that he knew I wasn’t going to fix the up and sell them but would actually enjoy them. After I paid them he said, let me help you box all of these up.

He proceeded to box up the racks, and all of the other pipes he had. I was so moved by his genoristy, I had to ask why? He simply said these have been sitting in a box since 1974, and you were the first person who displayed such passion and a respect for the history of the individual pipes.

When I got home I started researching the others, that were in rough shape. Found a few magic inches, some vintage Grabow, and Kaywoodys. The Kaywoodies were from 1932-1935. Further discovering the collection, found some nice Barlings, old Peterson’s, and Savinelli. I will never forget this day and when the time comes hope to repay the favor to pass along these great pipes.

Comments

• Options
    @Jayhawk422, congratulations on such a find. Take good care of those pipes, eh?
  • Options
    These pipes have been apart of my rotation for the past few years, all have been good smokers.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that story. I hope one day I'll run into a nice treasure trove like that, but I'm happy you were able to score it.
  • Options
    Thanks @thebadgerpiper. I believe everyone will have their chance at a big score, mine just came early.
  • Options
    Great story @Jayhawk422.  It's nice to score once in awhile.  Congratulations! 
  • Options
    wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    Wow, nice deal.  I once got a 1904 Peterson bulldog on Ebay for about $20.00, but that pales in comparison with your nice experience.
  • Options
    Great story @PappyJoe.  You were lucky and in the right place at the right time to find those gems!

• Options
    Another great story, let’s keep them coming!
  • Options
    Mine was the 1977 Dunhill. I wrote about it here.
    It was listed at 35$, but when I got to the register she reminded me it was 50% off and that she had one more not in the case that she would give me. It was a beautiful Savinelli (lightly smoked). 
    Two gorgeous pipes for $17.
  • Options
    @Mangoandy is a great story. It is the thrill of the hunt that keeps me going for estate pipes. I typically like finding them out in the wild vs. going on eBay; not to say I haven’t done so. Let keep other good stories coming!
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I "won" my "holy grail" pipe on eBay one day in January and was so excited I drove a hundred miles in a blizzard that evening after work to pick it up. Another was a friend and pipe mentor presented me with a very special pipe when I first displayed the collection in Chicago a few years ago. I have other great estate pipe memories and I continue to make them at pipe shows every year.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited February 2018
    I recently scored a mid-80s or earlier James Upshall Tilshead for around $15 USD ($29 after shipping from Scotland) that was listed (with stem backwards) as an “antique” on eBay. They obviously didn’t know what they had. It cleaned up great and smokes even better. 

Before

After

• Options
    @daveinlax and @jfreedy. Great stories, it’s one of the reason why I enjoy estate pipes so much. I enjoy going to estate sales and finding the few rare items outside of the traditional Grabow, yellow bike, and Kaywoodie. Even though I have a great collection of them as well.
  • Options
    @Jayhawk422 — this past year I’ve really enjoyed hunting estate pipes. There’s just a lot of satisfaction that comes with finding, winning & restoring an old pipe to a beautiful and smokable treasure. I plan to keep doing this and giving away most them. My friends and family are lucky to have me.  :p
  • Options
    Four out of my ten pipes are estate/used. Only one came with a ghost, and three salt and alcohol treatments to exorcise it. (At the time, I hadn't heard of @PappyJoe's coffee treatment.
  • Options
    I originally heard of the coffee treatment from a back episode of Pipes Magazine Podcast. It has a ton of great info on them and dives deep in the pipe world. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, Bascally that's akin to finding a 1 of 1000 Winchester 73 in a $25 barrel at a remote General Store in the back of beyond. Nice story. @Jayhawk422 That's more like walking along the seashore and finding a bunch of black triangular thins that turnout to be Pieces of Eight. Great find.
  • Options
    @Jayhawk422 - I didn't invent the method. I was first told about it back in the 1970s and I've seen it on a few other forums. Did hear it on a podcast once or twice also.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I’m just happy of the community here and how everyone will go out of their way to help a fellow brother of the briar.
  • Options
    @Woodsman that is a great analogy. Maybe one day I’ll find Black Beard’s treasure.
  • Options
    @Jayhawk422 You never can tell.