Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Oom Paul Fans???

Any other Oom Paul fans out there?  I love the look and the lip hanging quality of Oom Paul's and have several but I notice they aren't very easy to find.  Is it a favorite pipe that gets picked up quick or is it not very popular?  Where have you found them?

Comments

• Options
    I prefer bent pipes (1/8, 1/2 or full) but, the Oompaul holds over 2+ hours of smoking which is a bit much for me. Most of my pipes have a depth of 1 1/4" or less which last about an hour for me.
  • Options
    I have a Savinelli Non Pareil Oom Paul from the 1970s. Found it at a collectibles shop and paid $10 for it. 

nonpareil_restored
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @pappyjoe that is a gorgeous pipe
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    My favorite Oom Paul that I own right now is a Peterson African Meerschaum from (guessing) the 70's that I found on eBay.  I find myself going for it most of the time when I want a smoke.PETERSON Rock Effect Meerschaum Oom Paul Bent Estate 6
  • Options
    I love them. They usually hang great for me and it is a relaxing smoke.
  • Options

Just featured my Oom-Paul on today's Daily Briar Photoshoot. Love the shape and the way it hangs while resting on my chin and beard. I just need to get a good one. Mine was a poorly crafty basket pipe that had a lot of filler ... but it wasn't until I began smoking it that cracks started to develop revealing just how much filler was added. There is one section at the base of the bowl that's about the size of my fingernail on my little finger. How I missed it when I bought it I'll never know. But I'm seriously expecting it to burn through at some time in the very near future. It burns exceptionally hot and has a relatively thin wall. I won't ream it no matter how thick the cake gets because it's probably the only thing keeping the pipe functioning.

034 b
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I had one first time around. I remember it being heavy in the mouth, but a very cool smoke.
  • Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    I have one which I love, but never have enough time to smoke it. It begin so big.
  • Options
    Mine used to be in the weekly rotation. Now I only smoke it once or twice a month.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Oom Paul specific website: 

• Options
    loammiloammi Newcomer
    I have been eyeing several Savinelli 614s, it's a shape that calls out to me.  I'll own one sometime this year.
  • Options
    My Savinell Non Pareil 9604. I found the pipe at an antique shop in a back of parts and bought it for $10. I sent it off to have a new stem made.
    to look like the original.

nonpareil_restored
  • Options
    loammiloammi Newcomer
    @PappyJoe - that sir, is a beautiful pipe and I'm jealous that you snagged it for $10. All the antique shops around me are in love with their pipes and price them to keep them.
  • Options
    @ioammi - I started buying estate pipes at antique/collectible/junk shops before American Pickers became a popular TV show on the history channel. Now everyone is overpricing their pipes. I've actually told some people their Kaywoodies and Dr. Grabows are not antiques and definitely not worth more than $10. They don't appreciate it when I tell them I can buy a brand new one for under $30.
  • Options
    Those Wally Frank POM's that I like to collect were a pipe a month for a year for $12 Post Paid. Some people see the Pipe of the Month stamp and equate it to Pipe of the Year on price. I have 3 of them, one is a favorite of mine. Wally Frank sold literally hundreds of different pipes of all prices and I've never been disappointed in them.
  • Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    WP_20170123_004
    I'm not a big fan of the Oom Paul shape, but do keep a few of them around for sentimental reasons.

• Options
    @TeCarp - I like the one in the lower left corner. Who made it?

• Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    That's an Israeli-made pipe.  Other than the word Israel stamped on the shank, there are no markings.  The shape is known as a saxophone.  The Shalom Pipe Company was known for its slightly skewed takes on classic pipe shapes.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    I only have one of that type. I rarely smoke it, it lasts me 2 hours ore more.Peterson 65
  • Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    @motie2 That's the one.  I have several Israeli pipes with only the country stamped on them.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    I vote yes on Oom Pauls, or Hungarian as some refer to them. Only issue would be the overly large capacity in the two I have, there is the danger of setting my beard on fire when lighting. A very unique and comfortable shape.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @TeCarp -- https://pipedia.org/wiki/Shalom_Pipe_Factory

Shalom Pipe Factory

Not much is known about Israel's sole pipe factory though it's reported to have operated quite successfully on international markets.

Beside the brand "Shalom" the mainstay brand was Alpha - especially well known in the USA. Alpha was popular for a range of fresh and unusual shapes. 

Alpha also produced at least one of its Citation forms for Carey's "Magic Inch" series.

Mentioned in context with Shalom Pipe Factory was a Danish pipemaker named 'Muki Liebermann', who later lived and worked in the USA. Muki is known for his unique briar bending technique and his original shapes that gave inspiration to many of the most praised Danish pipemakers.

Shalom was taken over by Robert L. Marx of New York City, later Sparta, NC, then of Mastercraft. Mastercraft continued the Alpha pipes introducing new lines.

Other brands from Israel:

Andersen
    Burl King (Best known for their Danish-looking "thumbhole" pipes with plateau tops.)
    Fader (Presumably for Fader's Tobacco Shop, Baltimore. Also known: Fader - Made In Denmark.)
    Goliath Briar (huge pipes)
    Krisson
    Mastersen
    Trophy