Home General
Options

Indoor or Outdoor

drac2485drac2485 Professor
Are you an indoor or outdoor smoker primarily?  Reason (climate/season/spouse/rental...)?

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I primarily smoke outdoors unless I go that one friend's house.  I'm in a non-smoking house so its not allowed inside.
  • Options
    I'm not allowed to smoke inside the house, so it's outside if the weather is nice, but if not I smoke in the garage. Not optimal, but not horrible either. 
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Inside only for the pipes. I would quit before I had to sit outside.
  • Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer

Outdoors or in my car (alone), it's a compromise I can live with.

• Options
    Outdoors or in my shop if it is raining or too cold. If it's too hot I don't smoke. I'd like to smoke inside but the smell bothers others in the house. I wish I could find a good air filtration system for my room that would eliminate the oder. One day I hope to get a screened and windowed gazebo or porch that I can heat and air condition.
  • Options
  • Options
    Before we moved last summer, I had a 18x20 deck that I had covered, carpeted and enclosed with screened vinyl windows. I put an 18,000 btu A/C & heating window unit in it. It was a great smoking room except when temperatures were extremely cold. I miss it a lot.
  • Options
    Yeah I bet @joehandyman. I think a good summer/fall project would be to build another one!
  • Options
    Mostly indoors. I'm widowed, so I smoke where I want.
  • Options
    Indoors mainly for pipe smoking. The wind sometimes get to be to much a thing to fight with. Plus just easier to light up inside. 
  • Options
    crapgamecrapgame Newcomer
    outdoors...i smoke at work and have to smoke outside..when i at home i smoke outside and when no one home..i never smoke in front of my kids
  • Options
    I smoke my pipes in the garage outside. It's rare for me to have a pipe outside of the garage, unless it's by a fire. It's just a pain to get my pipe lit in the wind.
  • Options
    mostly in the garage or while driving.... but during the winter next to a roaring fire is probably my favorite place to smoke
  • Options
    I gotta try that this winter @drfrankenstein56....now to convince the wife!
  • Options
    @PipeProfessor, its works well if it is an open hearth fire place, the draft will drag less then desirable latakia smells right up the flue to keep the wife at bay. Even though I live in the desert, were fairly out in the sticks and run propane for conventional heat and that's just waaaaaaaaaay to expensive these days. 3 cords for a winter season, Its a great way to stay in shape
  • Options
    @drfrankenstein56 We have a wood/coal fire stove, but it is not open. I know what you mean with staying in shape. Every 4th of July I cut and split wood for two solid days for my father-in-law and myself, it's a heck of a workout! We also cut down two 30 year old pines at my place a few months ago, so I have been chopping a few logs by hand everyday. We have a beautiful outdoor fire pit, so the pine is great for that!
  • Options
    Out doors in the summer spring and fall in the winter I have a sun room I can smoke in but thats as close to in the house Ican go. And thats all right with me it has a nice veiw of the back yard.
  • Options
    Mostly outdoors because my life has some respiratory problems and it can affect her. But in the winter months if it's way too cold outside or even in the garage I'll smoke in the family room once when goes to sleep - since the bedrooms are on the other side of the house. Then when I'm finished I go through the house with a can of scented air spray and try to mask what-ever stench I've left behind. 
  • Options
    outdoors im the only smoker
  • Options
    Outdoors all the way, or near an open door (my garage or at work). I love the fresh air and don't mind the cold.
    Indoors is stuffy to me and adding a plethora of smoke makes it stuffier.

• Options
    I smoke mainly in my beat up old car or on walks outside.
  • Options

I prefer indoors, but sometimes I will sit in my pickup and smoke, if I am trying to enjoy a particular location. When it comes to smoking pipes as well as cigars, I like some ventilation, but if the wind is too unruly, it makes the perfect smoking cadence difficult for me. I would smoke a lot more outdoors, if I didn't have to deal with frustrating wind conditions. That is one reason I like my pickup. I can roll the side glass down perfectly, in order to control the air movement.

I remember watching a documentary on cigar smoking years ago, where a fellow from Spain was explaining that during bullfights, the spectators smoked cigars. He mentioned that to enjoy a cigar properly, it should be smoked indoors, but in Spain, smoking cigars outdoors during bullfights had become a tradition. I suspect that the pipe experience is optimized indoors as well.

• Options
    I prefer smoking outside whenever it's comfortable to do so. Unfortunately, living in New England limits this to about 8 months out of the year. During the winter, I smoke in the house in front of the fireplace.

Most of my outdoor smoking takes place on the backyard deck. Indoors or out, I'm always joined by my dogs.

I would argue that whether you are smoking indoors or out, one of the important considerations is that of having a comfortable chair or lounge. Unless you are working or engaged in some other activity at the time, the pipe smoking experience is greatly enhanced by having a top notch place to sit and enjoy it.
  • Options
    I prefer smoking outdoors, reading a book, hiking, etc. In the winter or in inclement weather, I smoke in my little den, on the second floor, I do have a Hepa filter unit which does work well.
  • Options
    Indoors. When I can manage it I prefer indoors. We built a shed in the backyard that has AC and a sound system. That's were I smoke most of the time, but I have been known to light up in the bedroom when everyone else in the house is asleep.
  • Options
    In or out, Wife and I both smoke so I can smoke my pipes in
    any weather.
  • Options

Other than watching TV there seems to be so much more to look at when outdoors, so for me outdoor smoking is a much more satisfying experience. I've always enjoyed studying nature and you never know what you'll see when you're sitting quietly puffing your pipe in silence. There was a family of Peregrine Falcons that had taken up residence in the wooded area near me and I'd watch them hunt. One afternoon I heard a bunch of commotion off to my left, and I suddenly saw a falcon flying overhead with a squirrel in it's talons. And on another occasion I watched a large crow battling an even larger snake. The snake lost, of course. And being something of a sci-fi fanatic my late night smoking entails scanning the skies for UFOs, comets and falling stars. And during the day the conspiracy nut in me counts the ever increasing chemtrails that checkerboard the sky and wonder exactly what toxic chemicals are creating these patterns - and why. Unfortunately I don't have any hot looking neighbors with a swimming pool, otherwise I'd be looking in their direction instead of in the sky. 

• Options
    Definitely an outside smoker due to the spouse.  Would love to have my forever home so I could make a nice lounge.