Home The Pack
Options

Solar Storm

To all our far north members, a major Solar Storm is hitting Earth today, the  Aurora Borealis should be awesome.

Comments

• Options
    I got to see the aurora borealis one time back in the '50's.  Pictures cannot do it justice..... and it moves.
  • Options
    I lived in Alaska from '91 to ''95. The Northern Lights are simply awesome. Pictures don't do them justice. As @motie2 mentioned, they move. It's fascinating to watch them flow. Like illuminated ribbons in the sky. Most common are shades of green but on rare occasion, colors of pink, blue and purple are visible. These are not photos I've taken but a few I found that I use as backgrounds. 

• Options
    A 360 degree interactive video of the Aurora Borealis. 

https://youtu.be/ehJg_OlcjpE
  • Options
    In recent years my neighbors have been putting up brighter and brighter security lights up and down the street making it almost impossible to enjoy nighttime sky watching, spoiling solar lightshows, comets, or meteor showers. For people living in big cities 'Light Pollution' is a real thing for the amateur astronomers or casual sky watcher like myself. Can't tell you how many times I've gone outside expecting to see some solar event only to have it spoiled by the glare of streetlights and security lights.  
  • Options
    I went back to the camp SWMBO and I worked as counselors. This was pre-the 1969 wedding. When we were there you could go out and lay in the middle of the largest sports field, look up at the stars, and make the world go away. Then we made out. 

When I went back, you could hear cars going by on a new highway.