Home The Lounge
Options

Lars Ivarsson Died of Cancer

We’ve just lost a giant in the industry... a father if you will. Lars Ivarsson has left an impressive legacy that has impacted the entire pipe world. He will be missed. There’s not much written about his death except that he died of cancer. As a pipe smoker this concerns me. We’ve all read or heard of the 1964 Surgeon Generals report which found (in their sample) that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers. I’ve quoted this many times myself. That said, I still have a nagging concern about the effects of daily pipe smoking. I used to only smoke a few times a month and never worried about it. However, now that I’m smoking daily (1-2 bowls typically) I do wonder about this. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Comments

• Options
    @jfreedy I believe it's a subject that becomes more closely considered and thought about more often as one gets older. I too think about the effects of pipe smoking on my health. That said, I enjoy pipe smoking and I am willing to weigh the risk vs. the reward. I was a heavy cigarette smoker for nearly 30 years while still enjoying the occasional pipe. I quit the cigs over 2 years ago and, like you, enjoy 1-2 bowls of pipe tobacco a day. Is pipe smoking safer, or dare I say, healthier? I can't say for sure but I do know that since I quit cigarettes, my blood pressure has gone down considerably. I'm also able to climb a set of stairs without getting winded and I exercise regularly. I'm able to say I'm in better health as a pipe smoker than as a cigarette smoker.  Does that give me a free pass from the dreaded "C"? Absolutely not. I'm of the mind set that anything in excess can be a detriment to your health. Of course, we all know that there are people who develop lung cancer that have never smoked and there are lifelong heavy tobacco users who are healthy as an ox. Bottom line in my opinion? It's a crap shoot. I think there are other things to consider in addition to tobacco use. Most obvious are genetics and lifestyle choices like diet, exercise and stress. My grandfather used to say that life would be easier to plan if birth certificates had an expiration date. He lived into his 90's. Smoked a pipe and chewed tobacco every day.  He never spent a day in the hospital. I can only hope to be so lucky. 
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited February 2018
    @Kmhartle — Excellent points... all of them. And, I’m sure that few would argue that pipe smoking is in even the same ballpark as cigarette smoking (even though the FDA lumps us all together). I also think genetics, stress levels, and diet have a huge role to play in long term health. My grandfather (who smoked pipes and cigars occasionally) also lived into his 90s and last week I my 93 year old grandmother buried her 96 year old sister. So I’m also blessed with genetics. Thanks for your thoughts, @Kmhartle. You and I pretty much think alike.

I’m curious how much your pipe helped while quitting cigarettes. Were/Are you tempted to inhale while pipe smoking? Did you use a patch or medication to help? I’ve never smoked cigarettes so I’m curious how difficult this was. 
  • Options

In my favorite western of all time "The Last Outlaw," when it is time for him to face the posse, John C. McGinley simply remarks, "Everybody's gotta die sometime."

Seriously though, I had a good friend die back in 2008 of lung cancer, and he never smoked cigarettes, pot, cigars, or a pipe.

The reality is, that usually of one cancer doesn't get you, another one will. Plus, so much of what finally gets you, is all determined by your DNA from the time you are born. I remember watching a documentary once, that said that with DNA, the future of medicine is to begin to treat children pro actively for the diseases that they will die from later in life.

Just think, parents used to worry about how much CD's and stereo systems cost, but compared to medical treatment, CD's and stereos are extremely cost effective.

• Options
    @motie2 - I blame delivery doctors and midwives. From the day they slap a baby's bottom it is destined to die.
  • Options
    I'm too classy a guy to post, "Life sucks and then you die."
    But that's the sciaica talking....
  • Options
    @jfreedy My pipe smoking did not help my quitting cigarettes.  I started smoking cigarettes in high school and picked up my first pipe when I was 24. I smoked both for decades, with cigarettes being my predominant means of nicotine.  I'd smoke a pipe almost daily in addition to 1 pack plus of cigarettes. More for the flavor than the nicotine. As a cigarette smoker, I also inhaled the pipe.

Over two years ago, with my blood pressure skyrocketing and my overall health being crappy, my doctor suggested I try Chantix. Within a few weeks I was tobacco free and not craving the pipe or cigarettes. Once I stopped taking the Chantix, I was still craving free.  So what does one do when they quit smoking? Start again! (Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it dozens of times!

I actually put a lot of thought into it before I lit my first bowl.  I was feeling better and didn't want to fall back into the cigarettes again. I no longer inhale the pipe. I enjoy the pipe. In fact, I enjoy it more without the cigarettes as I think the flavors of the blends are more palatable to me now. I don't feel addicted to the pipe as I did with cigs. I can go 3 or 4 days without smoking and not go into a crazed nicotine withdrawal like I did with cigarettes.  

Knock on wood, my 1-2 bowls a day have not effected my BP or my ability to get winded while exercising or working. 

For me, cigarette smoking was a vice and an addiction. Pipe smoking is a simple pleasure.
  • Options
    My father smoked four packs of Camels a day, until he lost a lung to "Johnny Bench Disease," and switched to big cigars at age 70. My mother smoked two packs of Chesterfields a day. She never quit. For some strange reason I had bronchitis and "The Croup," a lot as a child. To this day I have never smoked a cigarette. I actually don't care for tobacco, which is why I favor the strongly flavored Sutliff tobaccos. Everyone comments on, " ....that great pipe aroma!" 

I'm 71 and SWMBO still won't let me smoke in the house. She says she will if I make it to 80. >:) 
  • Options
    @motie2 -- I love it!! Your wife sounds like a strong lady. I'm also married to a strong lady and wouldn't have it any other way. I too smoke outside with no chance of that changing.... ever!!  :#
  • Options
    @jfreedy -- So, what do you want from the library?
  • Options
    The one about cellaring tobacco.
  • Options
    Here are some insightful words from Dennis Prager (as usual) on Pipe and Cigar smoking:
    http://www.dennisprager.com/why-i-smoke-cigars/

• Options
    @SLCarrico -- Great Article!!!  I'll be passing this one on.
  • Options
    One likes to think he or she will die a heroic death, saving a life or during some act of bravery - but the stark reality is if we're lucky enough to make it past the foolish risks we take during our youth we usually end up wasting away from either cancer, a heart attack, stroke, or if we live long enough dementia.  So discovering someone has died of cancer should never surprise us. And cancer strikes smokers and non-smokers alike. My Dad smoked for thirty years or more then one day stopped ... then started back up after 10 years ... then quit again when the cost of a pack of cigarettes went sky high.  And he spent 45 years in the Steel Mill as a welder, breathing in what-ever God awful fumes are emitted from welding rods. And Dad is thankfully still with us at 94 years old. On the other hand my two Grandfathers were heavy smokers and both died before the age of 65. So it seems to be something of a crap shoot. The way I look at it is I'm not inhaling - but I'm sure I'm getting some of the smoke in my lungs, even if it's second hand smoke from the air around me as I smoke. But I'm not forcing smoke down my lungs. As @motie2 so eloquently stated "No one gets out of here alive." So enjoy what time you have doing what you enjoy.   
  • Options
    If you missed it the first three times around, here is an evidence-based conclusion:
    No one gets out of here alive, and it usually ends badly. 
    This I learned from 40 years in the pulpit.
  • Options

I remember reading in one of Rick Newcomb's books, that he considered 2 to 3 bowls a day, moderate pipe smoking. As knowledgeable as he is about the hobby, as well as life, I feel confident following his recommendation. There is a lot of valuable information to be obtained in both of Mr. Newcomb's books, and I would recommend reading both of them back to back.

• Options
    Me too @PappyJoe. I’ll be on a stream with fly rod in hand and pipe in mouth.  

• Options
    I actually found funerals to be the best chance to do some immediate good: eulogizing the deceased, comforting the mourners, making sure that things go smoothly at the funeral home, and at the family's gathering place afterwards.
  • Options
    @motie2 I was a funeral director for 20 years in my previous life. I bet we both have interesting funeral home stories. Good, bad, sad and funny. 
  • Options
    Ordained in '73, retired in 2013. 

"I've got a million of them."
  • Options
    One of the best things about funerals, is the food! It is a twisted dichotomy where you are mourning the loss of a loved one, while simultaneously enjoying some of the finest vittles on the planet.
  • Options
    This article about Dr. Bob, a physician who carves pipes, is also pretty encouraging.
  • Options
    How old was Lars? How many bowls a day did he smoke? Did he inhale? What kind of cancer? I think these are important details. He may have gotten cancer even if he never smoked a pipe. My condolences to his loved ones.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    edited February 2018
    I'd love to see a good, double-blind, longitudinal, scientific study of pipe smokers. One that controls for number of bowls/day, whether the person does or did also smoke cigarettes, socio-economic status, and other health factors such as drinking, exercising, stress levels, etc. Maybe we should all chip in for one. The tobacco and pipe companies could chip in as well.  I remember back in my days as an environmental consultant we had a client who was a gold miner. There is some kind of correlation between gold mining and mercury levels in the environment, but very few good studies (and there are lots of factors that can increase mercury in the environment). He came to us and dumped money on us saying "I want you to do a good, defensible, study. If we are increasing mercury levels in the environment, I want to know it and I want to know how we are doing it so we can stop it." I'd love the same for pipe smoking.
  • Options
    Us who served Sea Duty in the USN worry about Mesothelioma from the Asbestos that we ate, drank, slept with, and breathed 24 hours a day. My God, I had an asbestos wrapped pipe inches from my head when I slept in my canvas rack. I think about this quite often as I know a couple of my fellow crew members have gone to the Great Muster in the sky. Most all of us at that time also smoked cigarettes which certainly does not help the concern.....I was lucky stopping cigarettes just after my enlistment and before I got married.

So although I worry about it often, I am not going to change my lifestyle now. I figure at almost 70 I have gotten this far, and with some of my exploits, adventures, and litany of mistakes, I am either lucky or most likely I have an over protective Guardian Angel (who might also smoke cigars and a pipe?). At some point I suppose I will have to die from something.........