Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What's your recommendation for a new pipe smoker?

I'm not talking about me either.

Suppose you have someone interested in becoming a pipe smoker. What tobacco do you recommend they start with? Personally, I usually tell them to start with one of the good OTCs that have been around for decades - Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half & Half, etc. Good dependable tobacco that is not going to require too much effort to pack into a pipe and smoke and will not bite them like a rabid alligator. My theory is to start them off slow and let them learn at their own pace.

Other than the three I mentioned, what do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Hmmmm... That's a semi-difficult question.  I have helped get a few friends into pipe smoking and I always vary what I recommend by their tastes.  Most that I have gotten into pipes started as cigar smokers so they aren't afraid of a stronger tobacco.  Like you said I try to recommend something doesn't bite like an alligator *Wish someone would have taught me that in the beginning.  However, as I learned when I started smoking pipes, anything can bite so I normally recommend an aromatic that is strong in flavor so as they smoke they can tell if they are smoking to fast because the flavor turns to a burnt taste forcing them to slow down.  Most have fallen in love with Lane's Black Raspberry when they got started.
  • Options
    I usually suggest Lane 1Q. Its a great blend with a good room note, doesn't bite, and if they really enjoy it they can find it pretty much anywhere. 
  • Options
    The codger burleys are forgiving and easy to smoke, so that's a real advantage. They're also comparatively inexpensive and easy to find.
    For a cigar smoker, something with a bit more flavor might also be a good suggestion - maybe a good lat blend.
  • Options
    Lane 1Q out of a MM Legend or Country Gentleman.
  • Options
    I'd agree with @iamandrewx in that I'd recommend an MM before a Grabow or Medico.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe, i've all but quit smoking briar as of recently haha
  • Options
    Dr. Grabow is an old, well established pipe manufacturer and are serviceable for a beginner pipe even today. That being said, the best Dr. Grabows are the old ones that have been properly cleaned and restored.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    In addition to recommending good beginner pipes and blends, I think it's important to emphasize the need for patience. Pipe smoking is not that easy, and there's a lot that can go wrong to frustrate a rookie.

All too often, it seems that beginners give up on the hobby before they have given themselves a chance to become really good at it.
  • Options
    I agree with @topaz75, while the blends and pipes are great suggestions, they need someone to walk them through packing and lighting. Their first pipe needs to go as smoothly as possible.

For blends, I think 1Q or those codger burleys would be a great idea. And you can't ever go wrong with a good ol' cob. I gave a cob to a friend of mine who had been smoking a pipe for a few years off and on, and he actually preferred the simple ease of a cob.
  • Options
    @topaz75 hit the nail on the head with his emphasis on patience. There's a skill set to be mastered.
  • Options
    I only wish I had a friend to introduce to pipe smoking. Don't get me wrong I do have friends ... just none are interesting in smoking a pipe. But if I did, and he or she wasn't already a cigarette smoker, my first question would be ... "Are You Married?" If so I'd suggest an aromatic blend with the room note of freshly baked cookies or pancakes and maple syrup, making the initial impression for his or her significant other as pleasing an introduction to pipe smoking as possible.