Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe dedicated to trying new tobacco?

How many of you have pipes dedicated to trying new tobacco? I usually carry a mini size meerschaum for trying new tobaccos when I'm not home and I have a clay pipe I use at home for "learning" the nuances of new tobacco flavors before smoking them in a briar. I have also used Missouri Meerschaum Legends for this purpose as I've never had one ghost on me.

Comments

• Options
    I do not have one. I choose one in my collection that I think will fit the blend...but I like the idea as you will get a true taste for the new tobacco, esp with a cob. 
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I normally will try out a new tobacco in a meerschaum or meerschaum lined pipe.  I used to use a cob, when I first started smoking, and if I know that there will be a possible ghosting I will use a cob.
  • Options
    I've used cobs for this purpose in the past, but have not done so recently. It's my feeling that the best way to learn the nuances of a tobacco are to smoke it in a pipe you are very familiar with. I can see having a cob in pocket for sampling,though, when visiting a pipe shop. 
  • Options
    As Cobs are included in my rotation, I always carry a cob with me at pipe shows as well as a small bowled Nose Warmer.
  • Options
    I only have one cob left in my collection and use it when trying out new blends. Primarily when experimenting with Latakia and Balkan blends. I also have one briar - an old work pipe that has seen better days dedicated to trying out new blends.   
  • Options
    I keep a few cobs around for trying new blends out that I'm not sure will mix well with my briars. They do a great job, and I firmly believe every piper needs a cob in their rotation.