Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Who has tried Twist or Rope tobacco?

The Country Squire Radio podcast talked about twist tobacco tonight. Who among you have tried twist or ropes and have lived to tell us about it?

Comments

• Options
    Great topic! I have not, I want to try some GH rum twist or coconut twist. I'd be excited to see if anyone has tried it and what they thought.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I haven't but have been looking at getting some but every time I have gotten the funds they are out of stock.  For anyone that does get some I heard some great advice to pass along... a cigar cutter turns the rope into coins very quickly and easily and then prep like coins.
  • Options
    @drac2485 - check out the Country Squire youtube channel. The show the taped Monday night was about twists. The also have some in stock.
  • Options
    @drac2485 I think I saw some on P&C last night.
  • Options
    tomatobodhitomatobodhi Apprentice
    I had some Kendal Finest, Black X or something like that. It was years ago down in Mississippi and it tasted like buffalo chips to me at the time. That was about seven years ago, though, and I have since heard a lot of people who like ropes say the same thing about the Black X, so I am anxious to pick some brown or flavored rope up and try it again with more experience under my belt.

I know that John David at country squire radio was talking about how enjoyable the G&H Rum Twist is, so I may give that a whirl as a (re)entry into ropes.

I go squirrel hunting quite a bit and miss my pipe while I'm in the woods chasing tree rats, so I've thought about the virtue of a rope I can shave chewing plugs off now and again while sitting on a log being still. Not sure how still and quiet I can be while spitting, but at least the room (forest?) note won't give me away instantly... Will it? I've never tried chewing a rope plug, so I don't know how strong the smell would be if I'm spitting it in the woods.
  • Options
    I just tried Black Cherry Twist from G&H and it put me down... smoke on a full stomach!  Rope tobaccos are great but they're typically STRONG!
  • Options
    @jondavidcole - and don't be a lightweight.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Thanks for all the advice so far... Smoke in a cob, on a full stomach, and be ready for a heavy Nic punch
  • Options
    I want to give the coconut twist a go, but everyone seems to be out of stock. It will reappear eventually. 
  • Options
    I've got some Brown No. 4 and I find it satiates the cigar smoker in me. I'm curious as to how well it will cellar, so I put some of the rope in a jar a few months back. I'll try it in five years unless someone convinces me I should abort the mission.
  • Options
    I have smoked coconut twist. I liked it. The coconut flavor does not come through,but it has a good sweetness and my wife liked the smell. I have happy brown bogie now. Wife does not like the smell of it much. Another question is how do you prep your rope. Coins, cube it, or rub it out? I have tried all three. I like to cube it. A sharp knife is helpful or a sharp cleaver.
  • Options
    I smoke several twists and ropes. my favorite is rum twist. I also really like conistan cut plug unscented which is along the same lines. the reason they are so damn strong is they have a touch of nictiniana rustica (indian tobacco) in them. I grow tobacco primarily burley but have grown indian tobac and it is an ass kicker.
  • Options
    I am in love with G&H Black Irish X. Tastes just like a juicy chargrilled steak, and even has an added component that duplicates the flavorful soft fat around the edge of a good ribeye. I really like the nostalgia of smoking rope and plug tobaccos, especially so out of a cob. Back in the day, your average working man would buy a twist, rope, or plug, and chew it during the day while working, and stuff it onto a cob in the evening to relax.
  • Options
    Several of the G and H. You have to work a little but the results are good. Enough Nic in most of em to get your motor running!
  • Options
    I've smoked the Black XX and, while it's not an always smoke for me, when I want it, I WANT it. It's unlike anything else in my cellar, for sure. Savory is a good descriptor.

• Options
    pylornspylorns Apprentice
    Wow.  Yeah I've tried some twist before it's ok, I'm actually hoping to sample some more, not sure if Black XX is for me though.
  • Options
    You need a really sharp knife and I found it best if you shave the coins off as thin as possible that way they'll fall apart easier. Most ropes are very high in vitamin N so be prepared.