Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Penzance or Margate

I've never had the privilege of trying either of these blends, i'm trying to keep an eye out for when they come into stock at a few different websites (no B&M's near me).  I've heard they are both pretty good English blends but probably over hyped.  I'm curious if anyone could recommend a blend that might be at least similar to either or both of them that I might get a resemblance of what these blends bring to the table?  If not maybe the "Hype" around them is warranted?  Just curious, Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    They're often spoken of. I've never tried either as well, I didn't get involved with English blends till 5 years ago and haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.
  • Options
    I've got some Margate, and it is OK, but nothing special IMHO.  There are a lot of good English blends out there.  Country Squire has several (Bag End, for example).
  • Options
    Penzance is listed as an Oriental blend because it contains "Virginias, choice Turkish and orientals and Cyprian latakia" leafs. 
    Margate is listed as an English blend because it contains "latakia, Oriental/Turkish and Virginias".

So the main difference seems to be the percentage of each leaf as neither have any added flavoring. Also Penzance is considered a flake while Margate is a shag. 

I have smoked both. I have 50 gram tins of both in my cellar. I prefer the Penzance over the Margate. For that matter, I prefer Pembroke over Margate but only because it's the same as Margate with a Cognac flavoring. 

As I said, I have a tin of Penzance I bought in 2015. I am waiting until the price of Penzance reaches $200 an ounce before I sell it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    edited February 2018
    Have not had the pleasure of smoking either.  I have been told that Penzance is great and is everything an English blend should be but I am unable to find any in stock to try and no one at my regular brick & mortar shop is willing to part with any.  I will try it should it ever becomes available but for now, I am pleased with Dunhill blends, E. Hoffman Company's Spilman Mixture and Distinguished Gentleman, and Ratray's Westminster Abbey to name a few.

• Options
    In that not everyone visits the Rattray's Exotic Orange discussion, I've gotta post this again....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqvOzrbFbv4
  • Options
    I read the other day that GL Pease's Quiet Nights is a close representation of Penzance.  Can anyone confirm or deny these allegations.
  • Options
    Seattle Pipe Clubs Plum Pudding reminds me a lot of Penzance, but YMMV.
  • Options
    First of all, full disclosure....  I am an Esoterica Fan Boy!

I absolutely love Penzance, Margate & Stonehaven, and am definitely a fan of And So To Bed, Dunbar, Peacehaven, Tilbury, Pembroke and others.

I find Margate to be more subdued than Penzance, but find them both wonderful tobacco experiences.  If you have a chance to obtain / try any, I would definitely recommend it.

As for Quite Nights or Plum Pudding...  Both great smokes and yes, I do find the Quite Nights similar to Penzance.