Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The One You Hate

2»

Comments

• Options
    There are plenty I don't care for, but the one I hate?

Schermerhorn Mixture.  So bad...so very, very bad.
  • Options
    So far, only 3 Sails is a hate.
  • Options
    Erinmore Flake. I don't understand it, because I like Erinmore Mixture....
  • Options
    I recently gave Sir Walter R a try. My first burley. I couldn't finish the bowl. I blended the rest of the pouch with an aromatic that was too sweet and syrupy for me. I'm going to let it cellar for a year and then give that a try, I don't want to just throw it out.  I think its burley alone that I don't like. I may give it another chance some day, but I'm afraid to.
  • Options
    @SLCarrico Don't give up on Burleys until you've had Solani Aged Burley Flake. If you don't like that... THEN you can give up on burleys, because they don't get much better or more burley than that one. I love burleys but personally can't finish a bowl of SWR.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip tomatobodhi . That gives me some hope. I do want to give burley another try. I want to try Granger, but not a whole tub. Going to put Solani on my wish list and give that a try for my next burley.
  • Options
    Not a hater of any but if Borkum Riff was the only tobacco available I would most likely sell all my pipes. I guess it appeals to a lot of smokers but it always made me wish I was a dog so I could lick my ass to get the taste out of it
  • Options
    Middleton's Cherry, Apple was OK but, Cherry was unsmokeable.
  • Options
    I don't care for Latakia. However, I would smoke 10 lbs of it straight before ever again having anything with the Lakeland floral essence. Yikes
  • Options
    Russ' Snow Drift was the one I hated.  The one and only time a blend from Russ let me down but that stuff was AWFUL
  • Options
    @SLCarrico one thing I have noticed is that Burley can be the richest, smoothest smoke there is in some weather and a bitter biting mess in others.  I tend to smoke Prince Albert or Half and Half in a well seasoned cob whenever I'm mowing the lawn or working in my garden.  A warm day and a pipe of burley blend is a wonderful thing, but with the exception of christmas (sentimental holiday OTC blends for me) I avoid the american classic burley tobaccos in cold weather.  Maybe it is opposite for some or maybe I'm the one guy who has this opinion but I can say that burley tobacco, specifically classic drugstore blends, can be wonderful additions to a cellar and for me at least can be superior to many more expensive options
  • Options
    @paulwansing Yeah, I'm not done giving Burley a try. I think I just need to find the right blend. I'm still interested in trying Grainger, but likely will try some bulk blend first.
    So much toby, so little time (& $$$)
  • Options
    The new version of Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture was a real disappointment for me. I decided to toss it into a pound of McClelland 5110 Dark English, and it just disappeared into the mix.
  • Options
    Love me my English-style blends. I am currently dabbling with non-aromatics. 

If a blend has ANY sort of top dressing, flavoring--nope. And I am not really crazy about any blend with much over 20% burley of any sort...
  • Options
    I'm strictly an aromatic smoker but I've yet to find a cherry blend that agrees with me. It's the one flavored aromatic that blenders seem to have the most difficulty perfecting into something that doesn't taste so chemically artificial. Captain Black Grape may smell like Jolly Rancher candy in the pouch and taste like NEHI Grape Soda ... but in a very sweet and pleasant way. Whereas Captain Black Cherry - and all other cherry blends in general - leave my mouth with that bitter aftertaste associated with the artificial sweetener used in sugarless cherry candy.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii you sound like a man with discriminating tastes. I feel the same way you do about cherry tobaccos. I smoked pipes 1964 to the mid 80's and tried many cherry tobaccos. (Confession: I wanted something that smelled like Cherry Blend, but tasted like Balkan Sobranie, but hey, that's me.) Never found one I would buy a second time. I took up pipe smoking again in mid 2016, and quickly noticed that there are a lot more choices in cherry tobacco, including some with very fine pedigrees. Too many/too expensive to try even a representative sample. Please, if you find one you like, let us/me know. Thanks.

• Options
    I don't hate it while smoking it but that Mac Burley room note is something to admire if you like to smell awful things.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    GLP Cumberland.  Starts off nice and peppery and spicy with some sweetness and an intense nutty flavor mid bowl but then wham! bites the roof of my mouth and gets a bitter, ashy, old cigarette taste during the whole last 1/3 of the bowl.........Ha!, maybe i just smoke it too fast.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Anything that is too dry. Nothing is worse to me than a good blend that has dried too much. Even one's you might really enjoy are ruined. That's good to know when trying something out, you may not like it but if you're not smoking it how it's intended it end up being a loser.

If I had to pick a blend I didn't like I'd say anything I've ever bought in a Drugstore. Including the Captains, although I've gotten them through a tobacconist, and they were better.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @woodsman I thought of buying that P&C best of the rest one time and decided against it, LOL. I am glad I did based upon your experience thanks for sharing.

@woofstick I was fortunate enough that my brother bought a pouch of 5brothers once and I thought I would give it a go.... HA HA... Glad I didn't waste the cash, it was really bad, i think its meant for RYO.
  • Options
    RedsoxRedsox Newcomer
    Middletons Cherry Blend, any Borkum Riff, and wait for it....C and D Autumn Evening. I know many of you will be offended by that last one. I have to tell you it is not the worst but it was the one that disappointed me like no other tobacco I ever purchased. The tin description is just mouth watering. I went to tobacco reviews and these reviews just inspired me to go get this tobacco. It is super dry and I bought a tin. Not bulk. The maple smell smells like fake maple if there was such a smell. Because of it being dry it bit me. Every time I tried to smoke it it bit back. I should have re-hydrated it but after about the 5th bowl which I couldn't get through I took the jar over to the trash can and deposited promptly. I could have saved it but I did not like the taste or after taste anyway so to the landfill she went. Everybody is different and that is what makes this hobby diverse and great. Autumn Evening did not work with my chemistry but that does not mean this is not good tobacco for someone else. 
  • Options
    @redsox - we're not offended by you dumping Autumn Evening. You're a Boston Redsox fan so that explains a lot.
  • Options
    RedsoxRedsox Newcomer
    edited January 2017
    @PappyJoe wow I am getting some push back on my Redsox. Haha. Yes I can see why Redsox fans are viewed the way we are. We cried for 86 years and loved our own misery. Then when we won it all it  was like OK we now must win every year. Then every season we play 162 seasons. On the flip side though we have a high baseball IQ and respect the game and will even applaud the other team (as long as it is not the Yankees) when they achieve something great. Hey we even gave Jeter a classy send off. We are a very complex creatures for sure PappyJoe. Anyway thanks for letting me off the hook on Autumn Evening. I love Cornell and Diehl and I feel a little guilty bashing one of their big sellers. 
  • Options
    @redsox - no problem. Besides, I'm a Saints fan so I know about misery. Not as much as a Brown's fan, but we do know misery.
    As for Autumn Evening, I've recently finished off a tin and found it to be an okay tobacco. Not one of my must have favorites and not one I'll buy more of and stick in my cellar, but an okay tobacco.
  • Options
    Gawith Hoggarth Black Twist. I enjoy the brown twists and many other GH tobaccos, but the black twists have the lovely smell of a tire dowsed in gasoline and set on fire. Not my thing at all.