Home Ask an Expert
Options

tongue bite, tongue burn, Leather tongue

Pipefreak2383Pipefreak2383 Apprentice
edited January 2018 in Ask an Expert
Is there a different? in my research I have come to find out that tongue burn and tongue bite are different. Some of you know what tongue burn is. it's when you puff to much there is to much heat and when there is moisture in the pipe it creates steam which in turn burns your tongue. tongue bite, many may not know of this. why because it is put under tongue burn. I don't think this should be. tongue bite is when you puff and still get a sting in your mouth (as Listerine would do) not due to heat but do to a chemical reaction between the tobacco and your PH with your tongue. Leather tongue lets not even go there lol.....it's just say your know if you have it and it ain't pretty 

now that there is a little history I would like to know what ya'll all think about each area.

what is the proper way on your final lite of a pipe? does one puff quick or low and stead? 

have you ever did a char lite and had your tongue sting? in my experience yes I have. happens quick a lot really? to me this is not tongue burn. how can it be? 

in your opinion what is the different between tongue burn and tongue bite?  

what are ways to avoid tongue bite? is it possible?

Comments

• Options
    The right tobacco (for you) in the right pipe (for you) with the right smoking technique = no tongue bite.

The imp that lives inside me wants to say the difference between tongue burn and tongue bite is the last three letters in the word beginning with "b."  >:)
  • Options
    Tongue burn is from smoking too hot. 
    Tongue bite is from a PH or chemical imbalance between the tobacco and your mouth. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe @motie2

thank you for your comments. it's nice to know that I'm on the right track with my research. tongue bite isn't something I came across when I was reading about tongue burn I was seeing that they seem to be also talking about tongue bite but didn't refer it as tongue bite. 

what I find interesting is that I get this sting on final lighting of the pipe. not so much during. although at times the sting can go thought out my tongue and month leaving a itchy tinkling feeling. now with that being said I wanted to know if BRAND new pipe can give you this feeling?

what is the proper way to char and light your pipe? is a a matter of the way to puff in order to light it? are you suppose to sip it when lighting or do you do it kinda fast to get that draw?

I think my issue with some of this is the fact I am lighting it the wrong way plus I believe I get tongue bite from it. not really sure why I get it sometime and other times I don't. I know the only way tongue bite can be answered is by me. 
  • Options
    @Pipefreak2383- It also has to do with the way you pack your pipe.  By your own admittance, you stated that sometimes it occurs and other times it does not.  Is that true while smoking the same tobacco or is it varying from different tobaccos?

Check this out regarding how to packing your pipe and proper lighting:  https://www.google.com/search?q=packing+and+lighting+a+pipe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab#kpvalbx=1

• Options
    @Charles it has comes more with smoking dunhill early morning then it does my others. the charter hall and frog Morton only seem to bite the tip of my tongue not the whole tongue as the early morning does. although there have been a time or two they have done the same. and then I am done and the bite always goes away right away only think that remains is the tip of my tongue. I have noticed with them I have to let them sit out for a period of time doing so eases the bite and moisture in that matter. I have tried taking it slow on lighting the pipe and I get a puff or so in and then it goes out. I think my issue is I am lighting to often. yet again I am not really sure what my problem is. because one minute it seems to be drawing well got a good light and if I let it go for a few sec it seems to go out...
         in this video he states about drinking water or milk when smoking. I find if I drink water while smoking it seems to irritate the tip my tongue more then say if I drank a beer. drinking a beer seems to not bite me. I'm not sure if this is because the carbonated drink already semi numbed my tongue so when I light the pipe it don't bother me. I am not sure. 
        as I said before I seem to have the bite problem when I char and final light the pipe. which is also why I asked for advice on how to light your pipe...I know how to light it but on lighting do you slowly sip brake and then sip 1 or 2 times....i'm asking because I have tried a few different ways and one way or another I am getting bite from it.  
  • Options
    Not sure I can explain it. After I pack my pipe, I light it with either a match or my Zippo lighter, drawing in slow and easy.  After the tobacco rises in the bowl, I tamp it down slightly and then relight if needed. Slow and steady with light to medium puffing. I thought the two video links I provided would have helped you by answering that question.
  • Options
    @Charles
    it has help I'm not saying it didn't I was just expressing my side :-)