Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Meanderings and a resolution

Some of you may remember that, when I participated in the 2016 Secret Santa here, one of the things I received was a packet of the discontinued Kentucky Club Mild, which I had mentioned in another discussion as being my favorite of the old "codger burleys" that I had tried in the past.
That led me to another exploration of codger burleys (which I believe I discussed here somewhere). None of them supplanted my current favorite, and my go-to for a simple smoke, Lane Ready Rubbed.
That led me to an exploration of lighter (I hoped) aros - primarily vanilla - to see if one of those might be something I wanted to add to the rotation. None did - the only aro I smoke regularly, and that not often, is W.O. Larsen Signature - but IRC Banner Light came close.
I then grabbed the Holiday sampler from Boswell's - I haven't smoked them all, yet, but nothing has come close to what I was seeking.
Then, in a Facebook pipe group, I saw someone praise Stokkebye Natural Dutch Cavendish. I had once been fond of the Dutch cavendishes - I smoked a ton of Sail Regular and Troost Special, long ago - and have recently added Amphora Original to my rotation. I threw an ounce in to an order.
Tarnation, pipe smoking friends, this is good stuff. Nothing complex or sophisticated, just good,honest tobacco taste that is easy going enough that it could be an all day smoke. I do believe I have added a third tobacco to my "reach for it any time I want a pleasant, easy going smoke" rotation.
I would heartily recommend this to any one seeking such a smoke. 

Comments

• Options
    @judandhispipe Always glad to hear when a fellow pipe discovers a new blend that strikes his fancy. It's been years since I've smoked Amphora, back when you could find it at your local drug store. You aren't the first guy to sing the praises of it. I'm trying to cut down on my tobacco purchases in 2018, but I will add it to my list of blend worth buying next time Pipes & Cigars has a big sale. Right now after my Christmas haul I'm sure my wife would give me the stink eye if I were to put in another tobacco order.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe I'll have to try Amphora Original. I smoke Amphora Full Aroma, and I like it quite a bit. I'm sure the original is just as good.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe I smoked Amphora way back when, it was a good smoke. My tastes have changed but, I think it might be nice to revisit.
  • Options
    For some reason, I never smoked Amphora back in the day. A fair amount of Sail and Troost Special, as I mentioned - Troost was the first tobacco I bought in something larger than a pouch - and, heaven help me, too much Borkum Riff.Then I started going into Campbell's Smoke Shop in East Lansing, after Bill Campbell gave up his men's clothing store with a room of pipes and tobacco in the back, and opened up a little pipe shop on M.A.C.  Avenue - which is still there. I discovered all sorts of wonders in there.
  • Options
    Check out Bradley's (StuffandThings on YouTube) review of Amphora "Full Aroma." He hardly ever reviews aromatics......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BURMltty55o
  • Options

Some pipe smokers will try to lead the majority to believe, that Virginia's are the ultimate tobacco, and that everything else is inferior. Generally, that is true, but there are some aromatics out there, as well as other blends that really rock. I love smoking ropes, and somet of those are so adulterated, that they cannot be cellared for long term fermentation.

You never know whether a tobacco will tear up your mouth, until you smoke it!

• Options
    I tried Amphora Full Aroma, and did not like it as much as the Original.
    I have been smoking the Natural Dutch Cavendish in cobs; I have learned it is not happy in Generals. It likes Mark Twains and Country Gents and Patriots just fine.