Home Ask an Expert

Bowl Counting

A couple of days ago, I was at the dentist’s office and he, as always, asked me if I still smoked a pipe. I said yes and he followed up with, “How many bowls a day?” I responded politely, but in my head I was thinking, “How the hell do I know! Do you honestly believe I have nothing better to do than to count how many times a day I pack my goddam pipe?”

I realize that there are many perfectly sane people on this forum who keep track of their pipe smoking on a daily or even weekly basis. I have to say that I just don’t get it. I’ve been a pipe smoker for over 50 years and can honestly say that the idea of bowl counting has never really occurred to me.

Comments

• @Topaz75 It's much easier for me to count how many bowls I have in the Winter because I don't smoke in the house until my wife goes to bed. Which usually allows me enough time for one bowl. If there is a break in the weather and it's comfortable enough to enjoy a bowl in the cold I'll do so ... then the number is two. Summer, Spring, and Fall the amount can vary significantly since I can smoke outside or in the garage ... but even then I'd estimate I'll have no more than three bowls. When I smoke outdoors I'm usually simply communing with nature and watching the wildlife while daydreaming. An hour of sitting, smoking, and doing nothing is more than enough. To continue that routine three or four times a day would lead to a very boring lifestyle. At least in the evening when I'm smoking and my wife is sleeping I can watch the TV and be somewhat entertained while smoking. But three hours of daydreaming in order to smoke three bowls would be a waste of what precious time I have left to me.  An hour of de-cluttering your mind seems time enough for a normal person to decompress. Years ago when I was either writing short stories, articles, or music reviews, or recording music in the studio I would smoke. But once my wife developed a respiratory condition and we both shared the same small room which housed my music studio as well as where we had the computer, I had to stop smoking in that room. So from that point on smoking became a recreational event and no longer a part of my thinking or inspirational process. I now associate pipe smoking with relaxation and not a triggering mechanism to activate my brain to aid in creativity.
  • I smoke 1 to 3 times a day, I don't change pipes for each bowl.
  • Most days I smoke 1 to 3 bowls a day also. During pipe club meetings, I smoke maybe 5 or 6 partial bowls.
  • I smoke in my house and in my local brick and mortar shop's lounge.  On average, I smoke from two to ?? a day as I really don't count.  It is easier to count how many cigars I smoke (1 to 2) rather than the number of pipe bowls. 
  • LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I gave up counting bowls per day since it changes according to my mood.Lately
    I've been lucky to get one bowl in in a week.On the other hand my coffee is
    starting to taste right again,and I no longer drink half a bottle of NyQuill
    to get to sleep.
  • 1 to 2 per day avaerge. Varies. Day before yesterday it was 4...
  • I thought the title of this thread was a typo, and I was all geared up to go on a rant about bowl coatings........
  • It depends on the day of the week and ability to smoke.  I'm on my fourth bowl today, and may have one more.  I'm also hitting my B&M for a cigar later.  Some days I don't smoke at all, usually 1-2 days per week.  The remaining days my smoking varies from 1-5 bowls.
  • As many as I can...
  • I don't count bowls and that is that.  I know some days are more than others. I could estimate but why would I want to do that?  I was talking to a friend the other day and I said, "Bud, you are OCD." His reply, "If I had a penny for every time someone said that to me, I would have 5,623 pennies."  
  • qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    1,2,3 ....the world may never know....😁
    Q
  • Realistically the only time it matters is when you've smoked too many and your mouth and sinuses are paying the price