Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Bacon Old Fashioned review

Upon opening the jar and sticking my nose over it, I smell cheap whiskey. Actually what I get is that smell of a whiskey on the rocks that didn't get finished and sat on the table overnight. It's recognizable as containing whiskey but that's about it. After loading it into a pipe and testing the draw, I do get a whiskey taste that is better than the aroma though, so that's something.

As for smoking it, I have tried it in a new clay pipe, a meerschaum, a briar and a cob. By far the tobacco was best in the clay and the cob. It was good in the meerschaum. With the briar, which is also relatively new and I've just broken in, the tobacco was lacking in flavor. To be honest though I've only smoked 6 bowls of Bacon Old Fashioned and feel I am still trying to determine what I'm smoking. I have decided that it will probably be one I only smoke in the cobs though.

Bacon? Where? 
I was given a jar of Briarworks Bacon Old Fashioned for a Father's Day gift and that was my thought when I opened the jar. I just didn't smell the bacon. I did smell the whiskey. Actually what I got was that smell of a whiskey on the rocks that didn't get finished and sat on the table overnight. It's recognizable as containing whiskey but that's about it. Those are the negatives I found to this tobacco.

As for smoking it. I have had it in a new clay pipe, a meerschaum, two different briars and a cob. By far the tobacco was best in the clay and the cob. It was also good in the meerschaum but I find myself liking it more in the clay and cob. I like the smokiness of it and after 7 or 8 bowls I woke up and said, "That sweet smokiness must be the bacon everyone is talking about!" Let me say neither the whiskey nor the smokiness overtook the flavor of the tobacco, instead they just accented it enough to make an enjoyable smoke. There was also a citrus note I detected while smoking it that added to the room note and kept it from being too woodsy.

I'm down to about an ounce left in the jar and I have forced myself to seal it and place out of sight in my cellar so I can revisit it in a month or two.

Comments