Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Which tobacco to grow?

I want to experiment with growing tobacco in my back yard. I've got a great space next to my vegetable garden that has room for about 8 stalks. I know next to nothing about growing tobacco, but a fair amount about organic gardening.

Any suggestions as to which tobaccos I should grow? There are 2 sites I've seen that sell tobacco seeds, http://sustainableseedco.comhttp://www.seedman.com .  I'd say I'd like to grow 2 - 3 different types. Right now I'm leaning towards getting seeds for the following, but I have no idea what these would taste/smell like. In short, I'm guessing.

4x Ohio Dutch - as a base
2x Indian Black
2x Japan 8

Then, once harvested, play around with the curing methods. This just sounds interesting and fun for a pipe smoking amateur gardener.

Comments

• Options
    @jdk5hh Good luck with the tobacco. Sounds like you already have something of a green thumb since you have a vegetable garden. My experience at trying to grow something has usually proven to be disastrous. The one time I did get a nice batch of tomatoes growing on my upside-down planter (as advertised on TV) we ended up getting a strong summer storm with 50 to 75 mph straight line winds that ended up snapping my plant in half and scattering bits and pieces of the plant as well as the ripe and green tomatoes throughout the backyard. There's way too much shade where I live to get veggies to grow properly ... to damn many oak trees. Keep us abreast of your progress. I'd be curious to see how things play out. 
  • Options
    jdk5hhjdk5hh Apprentice
    Oh man, sorry about the tomatoes. Worst I had was a homeless guy sneaking in and taking my vegetables because he was hungry. Kinda hard to get mad at a guy who has to steal vegetables off the vine in order to eat.
    The big guy upstairs had me growing food for a reason that season I guess. We have since moved to the suburbs in another state, so I'm hoping I won't have any more theivery happening.
    Going to do some more reading and try to get some suggestions on which tobaccos to grow.