Home The Lounge
Options

Thoughts on Meerschaum lined Pipes

I just inherited a some estate pipes, and in the mix is 4 Meerschaum lined pipes. Most of my collections is briar, i have one Meerschaum pipe but nothing that was a hybrid. I am looking for thoughts on this concept.

Comments

• Options
    I actually like the nostalgia of meerschaum lined pipes, similar to my affinity for leather clads. Like any meer, it won't absorb moisture, but by the same token, it won't need any drying time either. Plus, if you happen to drop your pipe down a stairwell, your chances of recovering your meer unbroken are a little higher.
  • Options
    I've got mixed feeling about Meerschaum lined pipes only because the one I had proved to be a disappointment. The lining inside cracked and pieces began breaking loose so I eventually had to ream out what was left of the Meerschaum lining. But by doing this the draft hole was no longer in the right place because it was made for the lining - and now the hole was up much higher. The tobacco would only burn so far in the bowl with about a third wasted. And it never really smoked very well afterwards so I ended up tossing it. That was before I learned about pipe mud.  
  • Options
    I like the ones I have, one had a piece of meer missing that I repaired with ash and honey baked in by smoking it.
  • Options
    I have one - a Hilson Fantasia that I bought in the '70s. It smokes well, but it's to heavy to clench comfortably for any length of time.
  • Options
    Wish I had been here when Meerschaum first started chipping out then I would have simply repaired it rather than dig out all the Meerschaum and completely ruin the pipe.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Have you ever performed a honey / tobacco ash mix? Do a search on your problem and you'll find instructions. I have had to to this process to 3 pipes. They had very high air draft holes due to miscalculated drillings. If you haven't already thrown your pipe away, give it a shot. Worked for me... 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ Unfortunately that pipe is long gone. I tossed it well before I discovered the joys of the YouTube Pipe Community and forums like The Pipeline. I've learned so much in the past two years it's amazing, considering I've been smoking for going on 50 years. Back then I never even considered the possibility of refurbishing a pipe. And something like you're suggesting wouldn't have even been on my radar back then. Now that I've learned about the technique you've described as well as pipe mud I'll never throw a Meerschaum lined pipe away again unless the entire bowl is cracked.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii I totally agree. Go check out my latest refurb at pipe refinishing. I just completed another mismatch stem/stummel project...