Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Orientals - specifically McClelland Grand Orientals vs. VA's

So... have been intrigued by what I've read of the Grand Oriental series, but am decidedly not currently a fan of straight VA of any sort. This possible similarity an assumption on my part, of course. I guess my question is are orientals different enough from straight VA that I might enjoy them? I have absolutely zero frame of reference here. Looking specifically at Classic Samsun. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    @baconjacket, from what I've read/heard, orientals are spicier than virginias.  Maybe a more peppery note to them, but not as much as perique.
  • Options
    Turkish & Oriental Tobaccos: Typically a sun-cured tobacco mainly grown in Turkey and Greece. When harvesting, the leaves are put on a string by hand and dried in the sun. Due to the hot, dry climate the leaves contain a high level of aromatic oils and the color varies from green to light golden and dark orange. The leaves vary in size from 2-15 cm which is very small compared to leaves from Virginia and Burley. This highly-aromatic tobacco has more flavor than Virginia or Burley, but lower nicotine content.
  • Options

On my palate, Orientals provide a somewhat sour note, which I enjoy for a change of pace. They definitely do not compare anywhere near straight Virginias IMO.

In fact, I find the Grand Orientals line to fall somewhere in the semi aromatic category, due to the effects that it has on my mouth and tongue. Having said that, I do love me some Drama Reserve in my Moretti Olivewood.

• Options
    [Duplicate Post] From Russ Ouellette:

Orientals or Turkish - This is actually a rather broad category of different tobaccos. Among these tobaccos are ones named Yenidje, Basma, Dubeck, Bashi Bagli, Smyrna, Xanthia along with many others. They are typically high in sugar, and rather fragrant. They are very important in English, Balkan and (of course) Oriental blends. They are also highly prized for enriching cigarette blends. 

• Options
    I do love the spicyness of orientals and that sour note but as far it being on its own not so much Blended with a good aged Virginia with a hint of toasted cavendish is how I like them.
  • Options
    So all of the Grand Oriental series are oriental/VA blends, right? From what I've gathered reading the usual sources, the Classic Samsun is the one where the oriental takes the back seat to the VA the least. Maybe this is a good place to start. I'm wondering if the VA will turn me off of the series altogether. Suppose I'll have to just jump in somewhere...
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited December 2017
    Here is a link to a video on oriental tobaccos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHL8ik3rsVE
  • Options
    Thanks all, for the info and sources. I'm going to give the Samsun a try. Part of me hopes I don't like it... maybe (not really). My cellar size to smoking frequency ratio is WAY off kilter, and I've no one to bequeath tobacco to. Well, there's the cats, but they're way to finicky. 
  • Options
    The Orientals are grown in poor soil in arid conditions, most are used to spice up a blend.