Home The Lounge
Options

New in The Lounge: HOW TO MANAGE A TOBACCO CELLAR

Wine, cheese, and steak are all things that get better with age. But did you know that tobacco is something you can add to your cellar as well? Historically, tobacco connoisseurs are the only ones who cellar tobacco, but the benefits are significant enough that even novice smokers should consider taking up the practice.

https://thispipelife.com/tpl-article/38/

Comments

• Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd - Great article!  Thanks for posting this!
  • Options
    TPL should hire some of the members to write for them. Or at least reprint their blogs.
  • Options
    Yes, and especially @PappyJoe's newer blog...... an indispensable resource.   http://pappyjoesblog.com/

The old one is at    https://macpappysworld.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    The latest P&C catalog has a full page of nine different blends intended for long term cellering

But "ten" to "fifteen" years? I fully expect to be dead in ten to fifteen years.
  • Options
    @motie2 Now you're starting to sound like me.
  • Options
    @motie2The rule is simple:  If you buy tobacco that you know is going to last ten or fifteen years, it is therefore your responsibility to stay alive long enough to smoke it.  Waste not want not. 
  • Options
    Had a bowl of W.Ø. Larsen Old Fashioned from the previous style tin, so maybe (2010ish?) in a estate Nørding Freehand I bought from someone in the YTPC.  
  • Options
    Go4BrokeGo4Broke Enthusiast
    The article mentioned a couple of apps and websites for tracking/managing your cellar.  I checked out some of the websites, but without actually signing in and starting to populate them with my inventory it's difficult to figure out which would work best.  Just curious, anybody have a preference for a particular site or app, or is it just a matter of jumping in and seeing what works for you?
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @Go4Broke I like The Pipe Tool for something that is newer and still receiving updates. I have also used an old Itunes app but since stopped using it because it no longer gets updated or any maintenance. Can't remember the name of it I did like it when I first started. I have noticed a new app called pipe notebook but I have not tried that yet.
  • Options
    I've tried doing a spread sheet and have tried two of the apps for tracking my cellar including The Pipe Tool. 
    After a month or two, I realized it was just not something I was interested in doing and I'm not OCD enough to jump online and constantly update the app for it to be effective. 
    I'm more of the type to buy 2 tins at a time, open one and throw it into the wooden chest I use for a cellar kind of guy. The plus side is when I decide to open a new tin I can dig through the box and find a treasure.
  • Options
    Go4BrokeGo4Broke Enthusiast

@piperdave Thanks for the input.  I'll probably check out The Pipe Tool over the weekend.  Unfortunately, most my devices are iOS, so I'm limited in my availability to tobacco related apps.  @PappyJoe I completely get your point.  However, as an engineer... I am exactly OCD enough to want to jump online and constantly update an app.  In fact, I put together a spreadsheet to help me populate the app/website!  It's an affliction I've learned to deal with.  Hope you both have a great Christmas!

• Options
    I am happy with my tobacco consumption level now. I suspect that my present stash will last at least another 60 years. 
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @Go4Broke
    I know the app I used to use from itunes was called just Pipe Tool but it is no longer supported but worked great. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. All the best.
  • Options
    I will have to check out some of these apps. How do you store your opened tin or bulk tobacco? I've been using mason jars and writing on the lids. I wouldn't mind an upgrade in the storage and presentation.
  • Options
    @JLehman5290-- The Mason jar and label system seems to work for most of us.  Best vessel to store tobacco in is glass.  And if you have a tight seal and store your tobacco in a dark and temperature controlled environment, you will not have a problem.
    If you open a tin and it does not have a good seal, transfer the contents to an appropriate size jar. 
  • Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    I don't have a cellar but I do have a wine cooler for tobacco storage.in the Mason jar, what would be the right temperature 
  • Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    edited January 2018
    I bought a really nice vintage dresser for $60 it has 9 drawers. I have my pipe rack sitting on top. My celler is in the drawers. The opened tins are in the pipe rack. According to the pipe tool, I will run out of 5+ pounds before the year is over. :smiley:
  • Options
    I use an old unplugged freezer that has been in my basement since the 1960s.  I seems to be an excellent storage unit for tins and jars of tobacco with both the large internal shelves and the door shelves.  The door even has a built-in key type lock so I can lock it if I need to, should I have any house guests. 
  • Options
    I'm smoking my way through my Cellar without making many additions. I'm 76 so I don't see any need for 10 years more on top of what I have.
  • Options
    DSturg369DSturg369 Master
    edited June 2023
    I figure that whatever I have left of the collection when I leave this earth will make someone a decent, instant hobby / new lifestyle... So, I keep adding to it.
  • Options
    I keep my cellar status on an Excel spreadsheet that I update maybe twice a month or when I buy some new tobacco or if I open or finish off a blend. 
    That gives me approximately 13 lbs of tobacco.

• Options
    I too use a spreadsheet, but so far, only for blend names.  I did not put in amounts.  I don’t really cellar tobacco so much as just buy a bunch of different kinds, open them up, stuff them in mason jars, and smoke them when I feel like it.  Trying to keep track of the actual amount in the each jar would be a PIA.  I have a few duplicate tins of some of my favorites that I have not popped, along with about 6-8 tins of the newest release of the C&D “Carolina Red Flake” that I actually bought extra in case some compadres missed out.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    My humbler stash. Nothing aging here but the Balkan Sasieni, which is dated 7/17/15, a gift from a pipe brother.

• Options

https://pipe-club.com/tobacco_aging_faq/eng/aging.php

and

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/cellaring-tobacco-the-dos-and-donts/

and

https://cellarlabels.com/getting-started-a-brief-overview/

and

https://www.cornellanddiehl.com/pipe-smoking-basics.cfm

Tobacco Storage and Cellaring

Almost all straight-from-the-blender tobaccos with a reasonable amount of natural sugar, both tinned and bulk, will benefit from aging. Some blends, however, will age better than others, with the primary factor being the presence and percentage of Virginias (the most naturally sweet of tobaccos) in the mixture. A secondary, but still important, consideration is the attendance of Orientals. Though lower in sugar than Virginias, many Oriental varieties still contain enough sweetness to carry them through the fermentation process, plus bring an added bonus of higher complexity to the blend.

Once the right leafs are blended and placed in tin, the first of two initial aging mechanisms begin. 1. Tobaccos begin to interact/meld with each other ('marry' is a term that you will frequently run across), and the speed of the interaction is even greater with a flake, whose melding received a kick-start from a press. 2. The first fermentation stage, an aerobic process involving friendly microbes, begins. As the bacteria involved in "2" run out of air, your treasure-in-process moves into the second (and final), stage of fermentation; anaerobic, a state of slower aging that will continue until you open the tin.

The precise amount of time that it will take for your tinned, cellared leaf to enter anaerobic fermentation depends on a myriad of factors: composition of the blend, the amount of time between harvest and tin, the number of microbes in that initial 2/8oz tin, storage temperatures (both actual temp, as well as fluctuation), to name a few. Even then, there is precious little 'precision' in the guess. Depending on the time your mixture was tinned and when you purchased it, it's quite possible that your investment is already in the anaerobic state.

So, what happens during aging? While both stages contain processes that will work concurrently, as well as mechanisms which can only happen in sequence, the changes in the aerobic stage, and subsequent beginnings of the anaerobic leg, are the fastest. With an aging friendly blend, as the reactions and fermentation in the latter stage progress, a greater sweetness and complexity appears. In as little as 1-2 years, your smoke will likely show remarkable improvement over 'just tinned', and will positively shine at 5 years (sugar crystals!). After that (again, with the right tobacco) improvement will continue, but at a much slower pace. With an all Virginia blend, its pinnacle, much like a first growth Bordeaux of great vintage, could be decades. With a well-made English, the peak is likely be in the mid-to-late teens, with a gradual decline noticeable after a couple of decades.

Unlike cellaring wine, proper tobacco storage doesn't require a major investment in equipment, it simply needs a space to rest, preferably one where it won't be subjected to higher temperatures than you can comfortably handle, long term. No need for vintage charts, though there are some pretty dandy wine storage software programs out there, which have been modified by tobacco aficionados, for tracking tin count and age. Collecting is a snap; start by buying an extra tin or two along with your normal purchase. Given time, you can start smoking that older, delicious leaf, and rotating your new purchases to the back.

As a parting thought: one thing to keep in mind is that, unlike the above mentioned Bordeaux, popping a tin at two, five, or seven years isn't 'infanticide', you are still smoking something all the finer for your patience. Simply understand that once you pop that lid, you should either smoke it, or preserve it. Yes, one can 'reboot' a tobacco back into an aging state and it will continue to change, but you might not enjoy that change.

• Options
    @motie2;
    Great info. Thanks.