Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Captain Black Sea vs sir Walter Raleigh

Those that have smoked captain blacks Black Sea and sir Walter Raleigh aromatic which do you prefer I just tried Black Sea and I am thinking I do not care for Latakia am I alone on this 

Comments

• Options
    One either likes Latakia (I used to in my first pipe life, mid 1960's to mid-1980's), or one does not (that's me, today).

The same calculus applies to Perique.
  • Options
    Like anything else, one has to be in the mood to smoke English or aromatic tobacco.  Latakia, like peaty scotch, is an acquired taste and is not for everyone.  I personally like Latakia and smoke mostly Dunhill blends like their London Mixture and have from time to time mixed additional Latakia into the blend.  I like to pair with a dram of Ardbeg scotch as both have that peaty, smokiness that seem to complement each other. 

I have smoked both Captain Black's Black Sea and Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic.  In fact, Sir Walter Raleigh is my number two OTC go to when I rotate from Prince Albert.  Captain Black's Black Sea is a nice smoke but not my "go to" tobacco choice for Latakia.  Actually, I would prefer John Bull pipe tobacco to Captain Black's Black Sea as it has a deeper English aroma and taste.
  • Options
    @Russell I'm not a big Latakia fan either, but when I have smoked it the only blend I like is Black Sea because it's not nearly as strong as most English Latakia blends. It's not Latakia heavy. Since you're a relative newcomer and discovering what blends are available to the pipe smoker, this may have been your first lesson on whether or not you prefer English to aromatics. I've been smoking for 50 years and I thought I would have graduated from aromatics to English by now but I realized I'm perfectly content to remain at the kids table and smoke aromatics. Both @Motie2 and I have agreed that we're not particularly crazy about the taste of tobacco but love the sweetly flavored cased aromatic tobaccos. I've once commented that were it possible to crumble up a doughnut, hunk of angle food cake, a pancake doused with maple syrup, or a chocolate brownie and load it in my pipe then I'd do it and forgo any tobacco - but that's not the way it works. So I try and find a blend that captures those flavors. Pipe smoking is different for everyone, so your distaste for the Latakia in Black Sea isn't anything to worry about. And if you do enjoy the taste of a good tobacco there are so many other choices including non-aromatic Virginia Perique and Burley blends can might satisfy that craving.         
  • Options
    As usual, @ghostsofpompeii is right on target. VaPers (Virginia based Perique blends) are a whole 'nother thing. It seems the pipe tobacco world is divided into three general categories: English/Latakia/Oriental blends (let's just say, "English blends"), VaPers, and Aromatics, and there is an exceedingly wide spectrum of flavors within each category. From my first pipe life, let me recommend two VaPers: Escudo and Dunhill Elizabethan. 

Burley forward blends are too he-man for me, so I got nothin' to say.
  • Options
    I would choose Sir Walter, not being a Latakia fan.
  • Options
    Remember, there are actually two SWR blends, an aromatic and a non-aromatic.
  • Options
    @motie2 For me, both SWR aromatic and a non-aromatic blends are great smokes.  I found the non-aromatic blend to have a pleasant room note and have received positive comments whenever I smoke it. 
  • Options
    @Russell Before giving up on the Captain Black premium edition tins I'd suggest you try "Midnight Gold". It's more in keeping with the aromatic Captain Black blends you're probably more accustom to smoking ... and no Latakia. It's a very nice blend and I tend to agree that it's a cut above their usual packaged blends.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii I do want to try the midnight gold I haven't given up all hope yet