Home General

Doctor and Pipe Smoking

This afternoon I had to go to my local Veterans Outpatient Clinic for a regular and routine doctors 'check under the hood" appointment. During her review of my history and past visits, she once again asked if I smoked. She smiled probably remembering a past conversation that we had. I told her I smoked my pipes, which of course led to a discussion.

I had to explain to her that I do not inhale the smoke which she seemed surprised to hear that, in fact I got the impression from her reaction that she did not know that most do not inhale the smoke of a pipe or a cigar.

Of course she smiled as she collected her thoughts, and came back at me suggesting that it is still no good for me. I explained it was good as it relaxed me, allowed me to be contemplative while doing so, and quite frankly allowed me to avoid strangling folks at times.

So the debate continues relative to physicians' attitudes toward pipe, and to a lesser degree cigar smoking (which also was unknown to her relative to not inhaling).

Comments

• Amazing.  I'd like to see recent data on risks associated with pipe smoking, if anyone has a reference.  I know there was data published 40 years ago, but is there anything within the last 10 years or so? Maybe an update?
  • My primary and I have exactly the same discussion vis a vis smoking every year during my annual physical.  It invariably goes like this:

Doctor: Are you still smoking?
    Me: Yes, I smoke a pipe.
    Doctor: Have you ever thought about      quitting?
    Me: No.

End of discussion.

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited December 2017
    It's a losing topic. I just don't even mention it. I don't do it often enough anyhow. What like two or three times a week? Sometimes I go weeks without. They never ask me if I drink bourbon. I love bourbon and yes I drink it on Friday and sometimes Saturdays. Big deal. 
  • Conversation with my doctor:
    Doctor: Are you still smoking?
    Me: Yes, I smoke a pipe and cigars.
    Doctor: I enjoy a pipe every now and then.  What is your favorite tobacco?
    Me: Prince Albert and Dunhill Early Morning Blend.
    Doctor:  I smoke Prince Albert sometimes.  Remember it well. 

End of discussion.

My doctor has no problem with cigar or pipe smoking so long as neither one is inhaled which clearly, he can see from the periodic X-ray review. Cigarettes are a different issue but I have not smoked a cigarette since 2002.  Being the smart-ass that I am, I felt the need to disclose the fact that more doctors smoked Camel cigarettes than any other brand.  "Your T-zone will tell you!"

• Since I have Type II Diabetes, I see my doctor twice a year for check-ups and have full blood work done each time. I've been seeing him or his nurse practitioner since 1997. The only one who has a problem with my pipe or cigar smoking is the nurse who does my blood pressure and ask all the usual questions. She insists that I am a "Light smoker." (even though I've often told her I've never smoked a light.) My doctor asked once and when I told him I only smoke a pipe or cigars, he said ok and moved on to the next question.

One of our sons is married to a doctor and she knows he smokes pipes and an occasional cigar. She hasn't told him he had to stop either. 
  • Unfortunately insurance companies don't differentiate between cigarette smoking and pipes and cigars. To them it's all the same. Either you're a smoker or non-smoker and you're lumped into the same category-  and your insurance rates reflects that. And whoa to the person who falsifies the information listed on the policy by filling in the blank as a 'non-smoker'. If it's discovered you're a pipe smoker and later contract some disease or ailment associated with smoking ... even if that link is cigarette smoking ... then you might find yourself footing your own medical bills while at the same time tangled up in a legal mess of insurance fraud. Don't think I've ever filled out an insurance form where I was asked if I ate potato chips and Twinkies on a regular basis.      
  •  @KA9FFJ, wow...I want that for my manspace.
  • @ghostsofpompeii, I completely agree. So, since it's an argument we can't win and we are not inhaling, what's the point in bringing it up in the first place? Fagettabout it.
  • A few years back, my GP asked if I smoke. I replied no. We haven't discussed it since then.

Nowdays, I don't worry about my insurance company finding out that I smoke. As soon as Obamacare went into effect, the insurance I was offered by my employer doesn't pay for anything, until I accumulate a $2500.00 deductible. In addition, my monthly premiums increased to $260.00 a month. The end result, is that I decided they can take their insurance policy, and stick it where the sun don't shine. Whatever I need,  I just pay for in cash.

The neat thing about my GP, is that he has a sign up on the wall, that states, "If you have blood work done, and we don't call you, that means we didn't find anything. That is convenient for them, but I still have the symptoms which I came in to see you about. Here, let me come in for another appointment, so you can schedule an MRI, that won't find anything either, until they find something that leaves me with 6 weeks to live.

Clearly, if I reach a point where I am too sick to work, as soon as my paycheck's stop hitting the bank, I won't have any insurance anyway.

Such an intelligent strategy, to put the taxpayer 6 feet under, so they can't pay any more taxes. I suppose the government figures things will even out, when they won't need to pay the guy any Social Security, which they are trying to figure out a way to eliminate anyway.

I wonder if my GP would mind if I pour myself another double Ardbeg 10?

• @xDutchx, the government sucks, insurance companies suck more...don't get me started!...
  • @xDutchx

I am on Medicare, and I have some VA health benefits as well. Trying to figure out the system is like trying to learn astrophysics. Absolutely NOTHING makes sense. As you get into these issues, you do find they are not designed to assist the average person.
  • @Londy3 I'll try to take a better head-on pic with better light and post it again in hopes you can print it out and frame it under glass for your man cave...

• Here you go @Londy3 I think the resolution will be high enough for a good download pic to use for your man cave...
  • @KA9FFJ, yay! Thanks much!!  B) 
  • @pwkarch The combo of Medicare and VA bennies may work to your advantage. If you're too far from the VA Med Center the VA may convert their coverage to an additional health coverage NJ has a separate State VA depoatment that may help. Let me know if you want me to get the info for you.
  • Read BEFORE Posting.
  • @Woodsman

Thanks for the heads up.....I looked into this but I am only 6 or so miles from a local Outpatient Clinic. 
    Thank you for your interest however.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong @ghostsofpompeii, but it is my understanding the under Obama-care a smoker is defined as smoking more than 4 times a week or something. That alone eliminates most of us. I mentioned it to my doctor and he was only worried about it progressing into a more regular habit but agreed that my risks were very low at 3-4 times per week.
  • Correction: 3-4 times per month.
  • edited December 2017
    If I only smoked three to four times per month I wouldn't even feel inclined to mention it. Probably wouldn't even call myself a pipe smoker. And sure wouldn't worry about things we discuss here like cellaring tobacco. A 1.5 ounce tin would probably last a year if you only smoke three or four times a month. Or if not one tin - then maybe three.