Home Pipes & Tools
Options

1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB

BonanzadriverBonanzadriver Master
edited November 2017 in Pipes & Tools
As most of you out there know by now, I'm an admitted Bent Bulldog Fan.  Ok, ok, borderline Bentbulldogaholic.  :)

As is often the case, I found myself surfin theinterweb last week and wound up on etsy and ebay.  I found what was listed as a vintage Dunhill Estate Pipe.

After going back and forth on the offer / counter offer game I inadvertently "accepted" vs countering the second counter offer from the seller (damned fat fingers)

Although I felt as if I could have whittled him down another $20 or $30 I was ok with what I paid.

The pictures showed it being a pretty grunged up pipe with a rough bit.  When It arrived I was generally pleased with the shape and style of the pipe but wow was it grungy.  And the bit was awful.

After hours of reaming the bowl I went to work on the stem with files, micromesh, buffing compound and finally carnuba wax.

After getting the stummel cleaned up I realized that what I originally thought was a 60's or 70's pipe turned out to be a 1952!

* UPDATE !  *

After a courteous conversation with a fellow piper last night, I learned that I had inadvertently "mis-dated" my Briar.

It is missing the requisite Patent Numbers that would indicate that it is a 1952.

Turns out it is a 1962

Sorry bout the confusion on my part

*  UPDATE  !  *

I finally finished it up last night.

Before anyone gets their hopes up too high, I want to disclose that this is not a Museum quality briar.  It was thoroughly used and was not treated as well as you or I might have.

In the end I'm happy with the way it turned out and am lookin forward to many years of piping pleasure.

Here's some befores....

And some afters...

Comments

• Options
    REally nice job, I wouldn't have thought the stem was repairable. Great looker.
  • Options
    Dino, if sales get slow, you can always supplement your income restoring pipes! You did a fantastic job bringing that baby back to life, and increased it's value exponentially.
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver Super job! Did you use heat on the stem to help raise the teeth indents back to original?
  • Options
    Thanks all.

ka9ffj, I did not heat the stem.  I had not even heard of doing this until tonight.  Had only ever seen it done on the briar itself to raise the grain on dents.

I filed it on both the top and underside, micromeshed the file marks, buffed it with compound on the variable speed jewelry polisher I have and then waxed it with carnuba, on the polisher.
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver, holy WOW! This is an awesome referb job! Enjoy that for years to come. Great job.
  • Options
    Beautiful, great job.
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver, excellent job!  That must have taken a lot of work.
  • Options
    *  UPDATE ON THE ER, UHMMMM,     DATE !   *

Welp Pipe Fans, it turns out that although I may have developed an ability of refurbin these beautiful ol briars, I am quite inept at dating them.  :(

I had missed the line, while reading the dating guide, about Dunnies having patent numbers up through 1955 or so.

So, this means that my lil Bent Bulldog is actually a 1962.

Sorry to have mislead anyone here.

It doesn't diminish my love of the pipe, the style or the brand.  (just my faith in myself for reading comprehension)
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver -- an exceptional rehabilitation!!!!! Well done.....
  • Options
    Thanks Motie. 

Definitely a fulfilling endeavor.
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver Beautiful birds-eye pattern that you brought back to life. And that stem work is amazing. It's much more satisfying bringing an old pipe back to life than purchasing a new one when the results look like this. Whatever interesting history may be behind the pipe and it's previous owner has extended now that you've revitalized it, adding even more years to the pipe's backstory. When I bought my Custom-Bilt Bull Moose dated somewhere between 1938 and 1946 I couldn't help but wonder how many different owners that pipe has had over the years, and what tales the pipe might tell. Was the owner a World traveler, a military man who has seen one or more military conflict, was the person a writer, artist, farmer, priest, infamous bootlegger, or old steelworker like myself? Did the original owner pass the pipe on to his son ... grandson? Was he a happy family man surrounded by children or a confirmed bachelor? A sociable gent with the gift of gab and amusing stories to tell or an old curmudgeon who lived his life in solitude? So many possibilities. And now you've become a part of that ongoing story.      
  • Options
    I've always enjoyed your perspective on things ghost.

I have a good friend that has a saying... "Everyone Has a Story"

My take on it is...   "Every Pipe Has a Story"

Happy Thanksgiving bud
  • Options
    I love bent bulldogs as well. You did a wonderful job on this beauty!!
  • Options
    Thanks Watch.

After admiring my handiwork, I know a little self congratulatory of me huh?, I got to noticing how neglected my other briars were a lookin.  Finishes dull, stems hazy, etc... I decided to get out the stem polish and get em all spiffed up.  And of course a little elbow grease on some of the stummels as well.

Now the entire stable is standin tall and ready for some tobacco goodness.  :)