Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Ghost Blends

What blends ghost your pipes?

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    VaPer is the blend that I have the biggest ghosting problem.  I now have a nice meerschaum I have to dedicate to VaPer blends because the last VaPer blend left a string ghost in it.  I also have a pipe I dedicate to English blends as the Lat has ghosted but I enjoy it so I don't mind it at all.
  • Options
    Whenever I purchase a new blend, I'll check tobaccoreviews.com specifically for mentions of ghosting. I have a few blends that are infamous for it, such as Ennerdale and Erinmore, and I'll devote those blends to one pipe each.
  • Options
    The only two that have ghosted mine are Sutliff Pina Colada and Sutliff Frosty Mint. The mint is VERY strong and ghosts like crazy. 

• Options
    OMG I forgot about Frosty Mint.  I have a cob solely dedicated and stored with it.  That is probably the worst I have ever had ghost wise.
  • Options
    @drac2485, yeah it's pretty bad. I try mixing it with some chocolate blends and it's pretty good. 
  • Options
    I keep a lat rotation, a Virginia/burley rotation, and one pipe for the sole aro I smoke now and then. I don't smoke Va/pers, so I don't have that issue.
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor I will have to try that as right now the frosty mint I have is so potent I can't smoke it.
  • Options
    I always take a cotton Q-tip and swab around the inside of the bowl immediately after emptying it.
    It's usually pretty black ( and ugly ) and picks up all the tar and residual from the smoke. By doing this
    there is little or no pipe smell left and I'm never bothered with ghosting carryover. 
  • Options
    Ghost? I ain't afraid of no ghost! But then again, I smoke a lot of blends containing latakia and perique and they seem to tame anything else that's trying to ghost my pipes.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I got to sample Samuel Gawith - Black XX Twist (Rope) once...and that is all I needed; thank goodness it was a cob. I regret to say that cob is no longer smoked nor in my collection. The vitamin 'N' that stuff has is beyond measure (for me), I didn't get through the bowl nor was the pipe ever the same.
  • Options
    @drac2485, yeah I have to mix it. It is horrible to try and smoke by itself. It is wayyyyy too over powering.
  • Options
    In most cases as long as the blend is something I normally enjoy smoking I'm not too concerned by ghosting. Sometimes it can be quite enjoyable as it adds another dimension to the flavor profile of the blend you're smoking. Kind of like stacking blends. And since I clean the bowls regularly the only problematic ghosting issues I've experienced come from Estate pipes purchased at antique store or resale shops. Now I can see where it would be an issue if you're primarily an aromatic smoker and you get a strong Latakia ghost in one of your pipes - or as some have mentioned the heavy menthol ghost from Frost Mint might detract from a Maple, fruity aromatic blend, or a VaPer. But on the whole as an aromatic smoker, a trace of my last bowl usually doesn't detract from what I'm smoking. The one blend that occasionally ghosts my pipe which I can't tolerate is Sutliff Blend 79. That floral ghost can spoil what-ever I pack in the next bowl.