Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Carter Hall

With all of the wonderful tobaccos we have available to us these days, I STILL smoke my Carter Hall with the same enthusiasm as I have had for this blend for all these years now.

What is not to like, a great recipe of Burley and Virginia with a very distinct Cocoa and Nutty notes (if you just look for them). Just an unassuming inexpensive joy to smoke. There is no pretenses while filling your pipe. I have always smoked this as a change of pace, for a reminisent experience, and for the last year or so have had some wonderful results of mixing varying amounts with some of my favorite more "modern" aromatics.

So I took out my Kaywoodie Billiard pipe and packed a bowl just to reconnect with the past, look at it critically, and as it turns out to thoroughly enjoy three quarters of an hour.

The tobacco has been in a quart Mason Jar for awhile. The aroma from the jar is pure tobacco with only a hint of any other flavor. The loading of the pipe is simple and not involved due to the cut of the tobacco. The tobacco was in my opinion perfect in terms of moisture with just a minor spring to it after the fill. I fired up the tobacco and immediately had a wreath of smoke that promised full flavor. Initially there is only a suggestion of cocoa or nuttiness as the bowl develops.

The first half is very good and begins to develop a nice mellow taste and aroma. I started to taste the advertised (and remembered) cocoa and nutty notes. The smoke had a heaviness to it that felt as if you could actually chew it. This is one tobacco with which the taste and smoke aroma are damn near identical. There is no doubt that if this tobacco was pushed, there would be bite issues. I am and have always been a slow smoker, and sipping this tobacco will provide a complaint free exercise.

The second half was identical to the first with perhaps an increase in the mellowness and flavor.(I can't really define that term, except to say the flavors seemed to came together as one as opposed to having individual tastes
Likewise the second half of the bowl had absolutely no bite whatsoever. Upon completion, and after the pipe cooled down there was only pure whitish gray ash left to dump. There was no doddle or moisture with which to clean.

This tobacco could be one of the best to recommend to a newbie because it in my opinion has very base flavors, and can teach from the "get go" the need and the method of careful and the slow cadence of pipe smoking.

It was fun smoking one of my "old time" favorites to do a real analysis as opposed to just burning a bowl, one with no real "whistles and horns" that took me back. And with all of the aromatics that I have, I also have several pounds of Carter Hall. And quite honestly, if EVERY aromatic was taken off the market (PLEASE do not call or send nasty messages, I am just kidding) I would be perfectly happy to smoke just Carter Hall.

Comments