Home The Lounge
Options

Happy vs Rat Race

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Londy3 Puts things in perspective doesn't it?
  • Options
    @Londy3 Hey be careful about that radio wave talk and affects on our brains. I've been a ham for many, many years and there's nothing wrong with - there's nothin - there's nothing wrong with - wrong with me... 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ... LMAO, yeah ok sure man.  ;)
  • Options
    <<adjusting my tin-foil hat>>

• Options
    @motie2 Now that's scarey... I don't care who you are... 
  • Options
    I am a bit late to this thread, but I couldn't agree more.  My music is on vinyl, my movies on either vhs or dvd.  My books exist on paper, not a screen. I dry my clothes on a line and wash dishes by hand.  The only time we eat food I didn't cook is when we take the kids to the movies or head out for a festival or something.  I have grown to truly hate this new "wireless" world.  Nobody outside of folks like us takes the time to sit on the porch with fire in our briar and just watch the clouds move and the grass grow.  I see these "Alexa" type things that listen to everything you say and keeps track of to do lists and/or plays music.  Strangely enough I was able to do all of the above just fine without a wireless device that basically spies on it's owner.  Now you got me all fired up over this topic :smile: I also see the kids and teenagers today who damn near lose the ability to function without a smartphone or wireless connection.  I am always in shock at just how plugged in these people are, it is truly an addiction for so many people.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just watched a YouTube video with two Presenters tossing questions at the Amazon Alexis. The one question that really got me bent out of shape was when one kid asked ... "Who is Our Lord And Savior Jesus Christ.". And the reply was ... "Jesus Christ is a fictional character". The two kids asking the questions nearly fell off the couch. They had previously asked a question about Mohammad and got a reply explaining he was a great prophet and went on to give more details on him. This created quite a bit of internet buzz which probably resulted in Amazon reprogramming the answer. But they did a follow-up after it was suggested it was a hoax, and the two provided the raw footage proving it was legit, as well as a few other videos of people asking the same question with the same results. So it makes you wonder just what the HELL is going on. These are devices that are teaching our kids. What other bullsh*t is being programmed into these so-called SMART devices.     
  • Options
    I just don't get the appeal of devices like Amazon Alexis or Google Echo. I own an iPhone, and I turned Siri off once the novelty wore off (about a day). I have hands and a brain, I can go look up stuff on my own.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited November 2017
    @ghostsofpompeii, thanks for posting this. Again, this just proves my theory to BeAnalog. People, parents, need to teach our children not robots. The robotic age is here and only becoming more mainstream and commercial commonplace which will change our behavior. This is very dangerous as we rely more and more on electronic convenience for things that do not need to be simplified. These are machines made my man which will all have flaws, never to be perfect. The more we give in and rely on technology to do what we should be doing, the bigger the graveyards will be. Hear me now, believe me later!
  • Options
    I'm the only one in the family that doesn't have/use a smartphone/iPhone. I have used the same flip phone by Samsung for about six years. Meanwhile, SWMBO sits on the couch and simultaneously watches TV while looking at her iPhone every damn evening. Our two sons and the eldest's wife also are iPhone addicts. I swore that I will never get an iPhone and Son #2 bought me one two years ago, and it sits in a drawer, unactivated....   Sic semper tyrannis.
    [From iPad]
  • Options
    I have an iPhone. I have never felt the need to use Siri. 
    When I think of Artificial Intelligence, I think of movies like 2001: Space Odyssey or the Terminator movies. 

I'm also against self driving vehicles because there has never been a computer program created that can't be hacked. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 I think I've mentioned the "Foxfire Books" before written by Eliot Wigginton, a four volume set that shows all manner of old skills that still live on in very rural Appalachia. Some great stuff in them.
  • Options
    I'm with the crowd that sees our new digital technologies as neither inherently good nor inherently bad. How they are used - like all forms of human communication - makes them good or bad. I personally like being able to be in contact and communication with people that even 10 years ago I could not easily communicate with. Facebook also gives me a better idea of what is on my parishioner's minds, hearts, and souls. and @motie2, I do exegesis in Coggle.it which saves every time I hit return. I then write sermons in Scrivener, which automatically saves every few minutes. Then I email the draft to my gmail account so I can get at it in any computer in the world that has an internet connection. Then I run a full Time Machine backup every night. Belt and suspenders and another belt and suspenders.
  • Options
    My MAC Time Capsule saved me when my hard drive died recently. Restoring everything to my new iMAC (so thin as to be unreal), was easy.
  • Options
    @mseddon -- I went to https://coggle.it/ but it isn't quite explained there. Tell me more about it, please?

• Options
    @motie2 PM me your email and I'll let you have a look at one of mine. I basically break the pericope into meaningful chunks and then start adding on my reflections on each chunk.
  • Options

Technology can be a wonderful thing as long as it works, and we don't become too dependent and/or addicted to it.  I'm still a cast iron skillet and dutch oven kind of guy. If the grid would ever go out, I could still feed and protect my family with the help of like-minded neighbors.

I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout. Do any of you remember the motto?... BE PREPARED... I  still believe in that motto. It's a good motto. No, I'm not one of those way-out-there guys, most of my preparedness is found in my abilities and in my head. 

I need to get off my soap box and quit scaring you guys. I'm really quite normal... I have to be... I'm a pipe smoker... :)

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited December 2017
    @KA9FFJ I've said the same in this an other threads. You may have seen my rant about old ways of things are better and less complicated. I too have cast iron, perk coffee, can my homemade Sauce, grow my own herbs/veggies, play acoutsic mandolin and puff on a real tobacco pipe not vape. This is what BeAnalog is all about. It's an old new way of thinking and I like it. Reduce & Simplify!