Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Captain black

For those of you that smoke captain black do you smoke any thing else or are you a dedicated loyal smoker of just captain black 

Comments

• Options
    I believe variety is the spice of life. I enjoy Captain Black as well as a variety of other blends - and also enjoy the many blends Captain Black has to offer. @Russell do you have a particular favorite among the Captain Black blends?
  • Options
    I have always loved the smell of my uncles pipe he smoked captain black original I'm sure he mixed a bit of another captain black blend with it so I have always smoked original when he passed I ended up with his pipes and took up smoking pipe as a regular and have stuck with the original I have tried all the one you can get local and a couple others I found only online I have been curious about Prince Albert half and half sir Walter Raleigh but don't want buy a whole pouch in case I don't find it palletable I wish I could find a place that would small samples 
  • Options
    Haven't smoked Captain Black since the 1970s. There are too many better tobaccos available in my opinion.
    Prince Albert and Carter Hall are good smooth light aromatics that are recommended for new pipe smokers as often as Lane 1Q. 
    Half and Half and Sir Walter Raleigh are both burley based tobacco with anisette (licorice) flavoring. 
    All four have been around since Columbus was knee high to a life ring and are well respected old codger blends.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe Captain Black has come up with a lot of new flavors since the 70s' and you might be surprised by a few like "Dark", "Copper", and "Round", as well as their tinned specialty blends. Since you enjoy a variety of blends and not just aromatics I'd suggest Captain Black 'Black Sea', it has Latakia in it, and even for someone like me who doesn't normally like Latakia or English blends, "Black Sea" has really grown on me. There is just enough not to overpower the blend, while still having certain Captain Black aromatic features that satisfies the aromatic smoker. I'd highly recommend it to the aromatic smoker who wants to ease into trying English blends.  
  • Options
    The only CB I have and have only tried is cherry. I know, shame on me. I have so many others I wanted to try rather than OTC blends. Since I don't smoke but on the weekends, so I usually look at more specialty blends I guess. 
  • Options
    HawkeyetedHawkeyeted Newcomer
    edited November 2017
    Captain Black is packaged by Lane Limited and is their "Drug Store/Commercial" blend.  You could do yourself a favor by trying Lane's "RLP-6" blend in bulk.  It's basically Captain Black, but made with their premium grade tobacco.

That said, there are two other Lane blends that are (IMHO) to the left and right of RLP-6.  Blend "1-Q"  (colloquially called "Eye-Q") and "BCA" (Black Cavendish Aromatic).  Both carry that toast marshmallow/vanilla taste and room note that is so loved by Captain smokers.
  • Options
    I really don't see what the big deal is for 1Q. It's only okay in my book. Likely not buying it again. I'd rather have LL7 over that any day. 
  • Options
    @Londy3, I agree.  I tried 1-Q a few times and was like....meh. It has less Cavendish than RLP-6, while BCA has more than RLP-6. I really like RLP-6 as it stands in the middle. Bought a couple pounds and canned a bunch for a rainy day.
  • Options
    When I took up the pipe again in the summer of 2016, I quickly got the impression, having taken a deep dive into Google and then branching out from articles and reviews thereby discovered, that 1-Q is the most widely noted tobacco that is not an OTC or codger/geezer blend. So, of course,always distracted by shiny objects, I had to try a tin.

@Hawkeyeted -- I totally agreed with your assessment: meh.

At the time I ordered it, perhaps September 2016, I had no pipe smoking friends, having not yet joined TPL, so I threw out the 1-Q, but  kept the tin; a nice looking tin, makes a nice travel jar.

• Options
    @motie2, at least you found a suitable role for the tin.  Clearly 1-Q wasn't doing it justice.
  • Options
    Glad Im not the only one who doesn't care for it. 
  • Options
    When I started smoking a pipe about 5 years ago, knowing nothing except the the wonderful memories of my grandfather smoking his pipes, my local tobacconist started me with a couple of ounces of 1-Q.  He said it was most likely the closest to what my grandfather smoked.  I'll just say that 1-Q was good enough to get me hooked on the hobby.   But now, after trying other blends, I agree with @Londy3 @Hawkeyeted
    and @motie2 - just okay.  That said I REALLY like Captain Black White.  IMO it's just a nice, easy, basic smoke.  Great tin and room note.  I've tried Royal but came back to White.  Been curious about some of the other pouches but have not gone there yet.  I DID crack upon my first tin if Captain Black Red Sky this weekend - part of the Captain Black Premium Collection.  Man, I have to say I really, really like this stuff.  It's a cherry blend but very smooth.  No bite at all. Did not burn hot either.  And the cherry note is just right.  Not that medicine flavor you get with some cherries. 

@ghostsofpompeii you've got me curious about Black Sea.  I'm not an English blend guy but maybe this is a good way to revisit it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, yes, I'm a Captain Black fan.
  • Options
    @FatherBriar I'm not a fan of English blends - but this one wasn't too bad. It's a nice transition for the aromatic smoker not looking for something too harsh. I wouldn't lie to you, you're a man of the cloth and I've got enough to worry about without lying to a Priest about tobacco. I'm not sure, but that might be a Mortal sin.   
  • Options
    @FatherBriar, most cherry blends I've tried taste like the cherry is artificial, like it's a chemical additive, not a natural additive.  That's the primary reason I've steered clear of them.  I may need to try Red Sky.

Since you're a CB White fan, I'd recommend RLP-6 to you too.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii okay, laughed out loud when I read your post. I appreciate the honesty.  I'm actually not a priest.  Just a Baptist Pastor.  I'm pretty sure I get lied to a lot :o

@Hawkeyeted yep - looks like I'll have to check out the RLP-6 everyone talks about!

• Options
    I'm a "man of the cloth" too, only in my case -- after retirement -- the cloth is denim.
  • Options
    @motie2 Denim is a nice cloth.
    1Q is maybe the mildest of the Aromatics to me, I often use it as a break from the English/Balkan blends I favor, either that or Carter Hall.
  • Options
    I am on board with RLP-6, it is one of my top 10's, along with BCA.  I don't care if they are cheap, I like what I like.  Not a fan of 1-Q, not terrible, but I would much rather smoke something else.  Royal and Copper are not bad.
  • Options
    @FatherBriar - Growing up in Southeast Texas I knew a few Baptist Preachers who weren't exactly stereotypical. One of them made the best rice moonshine in the county and I would often see another one parked by the bank of the river, drinking beer and smoking cigars with a female who was not his wife. Neither of them were pipe smokers, so I always figured them for being heathens. Strangely enough, their daughters were prim and proper young ladies... until you managed to get one on a date. 

I'm not picking on Baptists either. My mother was raised in the Pentacostal Church and my father was a Catholic. 

• Options
    "It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them."
    -Mark Twain
  • Options
    @FatherBriar I was raised a Catholic and my wife was a product of devote Southern Baptist upbringing ... and let's just say neither family was happy. But that was 50 years ago so I think we've proven all the naysayers wrong.   
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I think the problem with stereotypes is they don't represent reality.  I was always told "don't drink, smoke, or chew, or date girls who do!"  MANY years later....I don't drink, but that's just a preference.  I smoke a pipe and I view the natural tobacco leaf as a gift from God, but I've never chewed it - again, another preference thing.  My wife...participates in none of the above.  However, she told me just recently that she has come to really like the smell of the pipe and the "after smell" on me.  So I don't think I'm doing too bad!

@ghostsofpompeii  I've known happy and unhappy of all shapes, sizes, denominations, etc.  If you and your bride are happy then that is certainly something worthy of praise.  

Most people who know me don't think of me as the "typical" Pastor, much less whatever their view of "Baptist" is.  I generally take that as a compliment.  I am ultra-serious about my faith, which very much includes not adding rules to what the Bible says about life and faith.  Something is wrong when being a "pastor" draws a line that repels people.  I don't see the common man/woman running from Jesus but to him.  Hoping I can be that to people.

Enough said...probably too much for this forum...I'll quit preaching (for) now :)

• Options
    I consider myself to be a very Spiritual Person with a great respect and love for my fellow man and the Wonders of Nature. I feel closest to Deity in my wanders which are woefully curtailed for me at the moment. I am lucky enough to live on the edges of a woods so I'm still covered.
  • Options
    @motie2

Boy, what a difference just over a year makes. You now have LOTS of friends here who smoke pipes. You are blessed.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree, but some of y'all are scary. 
  • Options
    Since a majority says rlp6 is the cats ass for those that enjoy captain I recon it's time to order it and some Black Sea 
  • Options
    Where do you guys buy your tobacco or do you order off the idiot box like myself I live I a small town so that's bout my only option unless it's otc pouches I have had good luck with pipesandcigars.com 
  • Options
    Wow! Look how far afield we got. I was never partial to CB Original. P&C Has Captain Black 12 oz tins for$39.95 with $20 P&C Cash per can. Am I wrong thinking that most codger blends come in 14 oz. Cans? I never bought CB.
  • Options
    HawkeyetedHawkeyeted Newcomer
    edited November 2017
    @Russell, I order from an array of online dealers.  My primary place is https://www.cupojoes.com/  Although I've lived in the San Diego region for 30 years, I grew up near Queensbury, NY, so I support them when I can.  However, there are other online places I order from because I like their house blends.  The Country Squire (https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com) out of Jackson, MS has a blend called Cherokee that is nice.
  • Options
    @hawkeyeted I think I will give Cherokee a spin thank you for yet another place to spend money