Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Growing your own

Have anyone ever gotten a green thumb and tried growing their own tobacco?

Comments

• Options
    I've thought about it.  From what I gather, the growing is the easy part.  Its the drying/curing or whatever process you want to do to the tobacco afterwards that is tricky.  Some are simply air cured but most have more complicated curing processes.  I'm interested to hear, if anyone has and how it worked out for them.
  • Options
    @Darmon is right - the curing and so in gets complex.

• Options
    There are lots of Amish farms around my parts and their fields are filled with tobacco. I'd love to chat with them one day and find out their process and techniques. 
  • Options
    DarmonDarmon Master
    edited August 2016

In my researching I've found that tobacco is very pest prone, people will actually use it as a pest buffer.  Meaning they plant it on the outside of their garden, because the pest will prefer it over the vegetables.    Also tobacco if your not careful can strip a lot of the nutrients from the soil, so you would need to plan accordingly if you need to add any amendments to the soil after a few crops of tobacco.  I only have a smaller garden but I tried to talk the wife into letting me grow some for a trial run, even pitched the argument that it would keep pests away from her vegetables.  But as of yet I haven't got the ok to intrude into her garden.  She argues that tobacco is cheap enough to just buy and not have to mess with the growing/curing/storing and then not knowing the quality of how it would turn out and having to invest about a year before you get to see the results.  All that said I'm still trying to convince her for next year's spring garden, and doing my homework on how to, if I can convince her.  And just a thought but growing your own, without a license is ok as long as its personal use only.  Possible to get into trouble if you try to barter/sell any of it.  Just a CYA statement.

• Options
    Good points @darmon! I may have to throw in a few seeds next spring just to see if I can grow it!
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind trying my hand at growing some. Might have to do a little research.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Have looked in to it before, originally for roll your own cigar tobacco and when I started growing hot peppers. Seems pretty straight forward. They are in the same plant family as tomatoes. Cigar leaves require to be grown in shade so they don't get sun spots. I don't think that would matter in the case of pipe tobacco.

Two quick articles
    www.ecoseeds.com/tobacco.html
    https://www.richters.com/show.cgi?page=InfoSheets/d6492.html

• Options
    Thanks for the info and the great link @dstrib
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    This is all very interesting information. If I had a bigger yard I might try it, especially with the way things are going
  • Options
    @kraigseder could add some knowledge here
  • Options
    I've decided to give it a go next year. Just to see if I can pull it off. Now, I'm not going to be able to dry it and cure it perfectly over 3 years but its a start!
  • Options
    Last year was my first attempt at growing tobacco and I had pretty good results given the location I live. I grew bright Virginias. I live in the central Sierra Mountains in California at about 2900' elevation. The summers are dry and not humid as they are in prime tobacco growing country. I started the seeds out indoors in late February and by the end of March I had them outdoors in small pots. They grew surprisingly fast and healthy. I have a few links and a few more pictures on my website http://sedercraft.com/pipe-tobacco/growing-pipe-tobacco/ . I'm not an experienced grower but I ended up with about 1.5lbs of finished tobacco. I am still aging most of it. Half a pound I pressed with make a Virginia Perique with about 5% Perique.

In the picture below you can see the plants in October after I had harvested some of the lower leaves. I did let my healthiest plant go to flower so I could get 2nd generation Virginias a little better adapted to my climate.

Since I don't have the humid climate to hang my plants to color cure them I hung them in a closet where they could dry slow enough to cure to a golden brown.

In the picture below are leaves that have been color cured and the moisture level is low enough that they are still pliable, like soft leather, but not moist enough to mold.

Some of my pressed Virginia Perique flakes that are still aging.

• Options
    Wow, that's awesome @Kraigseder! The pictures look wonderful and its clear that you did your homework. I bet you can't wait to break into them! I may be hitting you up for some advice next year when I give my crop a go. Great pup by the way!
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor Please let me know if you have any questions, or anyone else on the forum. I'm not a tobacco growing expert but I'm happy to share what I've learned so far. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding to smoke a bowl of your own tobacco. The stems when dried and ground finely make great snuff if you're into that.
  • Options
    Thank you @kraigsender I'll most likely take you up on that next spring!
  • Options

I did just order a few packs of tobacco seeds and a book on curing your tobacco at home.  So I've convinced the wife that I can grow some and we'll see how it turns out.  The growing I'm not too concerned with but the curing is kinda tricky. I'll read the book a few times and hopefully not screw up too much.

• Options
    I ordered seeds from kraig and I'm gonna give it a try this year also
  • Options
    Thank you @kraigsender for the pics and play-by-play.  That was very interesting.   I am in lower elevations in N. Ca and have often thought about trying it just for fun.
  • Options
    I HAVE GROWN TOBACCO FOR MANY YRS HERE IN NORTHERN MN.  usually grow 100 or so plants. have grown Virginia, Turkish, burley, and native American( for nic boost if needed). I just save the seeds to regrow. I hang it up in my barn to pretty much freeze dry(short season). after 6 months to a yr. I dampen a little mix with a little flavoring (maybe).the press into a big stock pot or slow cooker. about 180/200 for 6 hrs or so. turning a couple of times. you can smell when the ammonia etc is cooked out and its the right moisture. works for me and my family.
  • Options
    When you Stove it does it darken?
  • Options
    I gave it a try. It was easy to grow. As far as drying, curing, smoking...epic failure.
  • Options
    yes it does darken a little but not like a black Cavendish. just like cig tobacco
  • Options
    kraigseder I might be asking some questions about the curing you did later, I've got about 12 plants going strong right now, from the seeds I got from your site.  All the seeds germinated but I had to thin them out.  I believe it was the 2015 seeds that I started.   I just noticed the x-wing in the picture of the closet, I had one like it when I was younger.  Thanks for the seeds.
  • Options
    I grew some in 2013 in Billings, Mt. from seedlings I purchased online. It grew well in full sun, no spots, no bugs, except aphids. The Aphids stayed away from the Kelly Burley and the Greenwood, but liked the Virginia. I did not worry about cross-polination and saved some of the seeds from different plants. I hung the leaves in the garage to cure...they just dried green. No humidity here, and possibly since I know nothing about growing tobacco, it may not have been fully ripened. 2013 was a short growing season (actually probably a normal year). I tossed all of the leaves away (lots if work down the drain).
    Move ahead to 2016, I started plants indoors from seeds from the 2013 harvest. I had tons of seedlings, I just pulled the extras out of the soil cups, and even transfered some to other empty cups to see if they would continue to grow, just uprooting them and plugging them back in....those little seedlings were tough. Anyway, around the first of June I planted them outside. The grew into what I could best determine as the Kelly Burly (upright leaves), which are the type of plant most of the seeds came from. After picking the leaves on November 5, I used my Ice Fishing house outside to hang the leaves. I put a room humidifier and small propane heater (the one I use when Ice Fishing) in the Icehouse. It worked well, until the outside temps dropped below freezing, and I did not want to risk the humidifier freezing and breaking, at which time I built a PVC frame with a large plastic bag over it to take the process inside. (November 16). I let the leaves airdry until they were all tan/brown, only a few had a small amount of green still present. On November 27 I rigged up my small "jet engine type" propane heater to heat the PVC "tent" and brought the leaves up to around 165F degrees and dried them out to stop the processes within the leaves. Then I took the dry leaves back in the house in my PVC "tent" and brought the humidity back up in the leaves until they were pliable.
    The leaves with a bit of green left in them I steamed for at least eight hours until they were black, then removed them and spread them out to dry on a rack inside the "tent" until they were dried down again. The leaves had a lot more sugars concentrated in them. I shredded some, and some I pressed into a plug with some Dark Rum. I also took some of the air-cured leaves and pressed them into another plug with Coconut Rum. I cut the plugs in half and then pressed one Coconut Rum plug together in a "sandwich" between two of the Dark Rum plugs with a little bourbon to bind them. I made another plug with the air-cured burley by misting each of the leaves with bourbon and then stacked them to form the plug. I have some of the plain air-cured leaves shredded as well. I still have an 8" stack of air-cured leaves in a large Pelican case to age. I rolled two "cigars" from some of the leaves and put them in my cigar humidor (another smaller Pelican case) to age. Pelican cases work very well for humidors by the way. All of the plugs and shredded tobaccos are in Mason jars to age. I haven't decided what I am going to do with the remaining leaves, "cigars", shredded or plug tobacco. I say "cigars" in quotes, because the tobacco is not fermented as in cigar leaf curing.
    The press I built out of 2x4's with a 4ft arm and 50lbs. on the end of the arm. The tobacco moulds I built from oak, a box with open ends held together at the corners with "plate joints". There were two loose ends to the box, that way I just push the finished plug through the box to remove it. The box was lined with parchment paper to make the plug more easily removeable. The plugs formed well, but I think I will add another 25-50 lbs. to the arm next time.
    The tobacco I grew in 2013-before I threw it all out, I tried to smoke some of the brown ones...nasty, smelled like burning leaves and nasty....did I say nasty? Yea, nasty.
    The 2016 harvest air-cured much better, and I think the leaves were ripe, or mosly ripe. They had a pea green tint when they were picked. I have smoked some of this tobacco and it actually taste like tobacco...not good tobacco mind you, but smokeable.....which was my intent, just to see if I could make a smokeable tobacco. With some aging, I have high hopes. As a note, 2016 in Billings was an unusually long and warm growing season which allowed the tobacco to stay in the garden longer, and also gave me a couple of weeks extra to air-cure the tobacco outside. In the end, I would say it was still way to expensive (propane and electricty) and time intensive to be a cheaper alternative to just buying the excellent tobbacos that are out there to partake of. I say leave the tobacco to the experts, at least in Montana....hmm....no wonder we don't farm tobacco in this high plains desert, not nearly enough humidity to cure tobacco efficiently.
    It is fun to try it though, and it gives an idea as to how much effort goes into making excellent pipe weed. I hope to have a get together with fellow pipe smokers to have them try my homegrown, home processed, all natural tobacco. If it sucks, I can just let them in my celler and let them try some of my 120+ different "real" tobaccos.