Home The Lounge
Options

FDA Regulations

Has anyone heard anything new with the FDA tobacco regulations? What’s the latest news you’ve heard?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks @motie2 . I just read the whole thing, and it's obvious that the FDA wants everything to think their entire focus is to keep kids off tobacco. However, there have been many discussions about how this could potentially impact OUR  tobaccos. I think the implementation of this ruling is what I'm still fuzzy on. Anyone hear anything new... like timelines or what exactly the FDA plans on doing to the pipe smoking community? 
  • Options
    @jfreedy @motie2 At this point, the only suggestion is two-fold: 1. Store up as much tobacco as you can and 2. Make friends with private tobacco growers. Seriously, I personally keep around 10-14 pounds of tobacco at any given time. I would guess 3/4 is bulk blends, the rest specialty (expensive) blends. Other than that, we keep our fingers crossed... 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017
    This went up three days ago:   https://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/default.htm

July 28, 2017 seems to be the last time there was any real advancement in regulatory announcements.
  • Options
    I was optimistic that since Trump was against Federal Regulations he might actually do something to help our cause but having discovered he's taken a hard stance in his personal life against vices like drinking and smoking he may not be the Champion I was hoping for on this issue.
  • Options
    Found this paragraph at https://betobaccofree.hhs.gov/about-tobacco/Smoked-Tobacco-Products/index.html#cigar

<<Cigars and Pipes

From 2000 to 2011, the use of non-cigarette smoked tobacco products increased dramatically. The largest increases were in use of pipe tobacco—used for roll-your-own cigarettes—and large cigars.

No tobacco product is safe. Cigars are large, rolled bundles of dried and cured tobacco. There are three major types of cigars sold in the United States—large cigars, cigarillos, and little cigars. While some people still use traditional pipes with a bowl, pipe tobacco is often purchased for roll your own cigarettes.

Like cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco smoke contains toxic and cancer causing chemicals that are harmful to both smokers and nonsmokers. Unlike cigarettes, cigars sold in the United States are permitted to be manufactured with flavors, which can mask the harshness of tobacco and appeal particularly to youth and young adults. Learn more about the health effects of smoking cigars and pipes. >>
  • Options
    This is a circular reference that doesn't show the data, only the "conclusions". 
  • Options
    pretty much leaves out that cigar and pipe tobacco presents less of a danger from smoking than cigarettes.
  • Options
    Of course they'd leave that part out! Doesn't help their agenda.
  • Options
    Where are the pipe Tobacco advocates/lobbyist/growers??
  • Options
    @Londy3 There are Lobbyists and Activists for most everything under the sun but for some reason people would get behind a cause to allow parents to change the sex of their child before puberty if the kid so desired the transition - yet if someone suggested allowing those same kids the right to smoke should they choose there would be an uproar. Smoking seem to be the one taboo even knucklehead SJW's, Conservatives, Liberals, Democrats, and Republicans can all get behind. In terms of popular opinion we rank alongside lepers and politicians. So there is no one in our corner to defend our right.         
  • Options
    Im surprised. It's a big industry. You dont see people freaking out over liquor ads do you? Bourbon is becoming more popular than vodka these days and it can be as bad for you as smoking. Makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    Let me add yet one more little special ingredient to this issue..  Weed. Still mostly illegal yet do they lump this smoke into the tobacco category as well with everything else where legal? 
  • Options
    @Londy3 - No, they done. The weed-whackers claim smoking pot doesn't have the same risk as smoking tobacco. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 - Congratulations on becoming a Master by the way.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, thank you my good sir. 

So what's up with the weed regulations then? If they are going to lump pipes with cigarettes, they need to add weed as well...just to keep it "fair".  Stupid ass politics.
  • Options
    The "Pot Lobby" has every one convinced that marijuana doesn't pose a health risk. Hell, they all claim it safer to drive while lit up on pot than it is to be drunk. To me, intoxicated is intoxicated.
    Also, the medical community seems to pushing the medical marijuana community so they aren't doing the research into how dangerous smoking pot is to your body. Sort of like back in the 40s and 50s when the Doctors were advertising shills for cigarettes.
  • Options
    Follow the money, boys.  Pot is big business these days.
  • Options
    Tobacco and alcohol is big business as well.
  • Options
    Guys

Reading through the info to which Motie posted a link, I piked up two issues.

First, just like all government regulations, booklets, forms, etc., the reading of same can, and probably will cause your brain to explode, and understanding is damn near impossible. Dealing with multiple Government Agencies at all levels of government over the years, it is my contention that those empowered to interpret and enforce those rules do not understand what they say themselves as they were assembled at a much higher pay grade. The only benefit to these kind of intrusions is that significant number of government workers will be hired to peek over our backyard fences and perform SWAT style raids on tobacco shops nationwide, and add a ton more folks to the unemployment lines.

Secondly, IF I read the text correctly, it appears (?) as if the Deeming Regulation has been delayed until May 2018.

And a question: I would think the Tobacco Industry that produces Cigars and Pipe Tobacco would be in the news constantly raising Holy Hell regarding this issue. I HAVE NOT seen a lot of pushback by them. The politicians best remember that tobacco was a very significant product for commerce and even currency back in the days of the Founding Fathers. Those poor old dudes must be spinning in their graves.
  • Options
    Feels like a lot of folks are despairing of the government ever getting anything done.
  • Options
    I'm not despairing of them getting anything done.  Their track record speaks for itself Motie.

I have a real tough time stomaching the mindset of "The government is supposed to take care of me" mentality that seems so prevalent with many of the folks out there.

To me the more the government gets it's nose into my/our business the more likely it is to become despotic and heavy handed.

The Constitution clearly outlines the FINITE powers the government is LEGALLY to have.  Not the over reaching meddlesome bureaucratic quagmire it has become.

In as few words as possible....

Less government, More personal freedom and accountability.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited November 2017
    I personally think the government is way to big and to powerful. People forgot the purpose of the Federal government. It is NOT to get involved in social affairs. One of the items they are required to do and they won't, is protecting our boarders. Amazing other countries do this without an issue. Protecting the US citizens is also questionable from their behavior. I truly do not believe many members of the government have our best interest in mind. Very corrupt establishment. Ugh, don't get me started in this crap.

Just for the record...the Constitution's Preamble says: 
    The federal government was established (and the Constitution was adopted) to “form a more perfect union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.
  • Options
    A lot of us fell for the Cigarette Mystique and many are paying the price for it today. So how come ttheir "Deeming" isn't going after Cigarettes Hammer and Tongs? The RYO's are taking money from the Cigarette Pushers, Electronic Cigarettes are taking money from the Cigarette Pushers. I every cigarette smoker quit the Federal, State, and local governments would lose Multiple Billions in tax rape. Big Tobacco has managed to convince the "Best Government Money can Buy" to turn the easily and cheaply bought FDA(Look up all the Bribery and Corruption laid at their feet.) to attack ALL the other forms of smoking and Congress can say "It's not our fault" it's the FDA's(That they enabled.) Then every d--ned one of them move their money to off Shore Bank Accounts and laugh their A--es off at our expense.

(Fat Guy, once again, gets down from the Soapbox.)
  • Options
    @pwkarch I believe if you look a the total number of smokers, Pipe Smokers are less than 5% of the total.
  • Options
    FOLLOW THE MONEY
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited February 2023
    You know what?
    Screw the FDA.  Screw the CDC and the rest of this fraudulent, fake united states government!  

This organization is the biggest threat to the American citizens and our republic.

Not Russia, not China, not the fake UFOs, not anything else.  It's THEM, the fake US government. They have zero credibility on all levels. They declared war again on the American citizens. Wake up folks they hate you more than you can imagine.

Frankly I don't give a rats ass what any government department has to say about anything. They can kiss my ass. 
  • Options
    @Londy3;
    You said it well. My only disagreement is that they should kiss my ass first. Age should have some damn privilege.