Home The Lounge
Options

Farewell to an old friend, hello to a new

The other day I was greatly saddened when I reached for my old IRC lovat and found a big crack in the bowl. I've been smoking this pipe for forty years - and I found it washed ashore on a Lake Michigan beach - so lord knows how old it actually is. Of recent years it has been serving duty as a trusty flake pipe.
After some browsing around on some pipe e-tailers, I was undecided as to my course of action.  I wanted to purchase soon, didn't want to spend too much, and wanted a fairly small bowl - I like smaller bowls for Virginias. Then I saw the Baraccinis offered by P&C - especially the pocket pipes.They looked like they would serve the purpose, so I pulled the trigger on a straight pot.
It came Friday, and I immediately loaded it up with Lane RR for an initial smoke. It is indeed a little pipe - Dunhill Group 2 size at most - but it smoked well from the first bowl. I'm currently smoking my 4th bowl in it - Newminster 400 Navy Flake - and then plan to give it several days off. As a flake pipe, it is about a 45 minute smoke, which is not bad at all.
I'm sorry to see that trusty old IRC have to go to the box of non-rotation pipes, but I have been pleased with this little Baraccini.

Comments