Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Caking a new pipe

As we all either know, or certainly have been told, Burley Tobacco is the fastest and best way to build "cake" in a new pipe. I have prescribed to that theory myself for years, and it is not a problem as I love a bowl of Carter Hall almost anytime. My first love are aromatics, and for the last 6 months or so I have been "blending" my favorite aromatics with up to 50% Carter Hall for some GREAT smokes. This combo will smoke hot if you push it, but 'sipping" brings an absolute awesome smoking experience with an underlying cocoa/ nutty note added to your aromatic of choice. Should you not be a fan of CH, I would think Half and Half, Raleigh, Lane RR, or any other favorite Burley would also result in success.

The reason for this post is to report I recently I bought several new Briar Pipes, nothing expensive just a Medico Briar and two Baricini's. I thought I would shift to straight Carter Hall to build some cake and give them a start in their life. Instead, for the last week and 1 or 2 more, while working remotely with just over 1 hour trips to and from and enjoying some truck pipe time. Pitch dark in the AM, and beautiful later afternoon fall weather on the way home. I have been smoking my blends of Sutliff Chocolate Mousse with CH, and Sutliff Vanilla Custard with CH. I am here to tell you the "blends" with only 50% of the Carter Hall Burley per bowl have already "caked" those pipes (while making me a happy "piper"). 

So apparently even a small amount of Burley in any blend will do the trick. No doubt a straight Burley blend might do the job quicker, and even though I like my Carter Hall, those of you who do not favor Burley can mix it with your favorite aromatic blend and get the job done, perhaps slightly slower, but done. And in my opinion it will be done while enjoying a great smoke.

Comments

• Options
    The way I started doing it in 1964: Every newly reamed  bowl, every virgin bowl, every first smoke of any pipe, got a finger-wipe of honey to coat the bowl. The cake built effortlessly, provided a little gentle handling when removing the dottle. This works with aromatics as well as the more traditional European blends and VaPers.
  • Options
    I've used the Honey mixed with Whisky moistening before smoking method to good results. I also use the same liquid mixed with ash for Pipe Mud.
  • Options
    Guys, I have heard of the Burley for building cake and have used it often for nearly 40-yrs with SWR, PA, H&H, and CH.  Dunhill's London Mixture and their Standard Mixture also work well for building cake.  However, I have not heard of coating the inner bowl with honey.  Seems it would cling to the tobacco and either steam or gunk up the bowl.  I would also assume the honey would change the flavor of the tobacco.  Am I correct or have I missed the mark on this?

• Options
    The Honey/ Whisky burns off quickly leaving a very thin baked on coat that makes a very tough base to the cake. The Whiskey does add an initial flavor that goes away quickly with no steam or gunk that I can detect. I use the mixture after smoking the bowl so it is dried by the time it's smoked again. However if what you do has worked for 40 years I can't see stopping or changing it.
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- You know, it never occurred to me to mix a little rum into the honey, until I read your post about whiskey & honey (above). It's an obvious thing but I probably would not have hit on it. Thank you!!!!.
  • Options
    I have a number of new pipes that I've smoked, but never "caked." Would you recommend me going back to my new pipes and using one of the suggestions from above? How about estate pipes after they have been sanitized and so forth prior to re-sale?
  • Options
    The building up of cake is the breaking in process of a new or reamed to wood pipe. It's not really something you want to do to a pipe you're selling. 
  • Options
    Thank you Woodsman for the advice. If I understand you correctly, if you have smoked a new pipe, having not done anything to the bowl prior to facilitate the building up of cake, don't do anything other than smoke it. I've never sold a pipe, but I have purchased some estate pipes and that's why I questioned the caking process of a pipe that has been properly prepared for resale. I always buy my estate pipes from reputable dealers.