Home Tobacco Talk
Options

I blog again... George Washington Smoked Here

I went “old school” this morning with my tobacco choice.

How Old?

The tobacco in my pipe came from a 14-oz. tin with a price stamp of $1.19.

The tobacco in my pipe is so old that it went out of production before I met my wife.

The tobacco in my pipe is older than our oldest son.

The tobacco in my pipe is so old that tin is considered to be an antique collectible.

read more at: https://macpappysworld.blogspot.com/ 

Comments

• Options
    @PappyJoe, hey Pappy so you're a blogger eh? Pretty cool man. Looks like you've been at it for a long time, 2009! So, if that tobacco is soooo old, how did it hold up still in the tin?  How did it not go bad or anything?
  • Options
    @Londy3 My guess is a good factory seal. There are quite a few old tins in pipe smokers cellars that are still good. 
  • Options
    Yeah I guess so. I actually rushed out and bought a bunch of Mason jars when I started buying tobacco again. All in fear it s would start to get weird soon after the tin was cracked. That's when I made the fancy labels, so they will still look kinda cool in my storage drawer in my desk. 
  • Options
    Some people recommend jarring tobacco the day you open the tin. I've always felt that if it was something you were going to smoke daily for a couple of weeks then you didn't need to jar it immediately. There are exceptions to this. I buy the seasonal blends that come in the 100 gram rectangle tins like Peterson and Rattray. Those are not air tight and the tobacco is in the cellophane bags inside the tins. Those you need to transfer to a jar as soon as you receive them. 

I've found some of the square tins, like are used for flakes or Penzance, don't maintain a good seal either once open. Those I usually wait for a week or two to transfer because it allows the tobacco to dry out some. The same for the pull top cans with the plastic lids, like C&D uses. 

That's just my opinion. Others may have different ideas.