Home General
Options

R & R Hall of Fame - Fan Vote

jim102864jim102864 Master
edited October 2017 in General
In addition to enjoying pipes and tobacco, we're all music fans, right?  I'm no fan of the RR HOF for a few reasons, but allowing the fans to have some say each year is the right thing to do.  Here's a link to the fan vote. https://www.rockhall.com/

For whom will you cast your vote?  Me?  I'm a huge Kate Bush fan (though I doubt few in the States know her music) along with Dire Straits, Moody Blues and Eurythmics, all of whom I of course voted for.  Who do you think should be on the list, but isn't?  What names on the list do NOT deserve entry in your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    Oh, thank you, @jim102864 -- I thought I was the only one who likes Kate Bush's music. Dire Straits? Of course; Moody's, ditto. Same with Lennox and Stewart.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @motie2 I was hoping someone other than me knew about Kate!  My wife bought her live album released last Fall (Before the Dawn) for me for Christmas.  Hearing her do "The Ninth Wave" live from Hounds of Love is such a treat, haunting and dark though the song may be.  If you haven't seen this YouTube video of "Hello Earth", have a look..  The guy who produced this is an artistic genius, capturing the terror and tragedy of the song perfectly.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWsfNYATsEE
  • Options
    The Moody Blues and Kate Bush. I have a problem with including Rap or Hip Hop artists being inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame because it's not Rock And Roll. But judging by the following Rap and Hip Hop gets I imagine I'm simply out of touch with today's music world. Maybe there should be a separate category for Rap and Hip Hop. Then I'd have no problem with it. It's like the time when Jethro Tull got Best Heavy Metal Act Award over Metallica. I love Jethro Tull but don't consider them Heavy Metal.  
  • Options
    <<I love Jethro Tull but don't consider them Heavy Metal.  >>

I concur.
  • Options
    The MOODYS absolutely (I have every one of their albums), Dire Straits, and many that unfortunately are not nominated. 
  • Options
    Glad to hear Dire Sraits being mentioned,I'm a big fan of Mark Knopler former front man and lead guitarist of Dire Straits.If any one is interested go to YouTube and type in the song Our Shangri la  Mark and Emmylou Harris,what a great song and preformance.
  • Options
    While I have issues with the R&R Hall, what I can say is many of my favorite artists are in.For example,Van Morrison,Bruce Springsteen,Allman Brothers Band,The Rascals,Bob Dylan,E Street Band,and Santana.Can not complain to much.
  • Options
    You know, I am a musician, artist and businessman. I lived in Cleveland most of my life and never been to the Rock Hall...oh for shame  :'(. I live in NC now. 

Anyhow, I don't think rap should be included. It's not rock, it's not really music it's loops with people talking over it. This too is getting political. If they don't accept rap then they will claim racist. When will PC just go away?
  • Options
    judandhispipejudandhispipe Master
    edited October 2017
    J Geils, MC5, Moodies, Link Wray, Sister Rosetta Tharpe. The last two I chose because of their early influence. Sister Rosetta was a gospel musician who also appealed to the R&B fans, and influenced people like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOrhjgt-_Qc
    Link Wray was a pioneer in use of the power chord.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4

I dunno if rap should be included or not; I'm not a fan, but it's probably because of my age as much as anything else. I think of Nina Simone more as a jazz singer, but I must confess I don't know her work well.
  • Options
    Below please find the live solo ending of Tunnel of Love -- a triumphant Mark Knopfler tour de force......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5uPTCbB5s
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @motie2 I couldn't agree more.  His sound and playing style are so distinct and subtle for lack of a better word.  I only got to see him with Straits during the Money for Nothing tour.  
  • Options
    Being a Clevelander, I’m glad it’s here, but I’v only been there once.
  • Options
    I went shortly aftert it opened. You started at the top and exited through the gift shop. 

Sort of neat, but crass.
  • Options
    Cleveland had to fight tooth and nail to get the Rock Hall. They got it in hopes of attracting more visitors, revenue, tourism and of course  the inductee events. Of course NYC gets all the events and revenue that goes with it. Makes no sense. Cleveland once again got ripped.
  • Options
    That's why they used to call my hometown "The Mistake on the Lake."
    Back in the day, Cleveland's counter-culture newspaper was "The Burning River Oracle."
    The Cuyahoga River is a river in the United States, located in Northeast Ohio, that feeds into Lake Erie. 
    The river is famous for having been so polluted that it "caught fire" in 1969.
    The event helped to spur the environmental movement in the US.
    BTW, one Cleveland mayor set his own hair on fire; I don't remember the circumstances.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88012473/

• Options
    I hope they induct The Moody Blues while all the members are still alive and able to appreciate the honor. Too often they wait and induct a band when one or more of the main musicians have passed away and it becomes more of a memorial tribute ... as with YES after Chris Squire died. I suspect Emerson Lake & Palmer will be considered next year now that two of the members have died. Which sucks. 
  • Options
    I hate that moniker, when I go to the pipe show in Columbus guys ask me where I’m from and when I say Cleveland they say “ Oh you’re from the Mistake on the Lake “ I hate hearing that.
  • Options
    I use to hear the snide remarks about Buffalo also.I though Buffalo was the mistake on the lake? Then many times if I had a Bills T-shirt on I would hear about the Super Bowl losses of course. It is all BS pipeman83.Before Buffalo got the Bills we used to get the Browns games,growing up I saw all the great Browns teams in the 50s.What a thrill,Buffalo as a city is coming back and no doubt Cleveland will do the same.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I couldn't keep waiting for that to happen, so I moved toward the sun. 
  • Options
    I understand,But I still fire back when I hear crap about the Queen City.
  • Options
    It's funny because all the guys that say that to me are from Pittsburgh, go figure.
  • Options
    My guess would be this Cleveland and Pittsburgh was a rivalry game in the NFL maybe in the 70s or 80s.The rivalrys come and go.
  • Options
    @buflosab -- I grew up in Cleveland, but spent my college and post-graduate years (1964-1973) in "Cincinnati, the Queen Conservative City of the Midwest." Whereas I always thought of my hometown, Cleveland, as "a good place to be from," I loved Cincinnati. If I could live anywhere in Ohio, it would be Cincinnati.