Home General
Options

Dream locations you want to smoke a pipe at?

If you're like me, then you normally only have a chance to smoke a pipe at home, or maybe at work or a tobacco shop if you're lucky. However, I have a pretty big imagination, so while having a pipe, I'll sometimes daydream having a pipe in a much more scenic location. I've been fortunate to smoke my pipe in a few locations around the world, but there's places I'd like to visit one day, pull out my pipe, and take in the scenery.

So, where are some places you would like to smoke your pipe at? You can even throw in a few places that don't allow smoking of any kind just for fun.

1) Anywhere in Ireland- Though I've been to Ireland twice, and visited Peterson's of Dublin both times, I've yet to smoke my pipe in Ireland. Ireland is one of my favorite places to visit, and there's so much beautiful scenery in the emerald isle. Ideally, I'd want to have a pipe in the Irish countryside, sitting in a field by an old ruin or the remnants of an abandoned cottage slowly crumbling back to the earth.

2) Iona/St. Kilda, Scotland- Being a fan of all things Anglo/Celtic and maps, I'll spend hours on the internet exploring the many islands off the coast of Scotland, called the Hebrides. Three years ago, I was fortunate to spend a few nights on the Isle of Skye, which is part of the Inner Hebrides. It was a magical experience for me, and there's two more islands I hope to visit one day before I die. The first is Iona, the mythical grave site of King Arthur. I collect books on Arthurian lore, and the nerd in me would love to smoke my pipe while wandering the old abbey on Iona, searching for the legendary king's grave. St. Kilda is a more obscure choice. It was inhabited by people until the 20's/30's when the weather became too severe for a settlement, and the people had to be rescued off the island. The ruins of their village are still standing, though, and it's a dream of mine to one day walk among them. Again, my pipe would have to be by my side for such a trip.

3) Gettysburg, PA/Boswell's Pipes- As a child, I was fascinated by the American Civil War. While my interest has waned over the years, I still remember pouring over my history books and seeing all the old photos with soldiers smoking pipes. I'd love to visit the old battlefield one day, have a pipe and quietly honor the many men on both sides that sacrificed their lives in battle. Since it's in the same state, I'd also like to visit Boswell's legendary pipe shop and have a smoke at the tobacconist where I purchased my first pipe tobacco order (over the phone).

4) A lighthouse- Any lighthouse will do, honestly. I love visiting lighthouses, and the daydreamer in me has this romantic idea of living the life of a lighthouse keeper. I know it was rough, and sometimes lonely work, but the imagery still sticks with me. If laws weren't an issue, I imagine going to the top of a lighthouse and having a pipe while watching the ocean would be an unforgettable experience.

5) The Eagle and Child Pub- This is just a pipe dream, since UK smoking laws are so strict. Still, I'd love to visit the favorite haunt of the Inklings, order a drink, and sit with my pipe and imagine what it would've been like to be among the company of two of my favorite authors.

Comments

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper, you have quite the imagination.  I think you are a hopeless romantic (just like me).  But you've given me something to think about.  Off the top of my head, I'd like to smoke a pipe in front of my own fireplace, instead of going outside to face the mosquitos.
    I'll come up with other places soon...thanks for the challenge!!
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I'm with you on the lighthouse. I'm sure @PappyjJoe can remove any of the romantic notions we may have about being a lighthouse keeper with some cold hard facts ... but I still like the though of st5anding atop the uppermost level of a lighthouse overlooking the railing into the raving sea while puffing my pipe.
  • Options
    At sea.....it was always necessary to light up whatever you wanted to smoke before going out on deck. In almost any weather other than tropical (such as the Duldrums). Once outside whatever you smoked was finished in almost seconds....a normal hour cigar might last 30 or 40 minutes. A pipe bowl would not last very long either. The headwind almost always caused by the ships movement would often make the tobacco in your pipe glow red, and the briar would be very warm if not hot.

But on the very occasional day in which it was decent on the weatherdecks, it was relaxing siting with the sun on your face, puffing whatever tobacco you had, and thinking of everyone back home. The sea which is often brutal, can also be a very serene and relaxing place to be. 
  • Options
    I'm thinking of a streetside cafe in Buenos Aires, or atop the Great Wall of China.  I'm fortunate to have a job that lets me see places I'd otherwise never reach, so I've been to both of these, but unfortunately pipeless.
  • Options
    Yes, @pwkarch has nailed it for me: at sea. Or at least, at the seashore.
  • Options
    @Rusty69 Nice choices. I wouldn't have thought to pick those places, but I hope you're able to smoke a pipe there.

@pwkarch Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that a pipe would go out so fast, but that makes sense. I imagine lighting a pipe on deck would be a huge pain.

@ghostsofpompeii I've visited one or two lighthouses, and they went into what life was like for a keeper. It didn't sound like fun, even living on the mainland. I imagine living on an island at a lighthouse would be even rougher.

@mfresa Nice choice with a fireplace. I've had a few pipes in front of a campfire, and it's always been a great experience.
  • Options
    To be honest, I would like to visit various cities in Italy from Rome, Tuscany, the city my family is from, Compobasso and others around the region. I would to like to learn about each area, the history, the people, what they do ect...take it all in.  Then find my alone time, set up the easel, pipe and just start capturing the experience as I feel it to be.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper @ghostsofpompeii - You must be thinking about lighthouse back in the 1800s. I believe all the lighthouses in the United States today are now automated and unmanned with a few exceptions. Some have been turned into museums and some have been leased out to individuals who are required to maintain the property.  The majority of U.S. Lighthouses were not the solitary locations of novels. Many had family residences and most were also lifeboat stations that would respond to vessels sinking or groundings. 

The key is that there were exceptions. There were lighthouses that were isolated and hard to get to on both the east and west coasts. Tillamook Rock Lighthouse was on top of a huge rock island. It was resupplied by climbing over 100 feet up the side of the island and using a hoist to get supplies up. Once helicopters were in use by the Coast Guard, resupply was done by air. That didn't last long as it was decommissioned in 1957.

@pwkarch -  I did my sea time on an icebreaker back in the 70s and when the weather was nice enough smokers would congregate on the fantail under the flightdeck so we seldom had the wind problem you described. I think our top speed was somewhere around 15 knots. Of course, this was back in the 1970s and we had only 4 areas where smoking was not allowed - the bridge, the helo hanger, sickbay and the galley. I've been retired since 1993 but I would bet no smoking is allowed on ship period these days.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Our Minesweeper had a top speed of around 13 knots SOG, it took forever to get somewhere and then get home. 

We were allowed to smoke everywhere with the exception of the Mess Deck and the Berthing Compartments (and the weatherdecks during certain operations). I remember smoking with the Junior Officers on the bridge occasionally when the Captain was not there. I do know from reading that smoking onboard Navy vessels is not permitted except in specific locations that are posted as such. Even the military has become PC.
  • Options
    @pwkarch - just goes to show how different the military enforces rules and regulations at time. Our captain was an old cigar-smoking mustang and he set the rules for the ship. The only time smoking was allowed on the bridge was when he was up there and he was the only one. I remember he did allow smoking on the bridge wings now that I think about it. I forgot that the radio room was a none-smoking area at all times because of the electronic equipment. I should have also said the mess deck was none smoking during meals. We could smoke while on watch in the engineroom but you better not get caught smoking when you were working around oily rags. 
  • Options
    I'd like to have a pipe on the top of the castle at Neuschwantsein.

• Options
    Some places I've smoked my pipe:
    In the middle of the Bering Sea in the ice, about halfway between Alaska and Russia and 50 miles from open water.
    On the beach in Honolulu.
    in Auckland, Christchurch & Wellington, NZ
    McMurdo Station, Antarctica
    Palmer Station, Antarctica
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Key West, Fla. - In the original Sloppy Joe's bar among other places.
  • Options
    This summer I went to FL to see my family. Twice I got to enjoy smoking with one of my brothers. Once in the front yard and once on the back porch. My son joined us both times. Sometimes the "with whom" is more important than the "where".
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I married my Wife in Ireland and smoked in quite a few places like The Ring of Kerry and the Rock of Cashel, But my favorite places were while Fishing the Shannon and leaning against a tree in a field overlooking a beautiful valley near her hometown of Elphin, Co. Roscommon. We went back there every year till her parents passed.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'd really like to just quit my job and see these cool places in the world. Work is overrated.
  • Options
    @Londy3 -- !00% agreement. If I had known retirement was so good, I would have
    1) bagged my career much sooner.....
    and
    2) taken better care of myself.
  • Options
    @motie2, words of wisdom. What was your career if I may ask?
  • Options
    Londy3 -- Clergy
  • Options
    Looking down from a hot air balloon as I sail around the world.
  • Options
    Back with my much missed old friend Dick on his 42' Catalina having the C--p scared out of me when he Heeled it Way Over before the wind.
    On a veranda overlooking a fishing village in Greece.(Never been.)
    Fishing in ANY location.
    At the Oskosh EAA Fly In. (Bucket List)

• Options
    Any where that is peaceful and quiet. Maybe in the highlands of Scotland. Or in my front  porch swing on a cool sunday morning about 6:26 when It is just me and my coffee.
  • Options
    @Corey562 The Scottish Highlands are a good choice. I drove through them while traveling to the Isle of Skye, and they were a sight to behold. I'd love to have a pipe there someday.
  • Options
    In the club car of a train bound for Chicago with a Scotch.  But since there are no more club cars or smoking on trains, I find it very relaxing and peaceful smoking my pipe as I walk through the quiet Victorian streets of Cape May, NJ early in the morning as well as in the evening.  Sometimes it almost feels like being paralleled with the past, especially in the fall when folks walk around in period dress.
  • Options
    This will mean nothing to you if you are not familiar with JRR Tolkien, but I'd like a pipe smoke in the Prancing Pony...
  • Options
    In front of the fireplace...
  • Options
    .....does anyone know where I can find a fireplace? The only one nearby is in the nearby pub, and there's no more smoking in pubs.....
  • Options
    @motie2
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get yourself a decent terra cotta Chimnea. Cool evenings or mornings sitting by the Chimnea crackling and popping is prime pipe smoking atmosphere. Add a little contemplative music and you are close to Heaven.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- What a wonderful idea. I've thought of a fire pit, but a chiminea would be better.... Thanks, as always, for the recommendation.

Do you favor the terra cotta over cast iron?
  • Options
    Motie

I have had both "metal" and terra cotta. I suppose a cast iron would be better than a generic stamped metal, but personally I prefer the terra cotta which just takes a little more TLC.