Home General
Options

That smelly pipe!

What are your best suggestions to get the pipe smell out of clothes, cars, and if you smoke inside, your house?

Comments

• Options
    I try not to smoke where the smoke will leave a stench in fabric...but no, I'd smoke in my birthday suit!
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I normally smoke outside and here in Texas it is normally windy or breezy so I don't have to worry to much.  However, I do keep an eye on my clothes that I wear and make sure I have on things I don't mind getting stinky, such as a leather jacket I only use when smoking or camping.
  • Options
    None of my pipe tobaccos stink. 
  • Options
    @Pappyjoe thinking about it I agree with you.  None of my pipe tobaccos stink, they may have a distinct smell afterwards but I enjoy it.  Normally, the smoke that I find to be to strong and am careful with what I wear when smoking are my cigars as I like some very potent knock you on your ass cigars.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    edited July 2016
    I smoke inside all the time,my pipe tobaccos are the better smelling smokes.My wife and I
    are both cigarette smokers,and I enjoy cigars as well.So when I light up a bowl of Captain Black
    it is a vast improvement.
  • Options
    @drac2485 my favorite pipe tobaccos are ones where I can rub my hand through my beard an hour later and still smell the essence of the smoke.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe That's how I feel about my pipes and cigars.  I love waking up the next morning and still smelling/tasting it on my mustache.
  • Options
    i wear a scrub jacket at work when i smoke...i work at a nursing home and the jacket keeps my scrubs from smelling like smoke when i return to take care of my residents.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    @carpgame so your scrub jacket is kind of like a smoking jacket. Except the purpose of a smoking jacket is so you don't burn your normal clothes from errant ember or ash falling.

House plants help with neutralizing smells in houses. Also ozone generators work well, just don't sit in the same room when running them. Have heard they are not good to be around while running. They use them in appartments to get rid of lingering smells from previous tenants.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Im not allowed to smoke in the house. But I like the permeated smell of pipe tobacco, reminds me of my Uncle Stan's house when I was 6. That sweet, woodsy smell. You guys know what I'm talking about (even if you've never thought about it).
  • Options
    I need to invest in a smoking jacket, I have way too many shirts with small burn holes in them!
  • Options
    I wear a vest or jacket devoted to pipe smoking. I also have some clothes I have set aside just for my pipe smoking. I find that helps.
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor - those aren't burn holes, they are character statements.
  • Options
    Haha, I love the way you think @pappyjoe...now just tell my wife that!
  • Options
    For those that end up with holes in your clothes...  What are you doing that causes that?  I haven't done that yet (knocking on wood now).  I know I where mainly cotton anyways but the worst I get is not thinking and wiping the tamper on my shirt or pants but at least ash comes out.
  • Options
    @drac2485, I notice it more when I smoke outside and the wind kicks up a bit and some ash blows out of the bowl.
  • Options
    @drac2485 - same here. I only get an occasional hole when I'm outside and the wind kicks up.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Here's a word or two for the young folks: You know that lovely girlfriend you have who's always telling you how much she loves the smell of pipe smoke? Once you marry said woman, you may expect a somewhat different refrain. DAMHIKT.
  • Options
  • Options
    @drac2485, I wish my wife understood that like you do!
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @Topaz75 Truer words never spoken my friend. I know from personal experience, but she knew coming into it that I will stop at nothing. She used to like it, then she started to complain about it, and now she just says nothing. So they can be trainable to just not, if you're lucky enough for that, LOL
  • Options
    @mhajec - It's not about training them, it's about how you treat and respect them. I smoked a pipe when I met my wife in 1975. Smoked it on and off for until 1986 when we learned our youngest daughter had allergies and asthma. Didn't start smoking on a regular basis until youngest daughter left for college. Now my wife is a pipe smoking enabler who likes to find estate pipes for me and will buy me new pipes for Christmas, Father's Day and my birthday. 
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe it's a mutual respect, what my wife and I have I mean, I never smoke inside the house or vehicles, I don't smoke around my children (granted they know I smoke, they just never see the act of it from me). The trainable comment was a joke. My wife could care less really what I spend on my pipe, cigar, or whatever my flavor endeavors because I have never once gone into excess. And she promotes my smoking because it gets me, walking the dog, hiking, backpacking, and just out of the house. She won't go searching for pipes for me (as she is a nurse and knows what I'm doing to my body) but she doesn't stop me either because she knows it's something I enjoy (and I enjoy very little in life) and that it's my hobby. I'm pretty much a shut in unless I have a pipe or cigar in my hand. I work from home, I suffer from severe social anxiety and PTSD, so she pretty much promotes just about anything that will prevent me from becoming an agoraphobe, LOL (not really funny, but yeah, funny).
  • Options
    @mhajec - sorry about the PTSD. I've have friends who did tours in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan who suffer from forms of it. The Vietnam vets are in the worse shape because it wasn't being diagnosed back then - they were just called malcontents and kicked out. I also have some retired Coast Guard friends who never got shot at, but suffer from a form of PSTD involving the nightmare of people they couldn't save. They say it's never the happy endings that they remember but always the ones they lose. 
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe nothing to be sorry for,  millions of people suffer from it, I am no different than them. I'm lucky enough to have support, skills that allow me to work from home, and a no quit attitude (although it did almost defeat me in April). I'll get through it. Plus it helps to be able to BS with you guys here (the most social I've been in about 2yrs).
  • Options
    @mhajec  I have some PTSD from life and have watched several friends go through what you described.  I love BSing and will gladly keep you included.  Just be forewarned, waders and a good shovel are very important around me some days.
  • Options
    Febreze seems to work in a lot of cases for clothing or a car. To reduce the scent coming from my pipe racks when my ultra sensitive Daughter comes for a visit I put the racks in a box with an Ozone Generator for an hour which knocks it way down.