Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Nicotine Attack?

Something happened to me just now and I need help.
First, I'm not a smoker and never smoked cigarettes in my life so I don't know how nicotine behaves. This morning while having my coffee I also burned a small bowl of L-Q which was a nice relaxing time outside on my porch. Right after, I took my Beagle for a walk but when I came home I felt weird. It feels like an intense caffeine attack. I don't know if someone can get a nicotine attack or not. Am I experiencing a combination of both at the same time? Have not eaten anything yet so both the Tobacco and coffee are in my system. What is wrong with me?

Comments

• Options
    Well there have been days that I have smoked a bowl on a empty stomach and felt a little quezzy but I just figured it was a mix of nicotine and caffeine but it has always passed.
  • Options
    Nicotine doesn't hit like caffeine. If it happens again, see a doc.
  • Options
    I agree with @Corey562 about smoking on an empty stomach... especially when caffeine is involved. Something similar has happened to me in the past. That said, if it happens on a full stomach I also agree with @motie2 about getting checked out. It could be that the two stimulants in your system may be causing something else (e.g. blood pressure) to flair up. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 -- This tends to happen to me more with a stout cigar than a pipe, but it has happened with a pipe. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I think it was a combination of both and an empty stomach. Was very odd. I'll never do that again.
  • Options
    @Londy3 It's happened to me when I use a large amount of Perique in a blend. There are a couple of blends I've acquired which are aromatic in name only and have more of a strong tobacco taste (I'm light-weight and like my aromatic to taste like freshly baked pastry). And on those rare occasions when I have a Latikia blend which I've mixed in an amount of Perique I can get sick to my stomach about mid-way through the bowl. Especially on an empty stomach.
  • Options
    Mowing the lawn while puffing on a pipe will give me a quesy feeling, so usually will smoke a cigar, to keep the bugs way, of course.
  • Options
    Of course.....
  • Options

@Londy3, If it is the nicotine making you queasy, you can eat a piece of hard candy, like a Jolly Rancher, and the quick ingestion of sugar into your system will usually drive up your blood sugar levels, and the feeling will pass. I saw a guy in a cigar shop in Nashville TN. once have to lay down in the floor, after smoking a Liga Privada Flying Pig. It was his first cigar, and one of the most expensive he will probably ever smoke, after he asked the owner to call an ambulance.

• Options
    @xDutchx -- Exactly what happened to me the first (and last) time I smoked one of those aluminum tubed Bering cigars, with the cedar shim inside the tube.
    Well, not exactly the same: I fell out of a chair
  • Options
    It is amazing how quickly the body can adapt to different substances. Some folks get prescribed Darvocet, and just a few years later end up being prescribed OxyContin. Same goes for nicotine, it doesn't take the body long to adapt. There was a time when I would get the spins smoking Royal Yacht, but now I can smoke the most potent ropes, and never flinch or get the hiccups.
  • Options
    @xDutchx I'm that way with Ambien. I've been taking it so long because of a combination of back pain and insomnia that the pills no longer work. I'll probably have to find Michael Jackson's doctor to prescribe something better. Actually the older I get the less time I want to spend sleeping anyway. Don't know how many days I have left so I want to enjoy as many hours of the day as I can. (I'm not suggesting I'm dying in the near future - just want more goofing around time and less sleep time. As I heard someone say in a movie once ... "I'll sleep when I'm dead".)
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, Yes I agree, plenty of time to rest when we are dead! Speaking of Michael Jackson, do you know how they knew when it was bedtime at Michael Jackson's house? It was when the big hand, was on the little hand.........
  • Options
    Nicotine can make me dizzy, sweaty, drool like I am going to barf, and possibly barf, sometimes.  A big bowl of SG Black Irish XX will do it...hell a small bowl of that stuff will do it to me (lightweight).  A very small bowl is tasty however.  Next time you feel the nicotine buzz, try eating a hard candy or two like XDutchX advised, it has helped me (a "cure" I learned on another forum somewhere at some time in the distant past).
  • Options
    High "Nic" will make me dizzy, I don't usually smoke them.
  • Options
    Yeah, I will do the candy thing but I hope there is no next time.  I am very sensitive to drugs and things so knowing this now doesn't surprise me. I just need to learn what the high nic stuff is and take it easy. Wish I had a chart with all the blends and their nic rating.
  • Options
    Nicotine in pipe tobacco research hits:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-basics-nicotine-amp-sugar-content-curing-methods

http://www.synjeco.com/pataall/info/home.php?i1

https://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ProductsIngredientsComponents/ucm482580.htm

Factoids: 

Cigarette tobacco and fine cut tobacco results cluster around a pH 5 with average nicotine levels between 15 and 20 mg/g. Pipe tobacco presents the lowest observed pHs 4.7-4.9, while nicotine content averaged around 17 mg/g. Cigars present pH levels between 6 and 7 while nicotine contents are low, between 7 and 12 mg/g.

Latakia is sun cured, then finished over a fire to impart the smoky flavor and aroma. Latakia is pretty low in nicotine.

Samuel Gawith Finest Kendal Twist Black XX is the black tar heroin of pipe tobacco. You have been warned.

• Options
    @motie2, great stuff man.  Thanks for posting this.  
  • Options
    I dunno, amigo @Londy3. That <<Cigars present pH levels between 6 and 7 while nicotine contents are low, between 7 and 12 mg/g.>> stuff runs contrary to my fell off the chair response to smoking a Bering cigar, back in the day.

I have not experienced what everyone else is describing as a nicotine attack whilst smoking mainstream pipe tobacco, again, back in the day, such as Nightcap, Royal Yacht, Balkan Sobranie, Escudo and Plum Cake. These days, I'm smoking what I think is a low to medium/low nic aromatic.)
  • Options
    @motie2, but you were also a cigarette smoke for years right?  I never have smoked before. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 -- I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. My parents both smoked them: Mom, two packs of unfiltered Chesterfields; Dad, three packs of unfiltered Camels -- both per day.

I hated cigarettes as a kid and only started smoking a pipe in college because the older guys smoked pipes and it looked cool.

Cigarette smoke still bothers me. Sometimes I'll come home from a restaurant or pub and want to burn my clothes. However, I think that cigarette smokers should be able to smoke in restaurants ad bars so long as I can carry and use a squirt gun filled with cat urine.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2017
    @motie2, oh, sorry. I thought I read somewhere you did smoke cigs. Like your parents, my mom smoked Kools every damn day in the house and around us kids, in the car, airplane and restaurants, back then when you could. To this day I want to puke from the smell. It's f#@&amp;!ng nasty. 

This is the main reason I get so damn aggravated with people about pipe Tobacco. It's NOT the same thing. I get tired of it being so taboo. Again, I don't consider myself a smoker at all. I only have a few bowls a week and never inhale. But yet, people see my pipe and say, I didn't know you smoked. I DON'T. Sorry for the rant. Stupid people piss me off. 
  • Options
  • Options
    @Londy3

Several times in my cigar days I smoked some very strong cigars that really impacted me to the point of dripping sweat, room spins, and nausea. Several posters above nailed it though, I have read many times that that is the result of a drop in your blood glucose (sugar) levels, and a quick shot of sugar, candy, etc, will usually start to eliminate the symptoms. Having said that I have also gotten minor symptoms of the same issue while smoking  pipe tobacco. It is hard for me to pinpoint the set of circumstances to avoid it again, but I would bet it was an uncommon set of circumstances such as the strength of the tobacco, how strong you wear sucking smoke, time since last food, etc. Sometimes just our bodies are off chemically speaking which I think affects even the tastes and aromas we perceive. Don't let it get you down, just take stock of the situation if it ever happens again and perhaps you will be able to pinpoint the cause.
  • Options
    From http://www.pipestud.com

<< .... here's the email from that customer who decided to call me "Pipedud:"

Customer - Dear PIPEDUD,

“Two weeks ago I got suckered into making my first and what will be my last purchase from your website. I wasted $90 purchasing a tin of Dunhill Nightcap from 1998. Because you wrote some flowery prose in your description about the blend being one of history’s most famous tobaccos, I went ahead and wasted good money by purchasing the tin. When I smoked it last night after dinner it immediately made me nauseous. Five puffs later my dinner was all over my living room floor where I barfed it all up. The sensation of the nicotine rush was so severe that I didn’t even have time to stagger to the bathroom. Enclosed is a one dollar tip for your services. It would have been a penny but I couldn’t find one.”>>

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, “What a maroon.”
  • Options
    Just a side note, It was explained to me by Per Georg Jensen the master blender at Mac Baren during a blending seminar a few years back, that the pH  of tobacco has a huge influence on the rate at which the body absorbs nicotine.
    He was, at the time explaining why perique tobacco is such an ass kicker,, pointing out that yes perique has a higher level of nicotine but it was the high pH of perique  (7.5-8.5) that realty makes the difference.

• Options
    Don't forget about the pH of the PIPE!!!!!!

Pipe pH – do you know your pipe’s pH, is it acidic, neutral or alkaline? A pipe has pH like any organic substance.  It can vary from 0 – really acidic – to 14 extremely alkaline.  The soil the briar grew in and the water in it determine it. It doesn’t change when they boil the blocks.  Your tobacco also has pH. If your pipes is a low pH and your tobacco is a high pH that is not likely going to be a happy combination, unless they neutralize each other, a very big maybe.  This I am sure is the reason why a tobacco will smoke great in one pipe and badly in another. Assuming similar size and briar origin. You can determine the pH of the tobacco but very difficult to do on the pipe. So, we are still back at the try it and see method.