Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Acquiring a Taste

When I was a young pipe smoker (a little over 50 years ago), for awhile I regularly enjoyed a blend called London Dock.  It's an unusual aromatic with a little bit of everything, including Burleys, Virginias, Orientals, and a touch of Louisiana Perique.  It's topped with rum, cherry, and Vanilla flavors.

Until recently, I hadn't seen London Dock in a very long time.  However, my son somehow found a tin and gave it to me for Father's Day.  About a week ago I enthusiastically popped open the tin, eager to once again experience this tobacco that was such an integral part of my past.

I fired up a bowl in one of my old Petersons and my immediate response was that it was terrible.  I genuinely thought it was really weird and one of the worst things I'd smoked in years.  But with the frugality that comes with old age, I was not going to give up and discard a tobacco that someone had paid good money for and was kind enough to give to me.

Fast forward to today, when I'm nearing the end of the tin and can honestly say that I'm enjoying the tobacco.  It seems like the more I smoked it, the better I liked it.  My point is that sometimes we may dismiss a blend too quickly based on initial impressions, not giving ourselves an opportunity to develop a taste for it.  Who knows?  This may provide a reasonable explanation for the existence of those mental patients who regularly smoke Mixture No. 79.

Comments

• Options
    I would say that yours is an excellent observation. I can't tell you how many pipes as well as tobaccos I have smoked, that weren't near as good the first 7 bowls, as they were after the pipe started to love them.
  • Options
    @Topaz75 -- <<This may provide a reasonable explanation for the existence of those mental patients who regularly smoke Mixture No. 79.>>

Hilarious......
  • Options
    @Topaz75 I completely agree with @xDutchx that the first time you smoke a new blend you may absolutely hate it ... but give it a shot a few more times before discarding it completely. And after a few more bowls you may find it's pretty damn good after all. I think the name of the blend can often add to our expectation - only to be let down because it doesn't taste like the name might imply. But after you get over the initial disappointment you appreciate the blend for what it is and not what you'd hope it to be. For me a perfect example would be Sutliff Apple. The description promised the taste of a freshly baked apple pie, but I couldn't even detect a hint of apple - baked or otherwise. So my first inclination was to jar it up and forget about it, chalking it up to another bad experience of fruit flavored tobaccos not meeting my expectations. Weeks afterwards I tried again ... and still no distinct taste of apples ... but I did get a very pleasant brown sugar cinnamon flavor - and just the slightest hint of could be described as the bottom layer of a pie crust. So even though it never taste like a freshly baked apple pie, it proved to be a delightful smoke. I think in your case you were hoping to reconnect with an old friend and it was not exactly what you remembered. The reason being London Dock has been recently reissued after a long absence, so there is a good chance it's not the exact blend you purchased 50 odd years ago. More like a blender trying to MATCH the original recipe and missing the mark. But after a few more smokes you start picking up those similar yet subtle nuances of the original blend - and it's close enough to rekindle your relationship with a cloned version of that old friend.        
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- I was not looking for an apple blend, but I tried this when they had a sample sale a while back and found it pretty on target:

http://www.eacarey.com/applepie.html
  • Options
    It could also simply be that it had time to "breathe" like a good red wine. Once you break the tin's seal and oxygen begins to interact with the tobaccos the flavor profile can change some. This has happened with several tins that I've tried... most notably was my first tin of Early Morning Pipe. I didn't really love it at first, but a few weeks later I loved it!
  • Options

@jfreedy, I totally agree. Years ago, I noticed that as I smoked a particular tin, the closer I got to the bottom, the better it tasted. It's not uncommon at all for me to open a tin, and remove the lid every day or so, allowing it to decant for 2 or 3 months before I smoke the first bowl.

• Options
    I agree with @Topaz75. People who smoke Mixture 79 are mental patients.
  • Options
    @Topaz75 @ghostsofpompeii is correct about London Dock returning to production. Daughters & Ryan has it in their lineup, and I purchased a tin out of curiosity. While I never tried the original blend, I think the "new" London Dock is worth checking out. It has a nice, fruity tin note and smokes great.
  • Options
    This is interesting. I'm right there with y'all when I first tried Autumn Evening. There was so much build up on how amazing this blend is. Ranks top favorite for many and get very high reviews. So, I got me some. I did everything right to set up my experience. Fresh coffee, my special seat outside, great weather and about an hour to kill and chill. I open it and was delighted with the smell out of the tin. Was very excited to try it. I fill up my bowl and fire it up. I must tell you my first bowl was a huge disappointment. I hated it the taste. The room note was nice but not the flavor. I have since tried it over and over and it's just only ok for me. I sip it and taste the maple but again was imagining something much better. It's never going to be a favorite.
  • Options
    Sometimes the tobacco needs the right pipe, as well. I bought a tin of 4 Square English. I smoked it in several pipes, and I didn't like it at all until I got it into my old Chiara dublin. In that pipe its OK. I won't buy another tin, but I can enjoy this one.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe, I hear people talking about the "right pipe" for use in the "right blend" which to me sounds kinda crazy. If there are any difference in flavors that a pipe makes due to pipe material (kind of wood, or cob, or broken in, coated or not ect) you are talking about splitting hairs here. There cannot be a significant change difference in taste. I just don't see it as of yet at least. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 - My personal opinion is that what makes a difference in taste is what tobacco was used to create the cake in a briar pipe. I have noticed that a new corn cob will have a slightly sweeter taste until it starts building a cake. The more you smoke in the cob, the less you notice it. 

If you want to taste just the tobacco, my recommendation is to smoke it in a clay pipe or a meerschaum that has always been wiped clean after smoking. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2017
    Then why build up cake if it's gonna muck up flavors of different tobacco? Pipes are designed to burn tobacco so it sould not be an issue to the wood.
  • Options
    I've always been told you build up a cake in briars so they smoke better and protect the bowl from burnout. As for "mucking up" the flavors, why do you think people dedicate some pipes to aromatics, some to English, some to VaPers? It's because they don't want to alter the flavor profile by something the have previously smoked. Think about those pipe tobaccos that are notorious for ghosting.

• Options
    @Londy3 -
    The cake also sweetens the pipe, since the carbon is formed from the sugars in the tobacco. (This is one reason why many seasoned tobacco pipe smokers retain particular pipes for particular blends of tobacco, as the sugars created by a certain blend in making a cake may ‘pollute’ the flavor of a different tobacco blend – a lesson well learned by the beginner pipe smoker).&nbsp; The sweet cake also absorbs the ‘flavor’ of the briar (after all, we use smoking wood to flavor many of our favorite foods) and the result of smoking a pipe with a well formed cake is a mellow, sweet smoke. However, you can also have too much cake which is discussed later.
    from https://thispipelife.com/tpl-article/34/
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- Interesting that TPL's take on cake is from EA Carey.
  • Options
    @motie2 - Yes. But does it matter? 
  • Options
    No, but it's interesting..... to me, anyway......
  • Options

The width as well as the height of the bowl, can have a definite effect, on how a blend tastes in a particular pipe. Also, the piece of briar a pipe is carved from, can influence the flavor of a particular blend. If a pipe carver takes a piece of briar, large enough to make 2 pipes from, splits it in half, and finishes out 2 pipes, one of those pipes may provide a superior smoke to the other one, or both may provide a mediocre smoke. The thing is, the pipe carver has no way of knowing by simply inspecting a block, which side will provide a superior smoke, or whether either of the two will.

If a pipe smoker has a dialed in palate, they can detect details in flavor, that they may not have been able to detect, when they first started smoking. It is not uncommon for a pipe or cigar smokers palate to take years to develop. To me, these are aspects of the hobby that make it interesting and rewarding.

• Options
    Sheesh...then I guess I just don't smoke enough. I'm keeping things really simple on my side. Just enjoying the quiet time, solitude, peaceful surroundings, great aroma and flavors on the pallet. That's what pipe smoking means to me. 
  • Options
    @Londy, I am referring primarily to shape and size - and perhaps quality of a pipe. I can give you an example from my current experience.
    I purchased a tin of Four Square Virginia. This is a light, citrusy Virginia. I tried it in a number of different pipes - all from my Virginia rotation - they don't get latakia or aros. It was pretty much a nothing blend. Then I tried it in my little Joao Ries bent dublin. Totally different tobacco - very enjoyable.
    Am I going to buy another tin? Highly doubtful. Am I going to smoke the rest of the tin in that pipe? You bet your bottom collar I am.  
  • Options
    @Londy3 Some pipe shapes are better for certain blends than others. English blends, for example, smoke better in the wider bowl of a Rhodesian or Pot. Flake tobacco smokes better in a pipe with a narrow chamber, such as a Dublin or Zulu.

When I first bought my Savinelli bent Dublin, I smoked aromatics in it, as those were the blends I had at the time. I wasn't impressed with the pipe, but kept it because I liked the shape. Once I bought a few flake blends, I tried them in my Savinelli, and it smoked like a champ.

I don't know the science as to why this is the case, but that's what I read on all the pipe forums I frequented. I've found that if pipe smokers repeat the same advice wherever you go, there must be a reason why. You could get an enjoyable smoke with an English blend in a Dublin, but I've never spent much time experimenting with them to see if it works.

• Options
    Well I have found there are many factors to why a pipe smokes like it does starting with the width and shape of the chamber a pot shaped chamber will give a nice even smoke but tends to heat up as a narrow chamber is a bit cooler due to the air flow me I like a egg shape chamber so I get a little of both. Then there is the age of the brair I had aquired a few blocks from a friend who had bought them about 30 yrs or so ago and when I started to shape them they smelled like cookie dough as I was talking to him he said that most truly aged briar has this smell and will provide a unbelievable smoke now if this is true I dont know but he did end up buying 9 out of the 10 pipes it made leaving me with just one for myself and it does smoke wonderfully. Next I believe the stem funnel and draft hole play a big rloe on performance to big and it will over heat the bowl to little and you will be forced to relight to often witch to me seems to kill the flavor of the tobacco. I like a draft hole at about 5/32 to sometimes a 1/8. Now this is just my outlook on it and it may be wrong but it is what I have.