Home General
Options

Found A Kaywoodie White Briar Churchwarden

Four times a year the town of Crown Point, Indiana hosts the "Hunt And Gather Market" in the Lake County Fairgrounds. There are a variety of crafts, antiques, and flea market finds gathered together under one roof, including: hand crafted furniture, jewelry, candles, quilts, lotions, clothing, and homemade cookies and cupcakes, fudge and toffee, teas and coffee, bread, soup mixes, and jarred jellies, jams, and veggies. And even gourmet treats for dogs that look like fancy pastries from an upscale bakery. My wife and I make it a point to attend all four each year. This is our fifth year, and with each visit we end up discovering some kind of hidden treasure scattered among the junk that ultimately finds it's way home with us. Today I found myself a new pipe. This is actually the first time I've seen a pipe for sale in all the years I've been attending.

The pipe is a Kaywoodie White Briar Churchwarden. I've seen a few White Briar Kaywoodies on EBAY as well as an occasional Kaywoodie Churchwarden ... but never have seen a White Briar Churchwarden. Don't know if it's anything rare - or even how old it is, but with the exception of a little wearing on the white finish - which should be expected with age - the pipe was in fantastic shape. I took it home and gave the inside of the stem a thorough cleaning with Decatur Briar Fresh stem cleaner as well as a little whiskey and the pipe cleaner wasn't even discolored. The inside of the bowl looked barely smoked and the stinger wasn't tarred or tarnished. This pipe was cleaner than any estate pipe I've ever found. Based on the wear pattern of the white finish I was beginning to think the pipe may have been sitting in a desk drawer unused for many years  

The Vendor I bought it from said his wife picked the pipe up at an estate sale and thought someone might use it as a prop or decoration "since no one smokes pipes anymore". Little does she know I didn't buy this to use as a prop or decoration - and as soon as I've finished posting this message I'm going to give it a good smoke.

I'll do a proper Daily Briar Photoshoot at a later date, but for now I just snapped a few pictures to share with the group. And maybe someone can tell me how common the Kaywoodie White Briar Churchwardens were,  and the approximate age of the pipe. (The only other marking on the pipe is the number 95).

Comments

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, wow man! Looks like an awesome find. I love the look of it. So you say it's a white Brier? Stained white, painted or what? I never saw one like that. You should do a smoke review of it after you dig up some dirt you can find on it and share with us. Congrats on the cool find.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, wow man! Looks like an awesome find. I love the look of it. So you say it's a white Brier? Stained white, painted or what? I never saw one like that. You should do a smoke review of it after you dig up some dirt you can find on it and share with us. Congrats on the cool find.
  • Options
  • Options