Home Tobacco Talk
Options

C&D Nutty Irishman

I had promised Motie that I would review this blend when I received it from P&C. I have had it for several weeks but have been tied up and unable to get to this to smoke, and to follow up with my impressions.

I smoked it the other day after it had rested from its' trip from Pa. and had been in a mason Jar for about a week. I poured a bowlful out into my little dish and let it dry for maybe 2 hours or so. It has a nice aroma out of the jar and liquor notes are very apparent in its' presmoke state. The tobacco was not wet (even right out of the jar), and was a ribbon cut tobacco of what I recognize as Burley and some Cavendish. Loaded the pipe as I always do to just above the rim and tasted it through the pipe prior to lighting it up. Again, a light sweet taste with obvious liquor components. I had mentioned previously that I have had many Nutty Irishman drinks and they are good, and they can sneak up on you. I spent several days a few years back with some of my Navy buddies in Jim Thorpe Pa. and we ended one night VERY late drinking multiple Nutty Irishman to which I do not remember walking back to the hotel, but I digress. And, the drink that I like is Baileys' and Frangelica where as this tobacco is described as Irish Mist and Frangelica but I like the idea.

The fire was applied as usual and there was a very strong taste of liquor but still present was a nice basic tobacco flavor on the first draw. The liquor topping began to diminish in favor of the tobacco flavor, but was pleasant. This description sums up probably the first third to a half of the bowl. At that point the liquor topping came back being again on par with the tobacco flavor and pretty much lasted this way to the end of the bowl. Where I usually get just under an hour or so, this tobacco lasted perhaps 45 minutes and I am a slow smoker. I usually find that liquor applied tobaccos burn quicker than others and I always assume it is due to the alcohol content.

All in all an enjoyable smoke. Little to no tongue bite, easy on the retrohale, and the smoke smelled very nice to me although I can't categorize it as room note as I was on my screen porch. There was no dottle left in the bowl as it smoked down to a fine whitish grey ash and just gravity fell from the inverted bowl with a little tap.

I liked it and would smoke it again but probably not regularly. Although tasty, I am not a huge fan of liquor based tobaccos opting more for vanillas and some fruity blends, and just plain good old burley blends. Besides, I would not want my almost 7 pounds of Sutliff Vanilla Custard to feel betrayed or cheated on......in fact I am on my way out to my son's baseball game (41 years old still playing hardball) and I am taking my oldest CC pipe and my pouch of SVC, yay me after working all day.

Comments

• Options
    @pwkarch -- Thank you so much for remembering, and for a nicely descriptive and informative review.

You appear to be to Vanilla Custard what I am to Barbados Plantation, except I can only order it an ounce and a half at a time. (P&C finally has it back in stock at $6.99 - I just ordered two more tins -- Never ran out at Smokingpipes.com). I just have not gotten off my butt to order one ounce of every Sutliff bulk rum flavored tobacco to find out if there's a bulk analog to Barbados Plantation as there is to Molto Dolce: Creme Brulee.

But, isn't it great when you find the perfect pipe tobacco....for you. Sure, you'll some other things, occasionally, but your heart belongs to X and when you want to just lay back and enjoy a smoke, you reach for X. 

I'll probably order two more next month. SWMBO is asking questions already.
  • Options
    @motrie2

Next will be the Lane BS 005 that I bought. Quite pungent aroma in the jar, but I am willing to take one for the team. Usually I don't go for blends like this but I also don't want to be a one trick pony.

As I work away here I anxiously await the mailman as he is supposed to have 3 ounces of Russ's Chocolate Covered Espresso (and some more Lane Dark Red) in his goodie bag for me. I have been waiting for the CCE to be back in stock for some time now. I love the expected taste and aroma of that combination. I checked it out on several review sites but I never make a decision on what others say about a particular tobacco. Too many times I have had opinions 180 degrees out from reviews posted online.

When I get the CCE I will take it for a ride and report back.

Back to work.............
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- I appreciate your efforts. Maybe something about the Choco/Espresso blend, too?
  • Options
    @motie2

You bet......I could not wait, I smoked a bowl earlier this evening (impetuous huh) after working many hours today. It is now time for me to go shut my eyes, but I will put up a review tomorrow or this weekend.....quick comment, pretty good.