Home General
Options

Christmas & Seasonal Blends ... Do You Smoke Them Year Round?

I was just rummaging around in one of the chests that contain jarred up tobacco and came across a jar of Hearth And Home Egg Nog, and forgot I even had it. Seems it's something I only smoke during the winter months ... specifically December. Yet realized that I have pulled out C&D Corn Cob Pipe and Button Nose as well as Sutliff Christmas Spice on the odd occasion throughout the year when the mood strikes me. But for the most part I do restrict certain seasonal blends to the holidays and seasons intended, whether the actual blend warrants it or not. And wondered if members here did the same. Do you only smoke Christmas holiday blends during winter?

I have to admit Sutliff Pumpkin Spice does seem better suited for Autumn. As do the other holiday blends. But it just might be a mental thing, having more to do with the name and packaging. Or is there something about those special holiday blends that truly captures the essence of the season in a bowl? And if so, how does one capture the 'flavor' of a season? And what's more, should that flavor be jarred up, put on a back shelf and enjoyed only during the holidays. After all if I liked fruit cake (which I don't) what should keep me from enjoying it year round? Other than the fact that it only seems to be on store shelves during the Christmas season.

As I've gotten older I've become something of a traditionalist when it comes to holidays (specifically Christmas), and try to keep the old Sicilian family customs and traditions alive, like making seafood dishes for Christmas Eve (Feast Of The Seven Fishes). So maybe it's time for me to start a new holiday tradition by saving the holiday blends for the seasons intended, and not smoke them throughout the year. It's not like I have a ton of different seasonal blends other than Sutliff Christmas Spice, C&D Corn Cob Pipe And Button Nose, Boswell Christmas Cookie, and Egg Nog, and possibly Russ' Snow Drift (Christmas); and Sutliff Pumpkin Spice, the C&D Devil Doll, and maybe if I'm lucky I'll finally get some Sleepy Hallow (Halloween & Autumn). So with all the other blends in my cellar setting those aside for a special occasion shouldn't be a problem. If nothing else it gives me something to look forward to. And by only smoking during the holidays, my current supply should last me a lifetime.